Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Super Duck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdpaxton, Jan 11, 2013.

1. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

A 1962 409 campaigned out of North Platte Nebraska in the early/mid 60`s. Driver/owner Latcher and named the ride SuperDuck. "Creams" got us the drivers name but does someone have some info and pictures of the car and driver?

2. Super Duck? HRP

[​IMG]

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Know who piloted it?

Are you from North Platte? I know a few guys who were rodding in NP about that timeframe, they'd be the best bets to contact.

4. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

Gearhead. The owner/driver was a fello named Latcher. He would be about 70 to 72 by now. No records seem to exist in the North Platte area. I know that the car was a national winner and raced at Julesburg Colo. as well as the Grand Island, Nebr. strip. I saw it run there. Red car, the Duck cartoon on the hood, and either A/s or B/s. This was a bubble top car. Were talking memories of 50 years ago. He would have to run eliminations against charactors like McFadden Ford 63 427 fast back, Godfredson 413 Plymouth and other worthy super stocks. Great racing.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Where in Nebraska are you from? I grew up in NP (not terribly long ago) could possibly put you in contact with some guys but dont want to put their names and info out in public

6. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

The ol Mayor of NP moved to Az and I sent him an email but have not heard back. He was a hot rodder if you you recall and had been the mayor for YEARS. You would remember him. He would have known Latcher. I am 150 east of NP.
    If you want to get ahold of the folks in NP go ahead and please report back. I am trying to get a picture or two of the car to go along with several I have collected regarding the GI strip.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, the ole mayor is one of the ones I'd expect to know. I hear he's busy shoveling sunshine out of the driveway and driving the wheels off his Vicky this time of year.

150 miles east. York area?

Is Latcher a first or last name?

Might also try contacting Carrols Towing in NP, Senior would be a good one to talk to.

8. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I would like to see some pics of racing at the Grand Island strip. I have talked to people that raced there but no one seems to have any pics. A friend from Gothenburg has pics from Kearney, Omaha and a few from Scottsbluff. Never have heard of the bubble top you mentioned. Does it still exist?

9. Deuces

Deuces

That's who I thought of when I first read the title....:D:D:D
    My pal Daffy...:rolleyes:

10. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

Chevy55. Do a search here of creams. This guy took a bunch of great pics at the time and also picked up a few from the track manager. He put them all on here about a year ago. I am also collecting info about the properly named, Grand Island JCees drag strip. Circa about 1956 to 1965. I say about because there seem to be a little problem with the actual startup date. I recall the 1964 Ford Thunderbolt Team racing here and of course this being a NHRA approved/santioned strip. Around 65 or 66 the strip was closed and moved to Kearney Nebraska and renamed.
    One guy everyone should know frequented the strip, was Omaha racer and speed record holder(mile high Denver) Gene Kidder. Went on to start Omaha drag strip as well. I am trying to interview as many of the old racers as possible, but most are into their 70`s and a few not with us anymore.

11. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually , he was "Stupor Duck"

Deuces likes this.
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

nice one!:d

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

BSL409 on here seems to know alot about 409 stuff. Check with him.

15. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

I know the car had won the nationals and pretty sure this was at Julesburg, Colorado. It seems like the time/speed was painted on the car. I recall it was A or B/stock and having to line up against the big 63 Ford 427 fastback of McFadden Ford. (S/S) The Ford was quite tired and lots of blue smoke coming out. Another eliminations run was against the Godfredson Chrysler/Plymouth cars, one call Tuff and the other Tuff Jr.
    Great early racing at the Grand Island strip.

16. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

17. rdpaxton, Do you know a guy from Grand Island named George Simon? We were just talking yesterday and he has some photos taken at the old GI drag strip a guy gave him just lately.

18. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

19. rdpaxton

rdpaxton
    from nebraska

Well a little more has surfaced about Super Duck. Calling any Hamber in California, with knowledge of Jerry Latcher, attorney. Would be at least 70 years old retired. He also attended Colorado School of Mines. Sure would be great to get some pictures of that old 62 409 from North Platte. A search thru 1961-62 year N.P. books still leaves no info. However a local verified he attended school with Latcher and supplied the above info. Get to work you California detectives.

20. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

We raced against Kidder at the Omaha strip in 62 63 do you have any pictures of his A/A roadster?

21. Deuces

Deuces

BugsBunny_Maroon.jpg
    Not you hrp....