Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 1927 ford roadsters on dodge frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Nov 9, 2012.

1. sport fury

sport fury

would like to see photos of 1926 and 1927 ford roadsters on dodge frames from the 1920s to the early 1930s. the dodge frame i saw looked much like a 1932 ford frame and i would like to know what it would look like to put my 1926 ford roadster on such a frame.

2. bct

bct

can't say i have ever seen one. looking forward to it.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Damn...just go for it!

Don't be put off because it isn't to the "formula"...be inspired by the potential!
    Theres nothing new about using other than Ford parts to construct a Hot Rod thats essentially Ford based.
    The NieKamp roadster is a good example. I'm pretty sure that ran Essex frame rails!

4. sport fury

sport fury

i am hoping that the dodge frame would make a faily good perimeter frame. i like the model a frames under the 26 27 ford roadster but i wish the a frame was wider where the body sat on it. i was hoping someone had photos of such a set up

5. sport fury

sport fury

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I dont have any good pics o/ my dodge frame but I dont think I would put it under my 27 roadster. It is on an a frame. Good luck with your project. Gary:)

Attached Files:

7. sport fury

sport fury

the old dodge brothers frames don't curve like the 1932 ford frame rails do. might just be better off putting a curve in some 2x4 tubing and make my own custom frame to match the shape of my 1926 ford roadster body.

8. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

The dodge frames are huge. Way longer and wider than a T, and you will have to fab new mounts for all your suspension, unless you want it to look like a truck. 26-27 T's fit very nicely on a Model A frame. Get one and keep it simple.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I KNOW where you're coming from and I certainly don't want to influence you in either direction.
    In making a decision on what to use I'd look towards my ultimate goal and which starting point brings me there easiest.

A 2x4 perimeter frame is fairly easy but will require a lot of relief cuts and welds to make it conform to the body curve.
    Once it does follow that basic shape, is it finished?
    You also have to consider side view.
    Do you want to taper the front to resemble a factory frame?
    Will you be needing a rear kickup? That will need fitting and welding too.
    Crossmembers etc....

Build/modify BOTH frames on paper first to see which offers the most benefits for the least work...and also consider the final "look" of both to see if its the look you really want.

My warped brain seems to always lead me towards modifying original stuff but that doesn't necessarily mean thats the simpliest way! :eek::rolleyes::D

H.I. could be on to something with HIS recommendation! It's a time honoured way to do it!

10. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

That coupe body for sale?

11. This is the modified I built using 1919 Dodge framerails..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  12. Lamb

Lamb

that is a cool little modified!

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry it is not. It will be one of my next projects and super charged flat head ford v8 powered with a 5 speed. Gary:D

Attached Files:

14. sport fury

sport fury

this dodge frame looks simular to 1932 ford frame. i wonder how well a 26 27 ford roadster would set on this frame.

Attached Files:

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

fury go for it. There is really no rules just some loose guide lines. Build it with what you have or can get your hands on as inexpensive as you can.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 70's I drug a Dodge touring frame home out of a field and was going to use it to build a T style rod. That was when I only had big ideas and not nearly as much skill as I thought I did and it didn't go that great. I latched onto a Model A cowl somewhere and used sheet metal for the sides with the Dodge back end. Someone in Central Texas may still have that body laying around as I answered an add for a T bucket body after I traded it off to someone else and that was the body they were trying to sell.
    Anyhow enough of history, if you used a Model A front and rear crossmember and shortened it a bit I think you might have a good looking frame.

17. sport fury

sport fury

i overlayed a print of a 1932 ford frame over a print of a 1931 dodge frame and the perimeter was identical

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well if they are so close then you are half ways there.
    You will just need the skill to make it work under the T body.
    If it so close you sure will enjoy reading threads on here about what folks had to do when adapting these bodies to 32 rails.

Should not be much different...

19. sport fury

sport fury

the things about the 32 frame for the 27 ford roadster i don't care for are the price of the 32 frame and the rails in the center are 6 inches high. it looks out of porportion with the center of the body only 22 inches high. i am finding that the dodge frame rails are very tall as well. i saw a 29 30 dodge frame that was 5 and a half inches high. more and more i am leaning on just building
    the frame out of 2x4 tubing and bend it to follow the lower contour of the 26 27 ford roadster body.

20. sport fury

sport fury

anyone think this will work well

21. casper

casper

First of all... nostalgia59 that modified is way bitchin !!!! Second... I think a 26-27 T body will sit much better on flat frame rails. There really is no contour on the bottom of these model T's. You can put them on 1932 ( or 31 Dodge) frame rails, but maybe a little pinch at the cowl and no rear frame horns (bobbed) and you still have to trim a bunch of the subrails and floor. But all that effort does pay off with the end result looking just like something built before everyone started using 2" X 4" steel tubing. If you do use a model A frame (looks great also)... a modest "Z" in the rear will help with the stance. Just my goofy opinion.

22. I don't know if this helps, but I have a few photos of the '31 Dodge DH6 frame if needed.

Attached Files:

23. sport fury

sport fury

thank you

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...thats a nicely shaped frame!

25. I have a 24 dodge coupe and also have a 27 poliform body on a 25 dodge frame.
    The frame has been pie cut to fit the contour of the body, and it is pinched in the front to the width of the 27 firewall. the front of the frame was bobbed when I got it ,I added a pair of brookville 32 frame horns and 32 front crossmember, and the rear kicked about 4 inches...It is not like a truck frame it is 6.5 high and 2 inches wide and tapers down in the front to 2 inches to the horns,3/16 thick material. Rosette welding up all those holes (72 so far) is a pain.But it was pie cut by my Dad (ATWATER MIKE) and brother so thats not too much work for me.
    It will be a really good looking proportioned highboy when done. Its not that long either.Anyway it just gets trimmed off ,no fuss no muss.Will try to find a pick here or there to add on.Thanks for the boost

26. sport fury

sport fury

any updates on your project?

27. sport fury

sport fury

i saw a 1927 ford roadster on a 1932 Chevy frame on the hamb. it really look good

28. sport fury

sport fury

the 1931 and 1932 mopar frames are both similar to the 1932 ford frame.

29. The big difference between the 1931 DB frame and the 1932 DB frame is the "X" member in the center of the '32 frame.

30. sport fury

sport fury

the 2 frames seem to share the same top and side profiles of the frame rails.