Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

???????????????????????????????????????????????

[​IMG]

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

As Johnie Gee said Today is the last cruise before Christmas, come on down, the weather is great and we're having our white elephant Christmas gift exchange.
    Hence,J.G's wrapping of a elephant.

Come on down!!!!!!

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

From Christmas past. Gone are the times that reminded us of the Holiday's like this. Firestone Blvd in the 50's just east of the Broiler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh, and store front's like this

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Good Ol Dad, he don't look so happy. This may be the reason we don't have our Red Car's any more. Oh, this explains why there's no parking spaces at the Mall's today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Look at our self's then. Happy and Joyfull with amazement

[​IMG]

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's it!!!, time to pull my copy of this

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas to everyone at the Broiler

8. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Merry Christmas Broiler friends.

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Merry Christmas all of our Broiler/HAMB family. Hope that it was a good one for you . Well it's Weds again and time to cruise in over to the Broiler for our weekly cruise nite. If you have some time, come hang out and make new friends.We'll be there!! J. Gee, Great shots of Downtown, Most of those buildings are still there!!!!!! ;).

10. Very cool old pictures Johnny G.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was talking to my cousin recently about those times and how the cities/towns would decorate "Main St" for Christmas and the stores would have Christmas themes painted on their windows. Crappy times today, just ain't the same.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

JeffSled, Thanks. Only the top pic is that of Downey it's self. The rest just represent how times use to be.

Yes, that's the heart of it.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yep, Thank god that the Broiler made it's home where it is. Farther east would would have been Bob's home.

I'll see everyone shortly.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Since I Thank him earlier, I Thank him again for another Wednesday night at the Broiler

[​IMG]

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

Heard myself a song this morning. Made me think of the man we all know. Everyone know's him as "Dutch". His Caddy may not be gold, but he has a heart of it. If you ever have a chance to meet him here at the BROILER, this here clip is what you'll see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyullr7-Q2M

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

And to you as well Mr. Gee!!!! Happy 2013 Enjoyed our Colorad Bl Cruise and Cindy's You're good company ;).

18. Muttley

Muttley

I really, really need to make it out to the Broiler soon.

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Come on out to our 1st cruise nite of 2013! It's been 6 yrs since we on the HAMB, Adriene & I and most of all Jim who bit the bullet to bring this great place back.

Lets have a great time in 2013 and let's see more HAMB Hot Rods & Kustoms in the lot. PM me now if you have a special show that you want to put on, because we are doing the calendar dates now. We're open to suggestions.

What do want to see this year happen at the Broiler?????????????

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Happy New year to all at the Broiler........hope its a great year for you.....

[​IMG]

K + D

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Kruise nite c'mon out. Bring a Rod or Kustom

22. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Let's see if I can even set this evening into words.

I pull up as I usually do on Wednesday night and get settled in, say some hellos, rattle a bit of car bs, you know cruz night going on's. Next thing I know I'm met by Armando the manager and he introduces me to John Zander from DowneyBeat.com all things Downey. John made his hello and said he was there to do a piece on the Broiler and if I would be ok being interviewed. Sure I replied, but all the while while I was saying yes I had no idea what I would talk about.

Moment of truth know arrives, Kevin and Adriene did there interview and I'm now up on the hot seat, then Brad Masterson. Damn, what to say?. Well, I just fallowed John's questioning about thing's like, when did I get started with cars?, what car's have I had?, along with other car related topics. I just spoke the best I could considering. Till he asked me about how important places like the Broiler (and any other land marks) are to everyone and myself.

Well Huell Howser came to mind as being a part of that answer. I had said something to the affect. With the passing of Huell Howser just this past Sunday, it's important that places like this place be saved and that interviews like yours, just as Huell did, helps to keep the public aware of this place and others historical places so people can see and enjoy them. That's all of what I remember saying on camera. What more could I have said or thought I tried to say. This, get out and see what's out there. There stories will amaze you. The past got you here, learn how they got you here, there up's and down's. It's to bad Huell never got the time to be here in person, but his support was always there for the Broiler I'm told. All you had to do was pick up the phone and say the word Broiler and only positive inspiration came from him.

