Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

As Dog's posts this morning show, there was plenty of sexist advertising in the '50s and early '60s.
    But someone apparently thought that even THAT was too subtle and dreamed up the exaggerated
    composition below, obviously for laughs and, quite apparently, to stir resentment in a country that
    already seems to have plenty of that, legitimately. Snopes (and numerous others) have determined
    that the copy was dreamed up, and the photo was taken out of time and context, for the general
    purpose of disinformation. Read that farce, lie, baloney, etc.

I admit, I'm one of the many taken in when this first went around, years ago, during the FAX craze.
    But, AMAZINGLY, this thing grew legs and is now a major Urban Myth! ;) LOL. To see what I mean,
    just Google the publication title and date. The fact is that there was NO SUCH MAGAZINE in 1955;
    furthermore, the illustration is a bastardization of a cover illustration from a different magazine,
    from 1959, and the Advertising Archives mentioned were not founded until 1990.

Seems like harmless amusement, until you SEE:eek: on the 'net just how many people are still being
    taken in -- and getting damned angry over this exaggerated distortion. Funny thing IS, if this had
    been created honestly as satirical commentary about outmoded ideas, it would probably have
    been more valuable as an educational tool, rather than an instrument for discord between the two
    sexes. What a world! (Or at least, what a country!):rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Wikipedia, the original cover art
    from John Bull magazine, January 1959,
    nearly four years later than the mythical
    1955 issue of Housekeeping Monthly.

2. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

" It was more like "The Life of Riley" than
    "Father Knows Best"!"

I think that is a great observation. Riley and Gillis were symbolic of the employed blue collar middle class that was really the backbone of the economy. They were able to raise a family, own a house, have a decent car or two and do it all on the father's paycheck.

I was super fortunate to have a fantastic family that was very well situated in those days but my wife had relatives who lived a life similar to Riley's from an economic standpoint. By contrast, we have had to work multiple jobs with day care for the children just to keep out heads above water in the '70's and 80's.

3. scrubba

scrubba

Jemi, gotta hand it to ya . Ya really called it out in what I see as "DA TRUFF" !!!!!!

VERY WELL STATED YOUNG MAN ...................

scrubba

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Thanks a lot Jimi. I like it here on the HAMB, and I do appreciate the camaraderie shown by people from all over the world, from all walks of life and all persuasions (GM, FoMoCo, Mopar, and even those not from The Big Three). I am amazed at how well we all get on (mostly).

This thread is just so awesome. It seems like it has been accelerating of late, with half a dozen pages a day now not that uncommon, I find I am devoting more and more time to it, but it's totally worth it.

Oh, BTW, I am really sorry to hear about your daughter and son-in-law's house fire. It is obviously a bad time for your family, but so long as everyone is safe, that really is the most important thing.

Cheers.

5. Scumdog

Scumdog

A 'Morry thou'! (Morris Thousand), rag-top too by the look of it.
    It never fails to amaze me how many British (& other European) cars have always been around the streets in the USA.

6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Carmel, Ca.

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

8. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, guys, though I only could WISH that the "young" part were still true! :D LOL. I don't want any extra years on my life, but I get tired of my body hurting, and of not being able to hold up my end of a load, ya know?:rolleyes:

FBI, I totally agree with your comments about what it takes for a TWO-parent household to get by now VS how it was in those golden 20 years after WWII. Hell, even if people couldn't get rich, they could make ends meet, afford a home of their own and STILL come out far enough ahead to, maybe, send a kid or two to college.

Now, I don't know how people do it at all. And when I see the percentage of new college grads who can't find jobs, I feel something went wrong. BUT, I don't want to even SEEM political by comparing anything. I just meant to comment on the OLD DAYS when the formula worked moneywise, and parents were able to spend enough time with their children so that they stayed off drugs and out of and maternity wards, 'til they were mature enough to handle parenthood themselves.

Honestly, society is a different ballgame now. If Ryan or Metalshapes feel that's going over the line (speaking of pol stuff), I'll be respectfully more than happy to withdraw such commentary.

10. dad-bud

dad-bud

This young fella really understands the concept of pedal to the metal - he's hard into the corner, he's hanging onto the steering wheel and using it to pull himself forwards so he can keep that accelerator pedal mashed all the way.
    Yeee-fucking-haaaaaa!!!!!!!
    (Well done litle guy)

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Dad-Bud, KNOW whatcha mean about this thread! I hate to go away to take care of my little land plot [Don't ask, as I won't reveal where my stash is! LOL:D], 'cause when I come back after 4-5 days, there are 20-30 pages or more to catch up on! :eek:

Thread picking up? I do know that, in the 16 days from Christmas Eve onward, there were over a half-million:) views, hits, whatever. That's 30,000+ people checking in to see the VARIETY (Big John's word;)) of hotrod, racing, custom, military, road/bridge/highway-building, pix, gab and personal stories and insights going on any given day. Me, I think the variety, from people of all different backgrounds, experience and interests makes for a SUPER formula. I'll bet even Dog couldn't imagine how the thread would grow in participation.:D

One other thing: It's all-inclusive. People contribute what they can, or just watch while at work, etc. People speak their minds without tearing eachother's throats out (reference anywhere else on the net!:eek:). Oh, and it's always been,and still is, essentially a vintage hotrod/custom thread -- we just show and tell about other aspects of society (by that, I mean the Free World:cool:, not just the U.S.).

As for the newlyweds' house loss, yes, it's tough -- more confusing than anything, especially being winter up here in the Northen Hemi.:rolleyes: As traumatizing as it is, though, they, and we, have the same attitutde: Can't look BACK:(, that's done with.:mad: Step by step, there's a bright future ahead of those two young, hard-working folks (and their horde of dogs, horses, etc.)! Thanks, mate!:D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  12. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

and not even on the brake.......WFO!!!

13. greenfieldkid

greenfieldkid

I wonder what the story is on the four 57 Ford Customs . . . all painted the same color. Any theories ?

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

[​IMG]
    Corner of Ocean Ave and San Carlos St to be exact. The Sprouse Reitz 5 - 10 -15 cent store can be seen on the left. The Chevron Station building is on the right.

15. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

16. after WWII the whole world was hungry for manufactured goods. Europe was bombed out. The USA had the factories & workforce. So if someone needed something manufactured they came here to get it. That created a one time anomoly where a person could work with his hands & make good wages & retirement from the same employer their entire working life. That ended with the fake gas shortage in the 70,s. I afraid its over never to rebound. OldWolf

17. J. Yates

J. Yates
    from Bowie, MD

18. noboD

noboD

Yup, the yellow cab sign.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Is that town large enough to have that many cabs.

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Fortunately/unfortunately, Old Wolf, I agree. I'm gonna sign off and go put on the appropriate Merle Haggard song. You know the one.

21. oddcraig

oddcraig

22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Flyboys get all the girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. http://[​IMG]

Parade in Alaska, possibly Fairbanks 1956

24. http://[​IMG]

This shot if from the mid 50's at a dog sled event in Alaska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.