Register now to get rid of these ads!

**RED-EYE-KUSTOMS '30 Coupe build thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RED-EYE-KUSTOMS, Jul 11, 2012.

1. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

[/COLOR]I had a '30 Sedan that I played around with for 4-5 years and had a lot of fun with. I had always liked the look of the coupes and thought it would be cool to build my own but for whatever reason settled for the Sedan.
    [​IMG]
    Well I finally pulled the trigger last August/September sold the Sedan and figured I would give it a shot. So I picked this coupe up from a guy in Anahiem last October, have been collecting some parts and deciding on the direction I want to go.
    [​IMG]
    Its already been chopped (not sure how much) and has some patch panels and other body work that obviously is going to have to be addressed. This will be my first but figured that its a descent start for a beginner. Have her about 1/2 stripped now and will be moving on.
    [​IMG]
    Plans for the car:
    350 small block, turbo 350 trans, Supreme wheels with M/T Radir cheaters and Firestones at the front, disk on the front/'55 Chevy rear end, '32 grill, suicide front end, drilled Super Bell dropped beam w/ split wish bones, buggy spring at the rear w/ ladder bars, 2x6 frame, a little of this and that and some day when its all finished a flaky burnt orange and white/off white color combo.
    I had to throw the body on just to get an idea.........
    [​IMG]
    I think this is close to the stance that I'm going to go with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point I have all my steel for the frame and have strated on my rear spring hangers.
    [​IMG]
    I will be welding on some 3/16 plate along the outer edge of the hangers to give it that I-beam look and hopefully add some strength to them. I thought that this was going to be a much quicker process than what its turning out to be so far. I will post up some pics as it progresses and can only hope that it turns out to be half as good as the wicked rods that I have seen here! Looking to build a wicked safe rod and open to suggestions.
    Thanx for the look!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Sounds like it will be a fun ride, keep the updates coming.

3. drflex

drflex

looks about right.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

That's about a 4 or 4and 1/2 in chop

5. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Thanx HomemadeHardtop57, wasn't sure what a stocker sits at.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project. should clean the blue coating off tires ASAP, might end up with permanent blue tires.

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. Maratrodz

Maratrodz
    from Wa

I bet my car will be done before yours. Looks good bro.

9. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

I have been able to get out into the garage the last couple days and was able to get the buggy spring hung on the rear end. I made up some braces for the spring hangers, got everything welded up, built a spring spreader and hung her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Will be starting on the frame next...........

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  10. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    <TABLE id=post8015788 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Maratrodz<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8015788", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_8015788 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: **RED-EYE-KUSTOMS '30 Coupe build thread**
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I bet my car will be done before yours. Looks good bro.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    You better make sure you weld that mofo up nice and tight cause when mine is done I'm gonna blow your freakin doors off!!

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

12. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

So I have been working on the frame and such a little at a time and figured it was time to post a few pics. Not much but a step closer to the end. Rear frame z complete with spring perch. Now moving on to the front end........[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanx for the look.

13. TinShed

TinShed

Nice work, what are you using to make the cuts on that metal? Nice and clean!

14. Drivinford

Drivinford

Very nice work.

15. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Looks like a great build...I'd opt for a 4 or 5 speed manual though. Nothing like banging through the gears. My .02

16. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Thanx, I've been doing all my cuts with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder then finished off with a flap disk and holes done on a drill press. I went out and bought a brand spankin new Dewalt chop saw and have had better luck with my angle grinder.

17. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

I went and talked to a local tranny shop and the guy said a 350 would be good. I've kinda been thinking more along the lines as what you just suggested though.

18. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Gona look great nice fab work.

Jake

19. KIRK

KIRK

I like the way you put the uprights into the frame rail. Not only looks good but should be strong. Very nice job.

20. good build, keep the updates coming........

21. deto

deto

I'm digging the mock up and fab work. I really like the 3D hole effect. I know that takes some decent planning. Very cool.

22. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Thanx again for the kind words! Trying to find a spring for the front and then I can continue on. All the killer work/builds on here keep the motivation and juices flowing.
    Thanx

23. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Update-03/30/2013
    Original plan was a 350/350 combo but just couldn't bring myself to do it. I might as well build it the way I want the 1st time around. I have been looking at the Cadillac engines for a month or so and pulled the trigger on this sweet 390. The only thing missing is the generator and fan. Engine was running when pulled from the car and been sitting for 2 years. One step closer........
    [​IMG]

Just need to find a spring for the front and then I can start the front of the frame and hopefully get this thing to roll.
    Thanx for the look

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good work.. Cool build...

25. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Real nice work............ Took 18 years off and on to build my coupe.

26. hasty

hasty

Looks good - looking forward to follow this one

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Wow cool stuff man!! Caddys RULE!

28. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

29. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Hard to believe it's been two years since the last post. Been very busy the last two with daughters softball, family and every day life. Been soaking up as much info as I can to help guide. Here's a pic with the caddy plant deciding on wheelbase etc.
    View attachment 2884252

Once I got all my measurements together, front of the frame figured out, second guessed myself repeatedly,I built a 10'x4' frame table.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429213394.237228.jpg