I'm really gonna miss not seeing what he had still left on his check off list of taping across California. He was, "truly a fine example of California's Gold"

Johnny

Huell's passing http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Howser-Didnt-Want-Memorial-Died-of-Cancer-186069421.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's a great take on all of this Juicy, And a great segway into the Huell Howser passing. Yes, Our own Adriene knew Ol Huell on a historic level, both being on the L.A. Conservancy's Modern Commitee and both having saves and some losses.

Huell atempted to save some buildings that were part of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard designed by architect Paul R. Williams. Because alot of power was against this save which was a helluva loss, many people willl never see this architecture in person as the whole yard no longer exists, segway into Adriene. Also in Long Beach there was a very kool bowling alley called Java Lanes.

I attened one of the best ever car shows thrown by the Shifters and never even knew this place was threatened, Heck even Pat and Bill Ganahl were there scoping out the cars and I had driven my banger powered 27 T-ster.

Adriene was trying to save this great landmark at the same time, this is where we as Hot Rod and Kustom preservationists and the Building preservationists need to come together. This is how Adriene and I began to work together to save The Broiler.

Huell knew that Adriene was working on both projects now at different times as Java Lanes was facing demolition in 2000. Well in that case a landmark status could not be granted and Java Lanes along with its sister Kona Lanes in Costa Mesa became memories. As a way to give a little The former Grisinger's Drive-In, now Georges 50's Diner was granted landmark status in Bixby Knolls.

Huell visted great places California and knew about pretty much all of what we love as Americana. With his passing comes a great loss. I even thought that California's Gold
    shouldn't become a memory. I thought that Adriene would make a great hostess and places like Rod & Kustom Shops Like the Chopits Customs, Masterson Kustom and even Cook's-Cyclone could be interviewed in additiion to many historic preservation issues.

Heck, I just found this piece of info ol Huell.

Visiting...With Huell Howser #318 - BROTHERHOOD RACEWAY
    Huell visits Brotherhood Raceway on Terminal Island. Big Willie Robinson takes Huell on a tour of this legal drag-strip, where everybody from off duty cops to gang members come to race their cars, motorcycles or anything with wheels.

And this as well:
    Visiting...With Huell Howser #1206 - WALLY PARKS
    Huell heads out to the Motorsports Musuem in Pomona to learn about the history of the National Hot Rod Association and its founder, Wally Parks.

Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum
    909-622-2133

As Juicy stated above The Downey Beat's John Zander was on hand at the Broiler giving us interviews re: The Cruise Nite on Weds, What our interests were, what drove and what we think our Broiler has in store for the future. Guys that up to you. It's your Broiler to cruise and make sure that it see's the next decade.

25. Thanks guys for all of your dedication to the Broiler.I was very bummed out about Huell's passing.I am a huge fan and im pretty crazy about old historic things staying alive.I wish I would of went last night.Huell was such a positive force on historical places and he will be missed more then I could put into typing.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks for the Huell comments. But I'm afraid it stray's far from what this thread and what the HAMB is about. My sharing of Huell was only maybe 1% of the interview, but I just felt compelled to talk about him. It did bring a smile to John Zanders face as if to say I did well by Huell. The real purpose of the interview is to bring awareness of the Broiler to the masses. Sorry for the confusion.

27. Not confused at all,I understood what the interview was about and I think that its great.Sorry to comment on Huell on a inappropriate thread or place.I just think that someone like him helps to get the "masses" into places like the Broiler.Enough of that though.......well hopefully all of the interviews went great.I miss the Broiler,its been a while. :(

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No worry's JeffSled, just keeping things under controle. I would hate to see this thread go down because I lit a fire. It's a good fire though, just the type to warm the spirits :)

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Jeff,
    We're working on a Rod & Kustom Kruise Nite for fridays - perhaps as early as Late Feb-Early March, We love for you to come out in the Merc and be a part of it. Put the word out "Kalling All Kustoms" with of course Rods in the mix as well,but emphasize Kustoms. Anything that you do driving your car is good for exposure so come on over, We miss ya!

30. That sounds like a good excuse as any, to get down to the Broiler!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.