Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thompson Shoebox Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el diablo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

That shit looks good DadsBlueFord!!! Nice cuts and gap and everything. The only advice I can give you is next time you cut a panel like that do it after or before the brake if possible so when you go to grind it back down after its all welded up your on a flat surface and not an edge... I know this because I have done it myself more than once and its easier to grind a flat surface rather than a corner. You can grind the corner but its gonna take some time to get it straight and not lumpy at all when you look down it...

This is my first custom but I have done enough patch panels and what not before I started this project, Plus I set a deadline for myself so I can drive my car this summer. (Finger crossed)As for your work being slow who cares its your car, take your time and do it rite. When its all done you'll be stoked you did.

I made both my rocker panels and lower front quarters by hand by bending the metal between two pieces of pipe that I tacked together about 1/8 apart. Sometimes it takes the caveman in us to get shit done. HAHA. I did end up getting a slip roll after the fact.... Figures:)

2. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks for the comments

hombres ruin and sideweeler!

Yeah the sideways tank thing is a grate idea. It would save time and leave room for a tire, plus you could just hide the fill neck with interior if you wanted to I guess. Makes me think Im doing shit the hard way again...

I still need a damn cap tho and even eBay shit is kinda more expensive than what I thought... Being cheap sucks sometimes.. HAHA

3. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks. Yeah, you live and learn. I welded it up this afternoon and ground it, and it's already lumpy. I think I need to get some PSA paper for my long sanding board to smooth it out. Any other tips to get it smooth?

The driver's side should definitely take less time, since I have a better idea what I'm doing and how not to screw up as bad.

As far as time, I'm treading thin ice, because as long as the car is in pieces taking up the whole garage, the Boss can't park her car in there, and that makes her pissy. Especially when it's 15* outside. Also, the car is only sorta mine. It's on loan to me from my 4-year-old daughter. It's eventually gonna be hers. I was going to do a blue metallic or maybe dark copper color, when the Boss suggested I ask my daughter what color she wants HER car to be. "PINK!" Um, no. "Okay, purple!" Purple I can do. Gonna be 2010 Challenger Plum Crazy. Going for more of a hot rod vibe, with some kustom touches. I'd like to chop it but that's WAAAAY beyond my comfort level.

4. A 66-67 Fairlane/comet gas tank has a side inlet and I think the rest of it is same as a mustang tank..I used one from a 67 comet. I didn't, however, hook up the external filler to my comet tank because I had a 49 with the double-ugly gas filler pipe with no door [I welded it closed and filled it] ...ended up filling the tank from in the trunk but you '50-51 guys should be able to take advantage of this tank and hook it up to your '50-'51 filler tubes

Attached Files:

5. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Finished the side trunk floor panels and fit everything today.(Its just laying in trunk I just need a cap now so I can knock out the door and box for the gas cap/filler and then install this thing and move on to the notch cover.

Attached Files:

6. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Damn that's nice!

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I'm so digging the trunk how about a tech how to? I'm so stealing the idea to hid my Mustang tank.

8. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks guys!

I don't think this is tech worthy but thanks! If you cross this bridge and would like to know how I did a certain part of it just ask. I think this is defiantly the long way around installing a mustang tank for sure.

I can tell you that the outside floor panels were the hardest to make a pattern for but once you have that it's just like anything else.

9. msalamanca

msalamanca

I am also.

10. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

msalamanca: Cool, cant wait to see what you come up with.

I found a flip gas cap from an old speed boat thats killer, just needs a polishi'n.
    Here are install pics. I still need to get some sort of hinge that will stay under the door and allow it to open up without a big ugly gap. Other than that I can do a final fit and then weld the damn thing up and move on with life. Not sure on finish yet either....oh yeah and a vent tube I think...

I have a job starting tomorrow that will pretty much keep me busy for the next 5-7 days solid so I wont be working on my shit for a little while, but the good news is I should make some money that I can waste on my car:D

Attached Files:

11. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That's bad ass!

How about just a piano hinge?

12. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks man. How is your car coming?

I bought a weld in piano hinge and its just too big I guess.... Maybe two real small ones would do it?

13. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Good, I got the top of the rocker welded in, started on the bottom and ran out of welding wire. Picked up a 10# spool today, so that ought to last me a while. I'll get back at it tonight.

Do you, or anyone know - the rockers were originally just spot-welded on. Should I just do a series of spot/plug welds or weld the entire bottom seam? Sure is a pain in the ass laying on my back trying to weld the damned thing.

