Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad business?? Or is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick bastard, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

Here is a copy and pasted reply to my request

Our shop policy is that we do not refund deposits on custom orders once supplies have been ordered and work has begun.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Beechkid

Beechkid
    from SoCal

Understood but what they are doing also constitutes fraud- felony!

3. I am a little different than most of the fellas on here in that I never seem to get results via E mail, I know it is a 2 hour trip but it may be worth your while to actually show up and speak to them in person about the problem. Figure it like taking a drive to a good place to have a burger that takes some of the sting out of the drive.

Also for it to be legitimate company policy it needs to be written down somewhere otherwise company policy can change to suit the situation. I was actually told that by a labor attorney.

4. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

X2 This says it all,lets hope your workshop boy reads it and makes good!:cool:

5. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

X2

A ballbat to the knees sounds like a way to either pick up your finished product or 3k back.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this guy has a twin working near me. he has been taking peoples money and screwing them over for years. I know of at least 2 people who brought cars in, gave him thousands of dollars and now have niether thier car or money. that is just the tip of the iceberg.

evidentally if you have a business stealing money from people is not criminal, but a civil matter, where you sue them and win, but they don't actually have to pay.

I didn't have a real business, but did do several cars for people over the years. I always kept the work done vs the money paid within a couple hundred dollars of each other. if for some reason I were going to pay someone to do some work I'd do it the same way. if you don't give a person any way to screw you, it is much harder for them to do so.

one thing for certain, if I were getting screwed by a shop thier name, photos, address, phone number and email would be posted here for all to see.

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Slick Bastard.....................it's time you lived up to your user name.

I'd go visit them with some friends (and maybe the law) to claim everything that's mine from their shop. After I got everything out then I'd address the money issue.

8. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

sounds like you have paid a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing, i built the frame for my rat for under 1000, 2 by 4 tubing. i would consult the legal element in your case, at 3000 dollars i would be expecting to be staring at a pretty much completed frame. as well no reputable shop would ask you to poney up for hole saws and stuff

9. deto

deto

you're not getting the money back. You can try to go through small claims court, but if your time is worth anything, you might as well kiss the 3k goodbye. Roll up with a few friends and without being too confrontational pick up all of your property. Post pictures of what you picked up and then I will make some popcorn and hop back on this thread....

10. Last time I had to deal with such a situation I brought a couple of friends and the guy said, "I see you brought along some buddies to deal with me." Small Paul walked over and put his arm around the guys shoulder and said, "Nope his Ol' Lady sent us, she sad that she that she doesn't have bail money." The guy just got a funny look on his face and we came to an imediate agreement.

Ah those were the days when men were men and rubbers weren't invented yet.

I always hate to hear about someone taking a beating by some shop of some sort or another. Its like a tooth ache, you either loose a tooth or it gets fixed either way it feels better when it is over with. Hopefully this one will not be a lost tooth.

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You need to pay them a visit to discuss the frame and the situation and at least get YOUR parts back. As stated before I would also take a couple of LARGE buddies to at least witness the conversation !!!!!!!

I really dont know how you can sleep at night with this shit going on.

12. afaulk

afaulk

There are shops like this everywhere. Pay as you go is a good thing, but you the customer should be able to see progress each time you lay your money down. When you stop seeing progress take your project home, or to a different shop, immediately. If it's me I don't want any witnesses. Like PorknBeaner said old school.

13. I like old Beanos idea of a few of you and a few of your Neanderthal buddy's going to get your stuff back. HRP

14. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The shop is simply a losing shop. The "management"/owner is simply a loser. It is a losing proposition.

Time to get out and get a lawyer (even better would be to find a lawyer who is into cars).

Do not do business or associate with them again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  15. TexasDart

TexasDart

I think you need to grab some balls off the shelf...and go talk with this person. I'd be pretty upset about the whole situation...seems like he knows you ain't going to do crap. So he ain't worried.

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

Isn't that basically what you just did?

