Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio Speaker Cuts In Door Panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modifieddriver, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Can someone please explain to me what goes through the mind of all the MORONS that cut holes in nice original door panels to mount aftermarket radio speakers??:confused::confused::eek::eek::mad::mad: .

I think the mindless morons should have their asses kicked :D .

Anybody else here feel the same way?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. kustombypook

kustombypook

Probably the same "moron"s who feel the need to lower a car that has perfectly good suspension, or chop a car that has perfectly good glass, or shave working door handles off a car...Get it. It's their car to do as they wish.

3. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

Gotta heve tunes when your cruisin.

4. Yeah, I kinda' get it, but I don't think that's a valid comparison, but I see where you're coming from.

I doubt the "Morons" you're talking about are the same "Mindless Morons" I'm talking about. The ones you're talking about probably have enough engine noise that they couldn't even hear a radio if they had one ;):rolleyes: . I fall into that category :eek:.

Why not screw up the kick panels instead of nice door panels?

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Some times there is no other place to put speakers and the holes can always be welded up if needed,I usally try to mount speakers in the kick panels so I dont have to cut and now some of the speakers are made to fit shallower areas unlike the old days when the speakers required a deeper area to mount so if you dont like the holes weld them up or put speakers back in and have some tunes. Now little 3 inch speakers are made so you can mount a pair in the dash where the original went and then mount a pair in the rear deck area and you can have 4 and no major cutting but back in the day you had to deal with what was available

6. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I guess you bought a car, and the door panels are cut? Only thing you can do is buy used skins, or aftermarket...

Most older cars had vents in the kicker panels. So many people in the 70`s 80`s ran speakers in the doors...Shit, some still do today...But now the have kits that protude outwards, so people dont have to cut huge holes.

7. I get where your coming from Frank,,,usually a car with door opanels also have kick panels,,,the door cutters don't even give that a thought,,,just gotta have the tunes,:confused:HRP

8. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

kind of like these.....
    [​IMG]

9. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

kind of like cutting up a nice dash to for your Radio...... (it's been a few years, but i'm guilty of that one).... i figure most anything can be "un-done"...

i just mounted my radio and 2 speakers completely up under the dash out of view, it took alot of time but I guess i just want it stealthy.

10. No, I didn't buy a car with whacked up door panels that need repairing.

But I was looking to buy a nice older car. I went to look and the "Door Panel Whacker" worked his magic on what was otherwise a GREAT car.

Ya' can't repair the damage because then the doors won't match the rest of the interior and will stick out like a sore thumb. OR, live with the damage (for me, not a viable option).

So, I close the car doors, leave without the car and will let the next guy figure it out.

Years ago a rear seat speaker was the hot set-up. Rear package tray and metal under it was whacked with an axe. That's easily repaired.

Upholstered doors are a different deal.

I really like whack jobs on later model plastic door panels. That really leaves a "nice personal touch".

11. Hell, the accessory ones available for a lot of 60's cars you had to cut a hole in the door. Years back a single REAR speaker was a big deal!

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Being a card carrying moron, they were just cheap used cars when we were updating the AM radio so that we could listen to Mo Town or the British invasion in stereo. A 19 year old kid had no idea that a 65 Chevelle would ever be worth what it is today. When we did it, we actually improved the value of the car. You had to be there in that time to understand the thinking. Trying to apply today's standards to a completely different time period never makes sense. It made perfect sense back then.:D

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If we start an exclusive club for the morons that cut door panels, I am in. :)

I have cut door panels to put in speakers and if I need to, I will do it again.

Do as you did; if you don't like it, move on the the next car.

If I did not want the speakers in the door, I would replace the door panels. Having cut door panels doesn't make it a parts car for everyone.

Neal

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

No offense modifieddriver, but you're being a girl about this. Time to cowboy up, parnter!

At one time that was just a damned used car, and fell into the hands of someone that treated it as such.

A little ingenuity and 50 or $100 at an upholstery shop and they can disguise it better than you might think. I've got some ideas, PM me if you're interested.

