Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is everyone using to maintain there battery for storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley jim, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I have been looking for a battery tender for my car but I am not finding many favoriable reviews on anything. what have you found that works!

2. I've never used one but I don't store my cars,,I drive them year round so the battery's stay charged. HRP

3. I've got a Battery Tender Jr. on my trailer's winch battery, seems to keep it up fine. Also use one on my 99 Tahoe in the -10 degree weather out here - keeps the battery topped up for quick starts in the AM.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Battery Tender Plus

Attached Files:

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I use the Harbor frt tender on everything from Corvette to Harley to 4 wheelers to golfcart to my qrtr mile car, and even on the extra batts my kids seem to drop off????

They are normaly $7.99. but on sale as cheap as $3.99. Harbor actualy will waranty them if they go bad, but hell for that price, pitch it and get a new one. Mine have lasted over 5 years so far, and never a dead battery.

I also have another brand big in Germany that works well. But Bang for the Buck? Harbor Frt hands down.

6. no55mad

no55mad

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Mustang 6147 said

7. Now that's a switch,,something from harbor freight that actually works. HRP

8. bb1970

bb1970

The only thing from that shit hole store that I have bought worth while is Evaporust.

9. iagsxr

iagsxr

I have half dozen HF tenders. They're all five + years old.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the battery should be at or above 12v before hooking it up. An actual Battery Tender the battery can be down to 9.6v. I suppose HF uses a cheaper transformer. So what I bought all mine for less than the cost of one Battery Tender brand tender.

10. oilman

oilman

I have two I bought at orielly's just cheap 20 dollar ones but they work great

11. Got three of 'em from 5 to 7 years old; one's run over n' it still works....

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I just have a master disconnect battery switch. don't start car up for months and ride fires right up every time.

13. I use and swear by both the Battery Tender and the Tender Plus. Schumaker has a nice new Tender style unit unit Ive seen on T.V., and the C-tek gets good ratings as well.

My Harbor Freight 4 1/2" Angle grinders out last my Ryobi's 2 to 1, TR

14. BTW, the Battery Tender PLUS has a 10 year warranty, for approx. $65 how can you go wrong. The regular Tender a 5 year warranty, not too shabby, TR

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ DUDE!! Your avatar! bwaaaaaaaah... too damn kool :)

Anyways, whats a temder? wouldnt a charger do just fine? Like keepin the battery disconnected and chargin it every month or so? Just curious.

16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I have used a Battery Tender on my O/T Corvette and that battery is now 10 years old and still works fine. Use one for my boat battery and another one that we just move around to keep utility batteries charged.

Never had a problem with any of them. Dropped them a few times and they can take a beating.

17. triumph 1

triumph 1

Battery tender plus. I move it atound to keep several batteries maintained. It has been working great for 2 years so far.

18. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I usr Harbor Freight's float charger also. I have 14 hooked up right now, one on each car, they have lasted for years, I buy them on sale at $4.99......can't be beat. I hate it when I want to drive a car and the battery is dead. I use them year around.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'm missing something here, why store your car away? If you are going somewhere haven't you got mates that can start your car for you every now and then until you get back?

Doc.

20. Fenders

Fenders

What he said... my wife used to store her OT car for 5 months every winter in a garage (unheated) ... disconnected the battery cable.
    Reconnected in the spring and it always started right up.

21. Back here in Nebraska where it gets all nasty in the winter cars just sit. I have had the best luck with Battery Tenders. I have a couple from Sears not much luck with them. I had some from HF but they didn't work to well.

22. Same with me. When its warm enough...and no SALT....I take them out.

23. I am with HRP i use my generator year round

24. What about using a regular battery charger on the lowest 1/2 amp setting?

Oldmics

25. billcove

billcove
    from mass

I have been using the hf ones for 5 years also with no problems

26. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I use an old cell phone charger with alligator clips attached where the plug was. Leave it hooked all winter. Never a problem

27. onlyfordmerc

onlyfordmerc

I have 7 Shumauker's (spelling?) and they work Great, I buy cheap 3 year battery's and I can get them to last 6 to 7 years with these tenders!! its definately the way to go!! they cost about $25 each and well worth it!!

28. Trickle charger that shuts down and cycles on when needed.

29. 1wrench

1wrench
    from Michigan

I use battery tender jr and a plus on my harleys, tractor, and car. Low current draw and maintenance not a charger so it won't cook your battery

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Battery Tenders on everything.