14. daddio211

daddio211

This is a little larger than needed, but the shape and idea might give you something to work with...

uploadfromtaptalk1358311235428.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

I just stitched mine. They were spot welded from the factory.

I agree with having to lay on your back and weld.... always seems like I hit a spot thats not super clean and I get a nice spark shower followed by the one or two rouge cherries that make their way to some part of my skin....HAHA.

16. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks daddio221,

If a few real small piano hinges don't do it, I may have to make some sort of small hinge set up similar to that.

17. daddio211

daddio211

I've never had good luck with piano hinges, its either alignment issues or they don't operate smoothly once installed. I'm sure you'll work it out in spades though.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Shit, you jinxed me! That exact thing happened to me about 1/2 hour ago, damn near in my armpit. Burns like a muthafucka!

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

If i had a showbox i'd think this was a shot of my trunk in progress. I braced the frame for the tank the same way !! LOL
    Your rised floor looks amazing anyway, you really do some amazing work. I wish i could have hid the tank, but had no space...
    Keep the pics comin, lots of neat ideas :)

[​IMG]

20. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

blueford:

Sounds like your not wearing your welding gear:D I don't even own a welding jacket... maybe we should invest.HAHA

The best is when it burns through or just straight falls in your shoe and you cant get the thing off and just end up jumping around making sounds or yelling curs words for a 30 seconds or so till the shit burns out.:eek:

Bonez: When I started reading your post I was like... Damn his trunk area does look just like mine... oh yeah that is my car. Long day I guess.

Im doing a respray of a 94 ZR1 for the next few days so I wont have anything for a bit but ill get back on it. Im going to acid finish the panels I made and then just clear them I think... still debating but I have never seen anything like that done on car panels. It should look slick and sorta go with my car color if I pull it off rite.

Thanks guys Ill post more when I got em.

21. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I was wearing my Miller cotton welding jacket, but it just burned right through that shit. It works great for sparks when standing, not so much for big chunks of molten metal falling straight down on me. Then it rolled around in my sleeve zapping me til I could get my ass out from under the car. Needless to say, I ordered a leather welding jacket first thing today. Thanks to Amazon Prime it'll be here tomorrow, though!

Looking forward to more updates!

22. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Weld in the shoe? Check
    Weld in the arm pit? Check
    Weld bounce off the helmet into the ear? Check
    Weld bounce off the helmet off the glasses and into the eyeball? Check
    Isn't welding fun. I can't get eye surgery because of the weld in my eye. Had to have it scrapped out very fun. No scaring but made it wavy. I'm the worst when it comes to safey I know I should wear long pants and the once worn welding jacket. I'm bad for not wearing gloves. Don't tell the wife!

23. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Looks like you got your bases covered. I have taken a spark to the eye from my cut off wheel that I had to get dug out after it rusted to my eye. I was wearing safety glasses and it bounced off the inside of the lens.... G figure.

Saw a buddy of mine take one in the ear. I'm still waiting for that one.

I used to weld dirty galvanized pipe for a stall company.... Talk about flying sparks and shit.Haha

24. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I can't afford anything in the eye - I'm a pilot, that would be career over. Got my leather welding jacket and better gloves from Amazon today. One day delivery, gotta love Prime!

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hm...I have been working something like 15 yrs as a metalworker,but so far i havent hear never about the welding jacket.But we have welding aprons at the work.
    I have ruined so much clothes past years by welding that you could easily dress a small developing country with those rags.
    I guess i have to check out if there is any jackets on epay..

26. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

27. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Not to worry DadsBlueFord.

I have been wet sanding a plastic car all day and wish I had something to post but I don't. I did have a guy drop off a set of 47 ford front fenders for me to straighten out some damage and fill in some holes on.

Good to hear you made some progress on your ride. Keep it going! Im going to the GNRS next weekend so I'm sure I'm gonna be itchen to get back at my build after seeing all the sweet cars at the show.

Blueford beat me to it finnrodder but yeah a welding jacket is basically a leather jacket that you wear over your cloths to protect you from sparks and cherries.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i did some homework concerning that jacket and bought one.I think its good to wear it when tig welding too.I have always wondered how many reality-tv stars will catch a skincancer because wearing only t-shirt while tig welding.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

A picture taken as I began to mount the Mustang gas tank sideways allowing room for the spare tire well. It fits well with no need for heavy square tubing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  30. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

That looks like it could work out for ya. Are you leaving the gas fill door on the outside of the body?