Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Ford rearend 11" drum brakes help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I've researched a bunch on here & found so much info I need clarification...

I've got a 1957 9" Ford rear w/ 11" x 2" or maybe even 1.75" wide shoes etc. I've got all the parts, backing plates, & guts inside but it all needs to be replaced with new stuff to make it all work (bascially a rebuild kit) Only problem is I'm not sure what the most cost effective/smart thing to do is at this point.

Do I try to hunt down all the parts and piece it all back together or just convert this over to the 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" drums/shoes kit that Currie or Speedway has available?

If the conversion is the answer, are the new backing plates offset to account for the wider drums? I'm assuming they are otherwise the rearend width would change right?

Thanks!

EDIT: I also found "Quick Performance" makes a cheap kit to convert it over to disk brakes thats way cheaper than going the drums route. Its only $239, comes w/ 11" discs, GM loaded calipers, and the brackets that needs to be welded on. Good/Bad???

Here's the link to what i'm talking about
    http://www.quickperformance.com/Technical Info/sc-brakes.htm

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. chubbie

chubbie

your edit says way cheaper, so if you are looking for the low buck find the station wagon shoes and spring kit.( mabe listed as heavy duty in the parts book) do you need drums to? drums will run $90. the real quesion is how much stop do you need?? how fast you going to go, and how much driving in traffic? xtra $200 sounds cheap for safety. i went with the new shoes and spring kit. stops great

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This depends. If you have the drums and theyre good then just get yourself new wheel cylinders and shoes, surface the drums and put it all back together. It'll work great.

I have this rear in my hotrod. The 1.75 inch drums are a bitch to find. Unless someone else here knows of a source?

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

hey chubbie & dreddybear, I have no problems using what I've got since that was my original plan.
    My drums have been resurfaced and ready to rock & backing plates are good but I definently need wheel cylinders, shoes, spring kit etc.

Where are you guys getting these parts that I need & what vehicle are you using as a search cuz any NAPA or parts store around here only go back to 66 I believe.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Auto zone has em. Springs are usually able to cross reference as well. But if you have the old springs run em!

wheel cylinders part #33627

shoes part # 55

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...qZ8knp8?itemIdentifier=189530_29809_2362_2243

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...2kfqZ8ko2c?itemIdentifier=352633_180169_19205_

6. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

awesome! Thanks guys!!

7. Unless you are running LARGE front brakes, you can't just increase the rear brake effectiveness without upsetting the brake balance. Running a variable proportioning valve is one solution, but that is another cost to incure. The rear needs very little braking compared to the front.

Steve

8. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

rockauto has an interchange for parts also parts are easy to matche as they are the same for many makes and models

9. Fenders

Fenders

Guess you are all set, I was gonna say if you put discs on the rear you must also have them on the front. That whole thing can get more expensive than fixing your rear drums.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

When I built my coupe one of the only things I could just walk in and buy from the parts store was my rear brake stuff. I was surprised they had it.

11. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I'm running 10.5" disks on the front, non-booster 74 Maverick disc/drum master cyl, w/ adj prop valve, & obviously now 11x2" drums on the back.

TBD if it'll stop ;)

Thanks again!

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

***Edit nevermind***. Good luck!

13. NAPA, Autozone, O'Rielly's. Aside from the drums themselves the parts are pretty common parts.

14. chubbie

chubbie

NAPA is where i got my parts, they have them. most likley your problem is the counter guy, doesn't want to look for them.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Before the SVO 11 inch brakes were available I did a lot of of 57/59 rears with 60/64 passenger car brakes both small and big bearing. They were 11X2.25 for passenger cars and 11X2.50 for wagons. I don't know how available they would be today.

16. 343w

343w

Thanks for your thread, I plan to use the same rearend for my tudor project.

17. ^^^^^^ Same issues...... Dig in the books yourself and cross reference.
    It's the "new" breed of counter people now a days.......You just might be surprised. Found everything I needed through NAPA. Just gotta dig a lil,and you'll end up knowing yourself what is cross referenced. Make some notes if you go this route,and while your at it,ask for last years catolouge. They throw them out,but the info in it will last for years.

18. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

I verified my shoes last night, they are 11x1.75" & I brought my complete backing plate up to the parts store last night and like you guys said, the books has all the parts even though the counter guy said they didn't lol - Mine uses the 7/8" wheel cylinders 17507 & 17508

I ordered all the parts and will be there today

Only issue now is finding the right axle bearings and seals

19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

The drums are hard to find and so are the nails. I had to scrounge through a couple buckets of crap to find mine, all of the kits are for 2 inch.

20. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Axle bearings and seals shouldnt be that hard to find. Worst case try Randys ring and pinion.

21. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

If you have small bearings, only the wagons and Rancheros used big bearings, 8" rears used the same bearing and seal up to 1980. I get them from Moser

22. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

True. I am still trying to get the part number for the drumss themselves. All other parts are sourced.

23. I think the difference in nails is one is an 8 and the other is a 2 (stamped on the head of the nail). Some kits come with up to 3 lengths of nails in them.

I used to save up all the old ones that didn't get used and they came in handy now and then. You can always sharpen one up to dig out a metal sliver in your nand.

Bob

24. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Running 59 galaxy wagon 9" in my A coupe , got every brake part bearings , gaskets , seals , shoes etc. From NAPA had the orig. drums turned. This is a local small Napa franchise , the only person you deal with owns and runs the store , For as long as I can remember . Knows his parts. A definite plus when working on our old stuff.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Go with Maverick backing plates, drums and hardware.

26. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ford was real good at using the same shoes for years,the 50's Fords and early 60's did not have self adjusting brakes.We have an upgrade posted in the 52-59 Ford Group how to fix that by using Mustang hardware kits,basically you just find a later Ford and use the hardware from a later Ford with the same brake shoes as the early Ford.You can check a local clutch and brake rebuilder and have your old shoes redone with ceramic or Kevlar linings for less fade and better braking,these materials also will save your drums from the accelerated wear of the semi-metallic linings.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

just what I was gonna say. use the 8" stuff.

28. Buckster

Buckster

Ford used the same passenger wheel bearing up thru 1964.
    Inside Dia.-1.380 Outside Dia.-2.834 Part no. (Federal) FS88128R
    NAPA Part no. RW207HHR
    Axel Seal (Victor) 46121

29. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I have a '57 9" but the drums are missing. The shoes are 1.75, can I use new drums that are 2" ?

30. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Btt