17. SUADES40

SUADES40
    from TRACY CA

on a side note theres other people and shops being mentioned in this thred THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS and that aint right ....i think it was wrong to let folks assume or even guess who it was .. my 2 cents man up ....

18. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Wow. I work at a shop and I know that we piss people off because we take to long to complete stuff. Kind of irks me but what can I do? The owner takes in so many jobs that it's impossible to get them out in a timely manner. No lie - We have 40 + cars and 6 mechanics/fabricators and 3 body shop guys. To his credit, my boss never takes someones money before we work on the vehicle. To the contrary, he usually owed anywhere from 25,000 to 80,000 when the car is delivered. Do that math. Wow.

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Just remember....no one fist fights any more. Most carry guns and that it can turn bad very quickly! I vote for the lawyer idea.

20. Nocero

Nocero

I would visit and talk to him in person. If there is not an agreement where you part ways with your parts and the unfinished frame. I'd not give him a dime more but give him 3 weeks to complete the frame as agreed upon less the holes and I would have th balance in cash and a trailer. If it is up to the quality you expect pay the man an take the frame.
    If it is not ready I would cut off all communication and contact a lawyer.

21. Avgas

Avgas

You can tell me who it is, I'm in Australia & I won't tell a sole!

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I read through about 48 posts and I saw nothing but rehashed suggestions so I skipped the rest. My frecommendation, probably already said several times by now, go IMMEDIATELY to the best lawyer you can afford. You need not bother 'warning' or threatening' the shop that you will go to a lawyer........just hire the lawyer and let the lawyer do his job........if the shop has a valid defense, the lawyer will find that out too.

Anything else is waste of time and breath at this point.

Ray

23. LOL,,I couldn't help but laugh when someone mentioned a weapon,,or a fight.
    This guy,,,(Slick),,,is from Texas,,and hell,,,,,He won't even pick up the phone and call the guy.
    I don't know about most people,,but 3 grand is a lot of money to me,,,I would be mad as hell if it was my money being taken.

Unless,,,,,,,maybe the whole story is not being told here?

If you are in the right,,,,I hope it works out for you.

Tommy

24. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

If that was their entire answer to your email then you're dealing with one hell of a bunch of assholes.

I grew up in this business, from car washer to painter to manager to owner. Unfortunately - for you - the shop holds ALL the power. They have your frame and your money. You can go to small-claims or the BBB and you'll likely just be ignored. All you can really do is demand they finish the dammed project and hope for the best.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All this whining is useless without a name. PHTTTTTTTTTTT.

26. RichG

RichG

Exactly. If you're being honest with us and things have gone down as you've stated here, then put their name up and let them defend themselves here... because obviously you're not capable of dealing with this on your own.

If I was in the same situation I would have gone to the shop, taken what was mine, and made damn good and sure that everyone who I knew was aware of what happened.

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Naming these people here, and expecting that to have any positive bearing on the outcome, is laughable. It might even have an adverse effect. You guys take yourselves entirely too seriously. This situation is what courts are for. Times awastin'..........

Ray

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  28. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Slick,

I think all the Hambers that have responded to your original questions have been straight-up with their answers, and in return the majority of us want to know who the other party is.

So c'mon..........give us the name.

29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Not so sure about that Ray. Don's Hot Rods here on the Hamb has made shit happen in Russia.

30. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

I have said this three times now I believe. I know y'all want to know who the shop is. I have told y'all that I am letting them know of this thread and give them a chance to make it right before putting them on blast.
    It is possible that they got into a tough time and I was the one unlucky customer. If that's the case I would hate to ruin their chances of other business that they may handle in the correct way.

I know my screen name is " slick bastard". It is not that because I think I am one. I have a friend who told me about this board and had an account that he never used. He let me browse on his account and I just kind of took over it. I feel kinda embarrassed about the name.

I have also called this business. I have only been able to get in touch easier through emails. I prefer them to deal with me in email form as well because that means I have every single conversation with them in writing. I have a feeling I am going to need it better than a he said she said story if a lawyer gets involved.

I have friends in Austin who have gone by for surprise visits to reclaim my parts and doors have been locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.