Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door chop question/ thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by US_Marshall, Jan 9, 2013.

1. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

One of the projects I have been working on is my uncles 1937 ford truck. He will not let me chop the top at all. Sitting staring at it one day and a thought popped into my mind. What if I cut the bottom of the door window and raise it to match the windshield hight? The top of the windshield and the door glass are about at the same level but the door glass goes down about another 2 inches. If the door was cut and just the bottom of the window opening was raised it would give a similar feel to a chop top without lowering the roof.

Thoughts? comments?

[​IMG]

2. Please get back on your meds..and leave the weed alone

3. Mock it up with some tape and cardboard and have a look.
    That's the only way to tell if your uncle of you will like it.

It will be different than lowering the lid on it.

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

This will come as a shock to alot of HAMBers . . . BUT . . . not everything is improved, by chopping the top !!!
    Your uncle is to be commened for not letting his truck be f*%#ed up by a miss guided chop.
    That is a great truck leave it alone !

5. Just put a visor on it.

6. Who does the truck belong to ??? :confused:

Pay the Piper, call the tune.

7. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

Damn, its hard trying to be innovative in a culture that has been around for 100 years and just about every thing been done.

Card board moch-up is a good idea.

Not to sure on a visor, i think they look good on the early car or the 50's cars.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

an altitude adjustment on stance makes a big difference when looking at a car also. these trucks look very good sitting low with the wheels tucked nice and tight under those bitchen fenders..

9. John Denich

John Denich

See...not everything needs to be chopped.....

Attached Files:

10. No.....don't do it.....listen to your Uncle!

11. Well there ya go. Maybe whack and hack your own car? it seems like your uncle thinks that it looks fine the way that it is.

12. Just go ahead and RESTORE it....that is the general opinion here these days....
    I thought we were a HOT ROD site but I guess not.
    why dont the purists who dont want to change anything but brakes and steering boxes-on an early car, just get back over to Ford Barn and rest up a bit.

13. Kenny,
    the deal is that it isn't his truck and the fella does not want the top chopped so now the OP wants to fill the door to make the windshield line up with the door glass. I am going to fathom a guess here that uncle doesn't want that done either.

But I did do a quick photo chop so the OP can show his uncle what it may look like if he can pull it off.

The original on the left and the customized on the right.

I think it makes it look a little thick above the belt line but someone else may like it real well.

Attached Files:

14. Now it looks like a Jeep.....leave it alone.....

15. Stretching the cab through the doors will make it look chopped too.
    Uncle might go for more leg room, but not less head room.
    37 grill isn't my favorite while your photochopping
    Yep, too thick in the belt and jeepish

16. Hey I like my jeep, uh Willys. :D

Maybe the uncle would go for a serious decrowning. Let me see if I can pull that off.

Never mind they don't have a lot of crown to start with.

17. carkiller

carkiller

Am I the only one that thinks cuizin means your arm has to hang out the door? I chop at least 2 of these cabs a yearm Love them chopped. But can understand ower wants what he wants. Im chopping a 37 Ford cab currently, 5 inch chop.

18. MOJODADDY

MOJODADDY

Pulling the window opening up as in the photo shopped post makes the door skin look way too long to me without really making the top look lower. Props on the brain storming to solve the intent of having it looked chopped though. As in every thing, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

19. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

I think it's a great idea. The bottom of the window, will be closer to the bottom of the back window also. Maybe somebody on here can ''photoshop'' it, and see how it looks.

20. See post #14.

One could put one of those bug catcher deallys on top of the cowl like the late model guys do, it gives them the appearance of being chopped. :rolleyes:

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

Some things are best left alone. Even though I have chopped everything I own and most likely will continue to do so. This truck with the full fenders and running boards is cool enough with the tall roof line. Leave it be and find your own project.

22. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

The look of a chop is the good part. The feel of a chop is the bad part. The window glass is lower so you can see out, which most people regard as a plus. The windshield can't get any lower because of the hood.

If you want to test out if a higher beltline improves the experience of driving the truck, just tape some cardboard over the bottom part of the window for a week. See if anyone likes it better that way.

23. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

My original though was "hmm that could work and could look good but I would mock it up first and would be totally doable with semi mild cutting, narrow the bottom of the door window opening and slide everything up. Then chop the garnish molding the same to fit"

Then I saw the photoshop.....it looks like ass, the proportions are all wrong and that's the most important part. If you ain't gonna go the full meal deal in this instance than leave it the heck alone.....

Personally, if it were mine I would do a mild chop just to bring the proportions in.

24. deto

deto

personally, I like the seats...

25. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

I didn't catch that photoshop. Your right, that doesn't work.

26. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

I don't, too high and pushes the seat forward.

The Photoshop job Porknbeaner did saves me some time of doing a cardboard moch-up, not sure if I like it or not.

27. rat nasty

rat nasty

you have a very good solid piece to start out with!I like it the way it is give it the right stance, color, and wheel tire combo. you'll forget all bout the door windows not lining up with the front glass! trust me nobody would ever walk up and say man that looks funny or odd unless its a smart azz buddy:D!!!!!!

28. Somebody did. Read post 14.

29. banginona40

banginona40

No chop needed. There are plenty of other things to do on that project.