Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dustless paint removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VoodooTwin, May 28, 2012.

1. txturbo

txturbo

When you have it adjusted correctly the water and media run out at about the same time and the vessel is empty. The cone (#31) is at the bottom of the tank and the pipe(#26) is the inlet for the water/media. The distance between the cone and the end of the pipe is what controls the amount of water/media entering the blast hose. It doesn't clog....I've logged about 30 hours of use so far and haven't had a clogging issue. I've even left a half pot full sitting for a week and went back and powered it up and immediately went back to blasting with no problem.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

3. txturbo

txturbo

Thats been on there for several months at least....that car is for sale at thier shop BTW.
    I need to start blasting cars in exchange for more projects.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. carbuilder

carbuilder

txturbo if you can take a guess when you look inside about the cone shape & size plus any other info you might be able to come up drawings parts names ect with that would be great. If I was 10 years younger I would probley just by it but at 65 I just cant justafy 8 to 10 k & dont have it, thanks a bunch.

5. txturbo

txturbo

I posted the parts diagram a few posts back....as far as the size....I think the pipe is 1-1/4" but I can measure it later this weekend.

6. rascal55

rascal55

AT 5 grand I might wait for the Harbour Freight version !!!!

It sure seemed to do a nice job on the rusty chevy though !!!!

7. carbuilder

carbuilder

txturbo I saw the parts picture. what kind of preasureare you setting the gage at & is there more then 1 preasure gage. also for the parts list do you have a parts name page so we can match a parts description to the # my wheels are turning, one of the big set backs for me is the freight on the media. About how much glass media did you use blasting your body.

8. txturbo

txturbo

I won't be able to scan the description page until monday. There is only one pressure gauge and the regulator is set at 100 psi. I don't know exactly how much media I used just for the body. I did my cab inside and out, the frame/suspension and the doors and the front fenders so far. I think I've used 20 bags but I had to redo some of it because I ran out of time the first time and didn't get primer on it soon enough because of the weather. I still need to do the bed parts and the hood. Check with a local blasting supply near you for the media...they ship this stuff all over the country.

9. carbuilder

carbuilder

txturbo any help is great on the machine plus your feed back on is usage. I talked to the blast co & they quoted me about $750 freight from Cal to me I am in Seattle for 1 pallet plus the $10 per bag Total $1150 approx that works out to $28.50 per bag I am working on a couple of different wet blast ideas & trying to find a glass media distributor closer. The freight is a killer. Have you tried to resuse your media they claim it can be used 4 times. When blasting about how far are you from the panel & what kind of angle are you blasting at. On your blasting head about how large is the hole the water & media come out of. Is the tip in the head ceramic steel or what did they give you a price sheet on the blaster consumables or a parts list picture on the head/handle.

I just want to be able to due doors fenders small parts not intrested in full bodys. back & fourth to the blast shop for a couple of panels or parts just makes it tough plus the blast fee & the fuel ect & if ther is any depth of filler from an old repair it has to be mechanicaly stripped. Customers arent intrested in paying for another 3 hrs driving time plus fuel on a couple of parts that need blasting thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  10. txturbo

txturbo

I haven't tried to reuse the media yet. I just moved all this equipment to my other location thats about an hour and a half drive from here. So it will be at least a week before I'm there again. Reusing it hasn't been an issue yet because its easy to just go pick up another 10 bags. Now that I moved everything I will probably start reusing it.
    When blasting I have the end of the nozzle about 12" away and at about 45-60 degrees angle depending on the area I'm blasting. The blast hose is pretty big...its 3/4" blast hose...so the ID is 3/4" on the hose and I think the nozzle opening is somewhere between 1/2"-3/4"

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Blasting a car without removing trim, bumpers, glass...what the hell?
    Just to show the process i would guess.

12. carbuilder

carbuilder

txtrbo I am still working on a less expensive piece of equipment even if it only works half as fast as yours I will be money ahead. Adout how long do you think it take you to do a fender out side area just guessing. Thank you again for all your info & starting this thread.

13. I saw a process at some show I went to using crushed dry ice as the medium and it looked pretty promising as it completely evaporated - I think it was an expensive commercial unit but it seemed to do a great job. Just another method.

14. txturbo

txturbo

Just the outside stripping paint only....about 10-15 minutes. If there is surface rust it takes longer.

15. carbuilder

carbuilder

Txturbo thanks and the wheels are turning.

16. MorMetal

MorMetal

I bought a DB150 for the shop a year ago. We mostly blast raw metal to etch it for primer/paint. It's high carbon steel so I was concerned that glass would work as well as sand. Turns out it works great. Add the rust inhibitor and we have 24 hrs to prime before surface begins to turn. SE Texas has high humidity so we need the additive unless we are priming in a few hours.

This model has an air driven vibrator on the side of the tank. That keeps everything agitated so it feeds without any issue.

I buy pallets of the medium media and shovel up the spent media a day later and reuse it twice more before it's too powdery to have any effect.

Shop air is 120 PSI @ 100 CFM. That didn't work. I rented a 185 CFM compressor. Did that for 3 months. Realized I was sold on the machine and found a used Compressor off-rental for $4K.

MorMetal

17. carbuilder

carbuilder

Good to know some one else on here has on.

18. txturbo

txturbo

You're welcome......here are some more scans.

Attached Files:

19. carbuilder

carbuilder

Great I will post more on my cheapo system once I get it together and working. I have located a sorce closer to me for the glass Media & will have it avaliable for any one in the Seattle area or upper north west who might want some ground glass media for there own blasting I will be firming up that deal this week.

20. I called DB just now. $8,250 for the DB225. Thanks for all the info here. I need a blaster. The DB just isn't going to work for me

21. carbuilder

carbuilder

Stay tuned guys I will have a whole lot less expensive system in the next few weeks. I just want to do some testing, striping capabilitys & the amount of time to strip a panel. I will be using the crushed glass media as it can be dried out easly & re used mixed in with fresh media if you are real frugal on using media. Just rember fresh media will always cut faster & dosent require additional labor to gather dry & prep for reuse.

22. markkm

markkm

I'm still tuned carbuilder, waiting for your system. I to would like to build one.

23. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

Next door neighbor is looking at buying one for his restoration shop. maybe I can take it for a test run and finally get the 3 layers of paint off the 64.

24. elitecustombody

elitecustombody

Hey,carbuilder , I'm wondering how is your system coming along, any updates?

25. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

maybe sombody should go check on carbuilder. it might of grenade on him

26. racur96

racur96
    from tn

A friend of mine who has a blasting business just ordered one of the dustless blasting systems. Should be in sometime this week, ill check back in later and post on how it performs.

27. nummie

nummie

Subscribed. Hoping carbuilder didn't get hurt in some freak wet blasting media explosion.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

I'm seriously thinking of buying one also and doing this as a side gig.

29. carbuilder

carbuilder

Guys sorry about not getting back a ton of medical issues poped up at my house. Other half had open heart surgery, & I am just finishing up 2 back surgerys & 1 neck surgery. Yes I did put together a system did some blasting & it worked fairlyl well.Not as well as the Texas system but I have about $1000 in it. I bought a 3800 psi preasure washer & a siphon blaster attchment from northern tool. I blasted a pair of 36 chev front fenders. It blasted away the rust & paint very well. I bought a pallet of the glass media that the Texas company uses & sells. The only thing I will change for future blasting is if doing individual pieces make a rack to hang them from. If any one in the north west wants to do this I do have the glass media avaliable 50 lb bags $15.00 each.

30. markkm

markkm

If anyone out there has a DB150 can you measure the pipe coming out the top for me please, no need to take it apart just where it slides at the top.