Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

2. Very cool find! I think 15" steels would be the way to go.

3. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

4. Cool car, cool history. 15" wheels, no question.

5. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

If I ever get a 57' I hope it has that trim. That is cool trim. I had a 55 Ford Wagon with a Y-block..........drove the wheels off it, and know that it is still going today.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. Fidget

Fidget

Good save! Don't forget to check really good for mouse damage in the wiring. Nothing like a fire caused by a short to ruin your day. Many of the parts from a 58 will fit on your 57....actually, almost all of them. There's also some use of the same parts on the Edsel too. I've always kicked around the idea of putting 57 bumpers on my 58. They have a little more style to them. Good to hear that you're keeping the Y-block. You won't be able to pop wheelies, but it's an original motor that most just throw out in favor or a 302. Some of the parts for it are a little pricey, as with all obsolete engines, and the go-fast parts are always pricey. Figure out if your engine is a 272 or a 292. John Mummerts site is a big help for referencing engine numbers. The thing about cars from this era is that you could buy the bottom line clunker, and have factory installed top of the line accessories put on it. Don't throw anything away that goes to your power steering, or trim!

I'd keep the 15" wheels. There is a lot of bounce and vertical travel, and the taller wheels will help. You also have to make sure anything else you try on there will fit around the brake drums. As someone else asked, did you get the wheel covers??

Since you mention the rain, when I got my car one of the most annoying things that took me forever to track down was a water leak between the dash and the kick panel. There is a small rubber drain hose on each side, that drains the water from the hood air intake to the outside. This was rotted out. You can buy the replacement hoses, but even with my girl sized hands, they were a bitch to put in.

7. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Yup got the original hubcaps, but if i run the 15's I won't be able to run them right? Also had some brand new wire caps inside the car, but i think they're kinda ugly.

edit: realized i haven't put any pictures of the interior up, i'll get some today.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. Fidget

Fidget

Your stock wheels aren't 15"?

9. tom406

tom406

1957 was the first year for 14" wheels on Fords. Same for Chevrolet, actually.

15's with correct '57 dog-dishes is a nice way to be period correct with radial tires that are tall enough. I put 15x7 chrome reverse wheels with 215/65/15s all around on my last '57 Country Sedan (292/auto). Really good combination for that car. It had 195/75/14's on it on the stock rims when I got it, they were too short and got lost in the wheelwells. Stock size bias plies are fine, height-wise, if that's the way you want to go.

Neat family history on that rig-best of luck to you!

Attached Files:

10. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Yup it has 14's all around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back seat is like brand new, front one has just a couple of rips but no need to recover them.

11. Way cool - ya did good!!

12. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

edit: nevermind I'm dumb haha. Got them off.

Had my brother out there polishing up the trim which it turned out really nice, pics later.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  13. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Looks like I'm in a pickle. Tried getting the back drums turned, but they're no bueno. No parts store can get them(when looking specifically looking at a fairlane). Tried ones from a 65 F100, but they won't work. This should have a 9" correct? You guys have any clue where I can order some drums, or a pair that can be cross referenced? Would really appreciate it.

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

15. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

WOW!!!! all that and a spotlight too........NEAT

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ive had good luck with napa stores for older parts. if they dont have them in stock, they usually have then next day.

17. let HOLLANDER be your guide:D

18. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I looked online and they didn't show anything, but i'll probably run down there monday.

dang they're proud of those suckers.. But its a start. Thanks!

Funny you're the first person to mention that on here. Everyone in person has said something about it haha.:D I think it's cool as hell, and I just realized it doubles as a mirror the other day :eek:

19. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

Great story and car.Just me.......but heck with the family history of the car.I think I would leave the body alone.
    That quarter panel story is hard to beat.

20. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

ugh, and it continues...

Still no luck with the drums. Went to put brake fluid in, and they're a bunch of crap in the MC. No telling if there's going to be crap in the lines. Also think it's going to need a wiring harness. All the wires are super brittle, and there's a couple that are snapped apart.

LSRU is looking less and less likely.:(

21. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

............don,t give up.That is normal.I do not post much,but do know these guys can help.Again,I love the history of your car.

22. slammed

slammed

Factor in a complete brake system overhaul. Shop and ask here as well where to find a really good deal for parts or kit. http://www.rockauto.com/ on line is a start. Next fuel system: tank inspection flush or replacement. Cooling system.

23. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

The drums were seized on my 55 Merc and I used Super-Blaster(?) penetrating spray and let them sit for a day. Then lightly tap around them with a bfh and have them turned once they are off. Replace the shoes, springs/clips, wheel cylinders, rubber lines, blow out the hard lines with contact cleaner and get a power booster/new master. Brakes done! I think the whole shebang cost me around $450. There are "kits" available on e-gay.

24. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Oh everything is new other than the drums, but they are pretty scarred and I'm kinda iffy about running them, but looks like i may have to for awhile..

New tank is in order due to it leaking. However i'm not sure i'll be able to handle the new wiring harness.

25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Iflip.Many years ago I had a 58 Ford that was in need of some new tires.Had a wrecked 53 Stude with new tires.Soooooooo,I thought that I would try the Stude wheels on the Ford.PERFECT fit.Car rode,drove and handled MUCH better with the 15" wheels.And the Stude caps looked pertty darn good on the Ford too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

26. cool car....cool story.

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm loving this thread. My very first memory ever is of my dad's '57 Meteor 4 door. Bought new when I was 2 years old. Love the "turbine" wheelcovers. Glad to see even cars in Texas get rust in the fenders behind the front wheel well. LOL I would love a '57 but I'm making do with a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria hard top. Ford started to chop some of their models in '56 I believe. Have fun and MORE PICS please!

28. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Thanks guys. Ya'll are keeping me motivated to get this car going for sure.

Think I may of lucked out some. The rear drums from a 57 thunderbird should work correct? Found some on summit for $32 a piece. It dosen't say in the applications that they will work for a 57 fairlane, but i don't see why they wouldn't..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ben-pdr0124/media/images/make/ford/model/fairlane

Link says its for a fairlane, but i cross referenced from a thunderbird. Just want to make sure before ordering.

29. Mart

Mart

When I did my 57 t-bird 25 years ago, I got some drums off a 57 wagon. Surprisingly, they didn't fit. I used them by making a thin spacer that still centred the drum, but spaced it out by about .1"

So be careful.

Mart.

30. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

:mad: Looks like 2 weeks were just wasted. Decided to take them to another Oreillys to try and compare some drums, but the old man said he would try to turn them, and what do you know they turned just fine. So I'm not sure if the kid was being lazy, or just didn't know what he was doing..

I'll get some pics of the little stuff I've been doing though. Sorry for another boring post :p