Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Creative Heavyweights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Oct 2, 2010.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Perfect, anymore pic's?
    [​IMG]

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Gonz
    Natas
    Hawk
    Hensley
    Mullen

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I don't know any of these names, unless you mean Tony Hawk and Peter Mullin. Who are they?

Today I would add Steve Jobs and Frank Sinatra.

5. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

ok...my two cents.......Craig Breedlove, The Summers Brothers, The Vesco family Dean Moon.....Nokie Edwards (the Ventures)......the beach Boys.....M C Escher....frank Lloyd Wright....Les Paul, Vic Edelbrock, Wally Parks.....just off the top of my head (what's left after that purple stuff)...

6. renrob5000

renrob5000

Mickey Thompson...

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sure -- Mickey was in my very first post.

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

Skateboarders...
    Mark Gonzales, Natas Kaupus, Tony Hawk, Matt Hensley, Rodney Mullen
    ...creative and inspiring.

9. crushers, all.

Jack Northrop, Howard Hughes
    Lujie Lesovsky, Pat Foster, Tom Hanna, Jocko Johnson
    Anderson Brothers
    Cole Foster, Troy Ladd, Jimmy White
    Joe Andersen, Art Himsl, Tom Kelly, Bill Carter

DON GARLITS!!!!!

and on the up-and comers list...

Ian Berky, Skoty Chops

on the 'love everything he touches' list
    Mark Skipper

10. 53mercury

53mercury

and Bogart. Mike

11. Skateboarders are creative heavyweights? That alters the trajectory of this thread.

12. You've obviously never watched rodney mullen in action. Pure poetry.

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I don't want to derail this thread but when the big vert stuff of the 80's died down and street skating took over everything changed. Hensley , Gonz .. Those guys changed the direction of the whole "sport" .. That's creativity. It was still skating but totally different.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm not at all athletic, and don't follow any sports that aren't motorized, so I can't judge the creativity required in sports very knowledgeably.

That said, I'm with Phil -- it doesn't seem much like music, art, or engineering.

15. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

funny to came across this thread, because just today I was marvelling at the creative prowess it must take to come up with a song like "A Day in the Life." Some of my favorite right-brainers:

The Beatles. The Zombies: as good as the Beatles... Odessey and Oracle is a masterpiece album. Sean Bonniwell and the Music Machine: invented punk a full 10 years before punk was invented. Youtube their song "Talk Talk." David Bowie is freaky but has undeniable creative ability. Both Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix changed the way guitar was played and thus changed rock music. Countless jazz guys and old blues guys were creative heavyweights too... way too many to mention here.

in areas of art other than music:

I have to say Virgil Exner and Giotto Bizzarrini are my favorite car designers. Way different from each other but I still get chills when I look at a '60 300 or a Strada. Also, whoever designed the '38 Talbot.

He's been mentioned already but Leonardo Da Vinci was inarguably the worlds' greatest creative genius. Bucky Fuller's great. ee cummings. My favorite artist is an odd choice, but... Louis Wain's post schizophrenia art really shows what an untethered creative mind is capable of. Edgar Allen Poe stuff is invariably genius; always blows my mind.

I could go on, but i won't

16. and who could forget Alfred Hitchcock?

MEL BROOKS!!!

17. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

wtf...you guys must be really bored.

18. Blown away by this thread,lots of modern builders on here and yes they do have their place but not one mention of a little shop that was started in the late 40's that turned out just a few "HEAVYWEIGHT" customs....... Ayala brothers.

19. Jeff has that right. Ayala Brothers belong here, for sure.

20. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

Raymond Loewy.
    I know he's been mentioned, but here's some more anyway. Very creative, influential, and diverse. Most people here have probably heard of him and know his automotive design, but he really really had much more going on. You probably see his work everyday, and didn't even know it.

http://www.raymondloewy.com/about/design.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. beauishere

beauishere

Gotta second Walt Disney. Add Brian Wilson and Hank Williams. Frank Baum. Henry Ford, Thomas Edison. Norman Rockwell. Del Webb. Hugh Hefner.

Aloha

22. Today is a good day to mention Joe Mondello again. Joe was a Creative Heavyweight is there ever was one. RIP Joe. See you at the Top End someday.

23. Burt Munro.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  24. Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just love this thread Tony! One of the more cerebral and sophisticated :).

A lot of outstanding creative people that I'd never heard of. Let Google be your friend as you peruse this great thread, folks.

Danny Gatton
    Larry Coryell
    Edwin Hubble
    Woody Guthrie
    James Brown
    Charles Darwin
    Charlie Parker

26. NV rodr

NV rodr
    from Reno, NV

Garfield Wood

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was glad to see that someone had added a bit to this thread last month. One more guy occurred to me after reading his biography: Steve Jobs.

The number of products, industries, and systems that Jobs revolutionized is exceptional. I enthusiastically recommend reading his biography if you have the slightest interest in him.

28. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Kind of hard to quit this list. In cars, Mickey Thompson, Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, E.L. Cord, Preston Tucker,. In literature, Tom Wolfe, John Lennon, Steinback, Hemingway, even Theodore Geisel aka Dr. Seuss!! In music, Johnny Cash, Gram Parsons, Velvet Underground, Brian Wilson, Dylan, Little Feat, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, John Hiatt. In movies, Preston Sturges, Buster Keaton, Chaplin, Orson Wells, Tarantino, Scorsese, Coppola, Wes Anderson and Tim Burton. At least people close to my heart.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great read. Exceptionally outstanding creative genius . . . asshole of a human being. Of course, in the final analysis, who really cares about the latter? Big long list of exceptional talents who were/are not good/kind/humble/compassionate/gracious humans.

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I see considerable similarity between Jobs and Henry Ford. Both guys with extraordinary vision and the ability to realize it, both jerks to many of the people in their lives. They both went through periods when they were relatively generous, and then reverted to being tight-fisted and controlling.