I know what you're saying, holes in the panels look like S***. Just put some speakers back in them to replace the $2 ones that were removed!!! :D

15. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Holy cow that's true!!!!! LOL 6x9's in the door would have been a selling point!!!

Even when those were just clunkers I knew cutting the dash was bad news...besides you'd have to remove like half of it to fit in an 8 track :D

Nobody ever seemed to think about putting the radio in the glovebox...don't wanna mess that up!!! :rolleyes:

16. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frank - you can't hear the engine unless you've got yer ear "plugged in":p No wonder you don't need door speakers! See you@ the Village in a few weeks. vic

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I think if you're passing up good cars cause of hacked door panels you're living in the past.

Unless that interior is weathered to where it needs replaced anyway, fixing the panel is nowhere near the ordeal you make it out to be. This is what custom tinted dyes, professional upholstery shops, and internet commerce is for. Finding the unfindable, then making it match your car perfectly. If it's just metal repair, a decent painter can make it match

happy buying

18. Then I guess I'm still living in the past :eek:.

I bought a '69 Plymouth Road Runner brand new. When I got rid of it in '75 I never whacked a thing on that car.

Oh yeah, I saw it a few years ago. It's a survivor with virgin doors!!!!!!!

Back then I spent all my energy doing serious whack jobs on '55-'57 Chevys and Fords to turn them into oval track race cars.

I can remember pulling the side trim off those cars and folding it in half over my knee so it would fit in a 55 gallon drum.

So don't think I haven't screwed some nice cars up, 'cause I have. But no speakers in the doors. Instead I'd just take a torch and cut the entire f#cking inner sheet metal out and not have second thoughts about it :eek::eek:.

Oval trackers back then (and today) have no conscience when they have a torch in their hands!!!

19. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

If you are finding great cars except they have holes in the doors and thats the reason you are walking,,,,,,,,, find a new hobby.

20. I don't need you or any other Mother F*cker telling me what I should or shouldn't do when it comes to the old car business. Anybody that personally knows me and has seen my fleet of old Fords and Chevys knows that I'm very selective in what I buy that's a keeper.

Don't think by any means that because I passed on a car that was whacked that I'm walking. I have more good '48 and older stuff right now than most people could ever imagine having. Why? Because I'm a shrewd selective buyer.

Truth be known, I probably stepped on your toes because you're one of those brain dead F*ckin' Morons I mentioned that ruined a pair of perfectly good 50 year old door panels to mount your K-Mart Blue Light Special $4.95 speakers.

21. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Then why post this crap? To show us the sand in your mangina burns?

22. I've got your mangina hangin' :eek: and waitin' for ya'. Get it while it's still hot :) .

23. It's raining here and I'm pissin' away some time and happen to see this old thread I started.

I still have my mangina hangin', but it might be somewhat cooled off ;):eek:.

Let's get all fired up again :cool::). I love stirrin' up the sh!t.

24. upspirate

upspirate

Oh go cut a door panel!!:p:D

25. Guys on here rebuild a car almost from only having a vin tag . Sorry buddy no tears for you today :p :rolleyes:

26. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

I used to install car audio for a shop and people would love to do the gaudiest installs. Seems like people just wanted to visually see the product but whatever they wanted though I got paid. I always liked clean stealthy installs. I'm with you modifieddriver then people wonder why they can't sell there shit for what they think its worth. Looks like shit!

27. This makes me chuckle; back about 1976 or 1977 a friend went out and bought his dream car. It was a 1969 Chevelle Malibu; burgundy with a black vinyl roof. He spent a whole Saturday installing an awesome 8-track. Then he cut holes in the cherry virgin door panels and put in a great set of speakers. When he was done, "Frampton comes alive" never sounded so good! It was shortly after that that he tried rolling up the windows and found that they hit the back side of the speakers! He moved the speakers and then drove around with great gaping holes in the doors from that day forward! Lol

28. I'm one of them. Didn't have a VIN tag, just started with a pile of rectangular and round tubing. Good enough for the customer to make it in the Aug '12 issue of Hot Rod Magazine. So I consider myself in the group you mention.