Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Nice job on the plug man! The truck looks killer.

2. Thanks guys, and thanks for the tip on the wall protecting. I may just hang some plastic.

3. Ricoch3T

Ricoch3T
    from VA

Nice truck... Would like to find one myself one day

4. Here we are putting the truck to work, My dad and son helped push along a a few other friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Here is a pic my wife took of me pulling Falfasnightmare's Shiftmaster 55 down the return road at the 2012 Meltdown Drags. Proof that it is a work truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's a great little work truck you have there. Sure would match my A a lot better than my C10. :)

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I just now found your build thread Paul. I think the truck turned out perfect.

8. lorodz

lorodz

awsome job man keep it up ...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me time last night and again this morning to read through the whole thread. Great job you did on that truck with a lot of info I'll be referring back to in the next few months when I attack my own Model A project.

10. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Great build thread,alot of pics that will help me out with my 29 RPU.

11. draider

draider
    from Texas

What a great build. Enjoyed the story.

12. It has been a while since I did much on the truck other than drive it but I am in the process of adding carbs and rebuilding the steering box. I also bought an interior kit. I will post pics soon. I managed to drive it about 1500 miles this year.

13. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Thanks for sharing, GREAT build. Did you ever sell the Tudor? (page 11 or so)

14. Thanks! and Yes, I traded it away.

15. X

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Man I would love to have a little work truck like that!

17. So I drove my truck until they salted the roads in November and on one of the last days the needle stuck open on the Holley 94. I was planning on upgrading the looks of the engine and I found a Fenton 3x2 here on the hamb. I tore apart enough Stromberg 97's to make a nice set and put them on the intake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next project was to make a fan hub that had bearings on both ends because the short shaft eats up bushings so I made another out of a early v8 3 brush generator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used two nose pieces so I had bearing on both sides and just double stacked roller bearing in the housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I took the heads off because I had leaky head gaskets. I noticed that the number 4 exhaust valve was not down all the way and found a gummed up valve guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am using a stock intake to locate the plug wire looms so I can relocate the tabs since the Fenton uses less intake bolts

[​IMG]

19. draider

draider
    from Texas

Neat idea cutting the generator down. Can't wait to see it buttoned back up.

20. I had trouble with the truck "floating" when I was driving at speed and I narrowing the trouble down to the f1 box. The adjusting screw would not go in any farther to take up the slack for one thing. I took it out and reassembled it with used but better parts. I rebushed the shaft housing and bored it to the exact size. It seemed to be better. I could adust all the play out of it. But when I drove it the box was to tight. I put it on the hoist and was loosening it up and noticed the when my dad was wiggling the steering wheel the shaft to the steering arm was wiggling meaning the shaft was slightly worn?? SO here is my fix:

My buddy had this 1" aluminum plate laying around.

[​IMG]

I hacked off a chunk and squared it in the mill.

[​IMG]

I cut it to the correct length. I was even able to use the 2 existing hole that were in it.

[​IMG]

Then I bored a hole at 2 degrees angle to match the box and added a support bearing.

[​IMG]

Milled out the back for the body mount, you can see my center punch marks circled that were created in the next picture.

[​IMG]

I learned this trick from my buddies dad. I pointed two bolts in the lathe to center punch my aluminum plate

[​IMG]

And drilled the holes, I forgot to take a installed picture but I will soon.

[​IMG]

This eliminated all the slop and so far it seems cured. I will know more when the snow melts.

21. I have seen that done in pictures from the 50's. I made it better by adding sealed roller bearings. Here it is all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

Great work! Lots of inspiration here!

23. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Perfect build thread....subscribed...Great work!

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

25. was this the truck at the meltdown drags this year that had the meltdown drags logo on the doors? of so.. this thing is killer!!

26. Yes sir! It is a good little work truck.

Attached Files:

27. I have some winter plans for the truck. The flathead has a rattle so we are going to put in another engine prepped by Flathead Jack. I am also planning on switching to 40 ford cross steering and front brakes. I am not happy with the steering at 60 mph. Stay tuned.......

28. Nothing has happened yet but hare are a few pics from last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Searching for other flathead tricks on model a frame a ended up looking your build......man i have to said that's a awesome build...you do a great work and i like your modifies......!

30. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Any idea what your steering arm is out of? I need one just like it.[​IMG]