Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonding fibreglass to steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steve rogan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. steve rogan

steve rogan

Does anyone have any information on bonding fibreglass to steel.
    I have a fiberglass 1932 Ford Roadster body which came without a floor.
    I want to make a steel floor myself and glass it into the body.
    Any help or information on products would be much appreciated.

2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Simson 70-03 Urethane Adhesive [ not Urethane Sealer ]

I use this to bond fibreglass fenders onto trailers without brackets, the steel needs to be bare metal at contact .

Then she's on for life mate!

3. Best idea i can come up with in a flash is fiberglass a wood perimeter into the body and bolt the steel floor to the wood, Wood and fiberglass works but fiberglass and steel does not.

4. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Fiberglass and steel do not get along.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A wood lip is a good way,the wood moves about the same as glass does and has enough grain to grab by glass,Steel floors rust and will most likely need replacing at some point on down the years,so bolted or screwed in helps in the long run as well.

6. Maratrodz

Maratrodz
    from Wa

If you can get your hands on some itw plexus MA 830. This stuff is amazing. I am a certified composte technician. I used this stuff to bond steel, stainless steel, and aluminum on boats. I have done some extensive tests with it. I had one of he reps come and watch some of the testing and he was amazed. I glued a piece of stainless steel to a piece of fiberglass and lifted 2 Eco blocks with it. If you get your hands on some it's pretty nasty stuff so you might want to wear a respirator. If you have any questions I would be more than willing to help.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

We used to use what we called "bear shit" to bond structure into glass vehicles. A mix of resin, gel coat and kittyhair bondo.

8. Have you considered perforated steel? It would then be encapsulated inside the fiberglass. You could grind areas and still weld to it. Or maybe perf steel around the perimeter only to be able to tie the floor into the glass.

9. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

punch holes in the steel to give a bond for the glass resin.......

10. Beau

Beau

The real issue is that the two will corrode heavily next to each other.

11. collision industry has been using products such as panel bond for years. I have bonded many glass corvette parts to its steel frame without issues just as the factory does.

12. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I once had a fiberglass body Manx on a VW chassis. It had a metal floor that was part of the frame (like a VW does). The body was just sitting on the floor and bolted down.

13. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

ImageUploadedByTJJ1357705491.127073.jpg
    See the bolt holes around the edge?

14. supervert

supervert

U can use epoxy resin, it gets along with steel a lot better than poly resin

15. 3M 8115 Panel Bonding Adhesive. Bonds steel, aluminum, smc, fiberglass, in any order. www.3mcollision.com

16. cktasto

cktasto

ditto

17. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

some bolts along with 3M 5200 adhesive is bulletproof as well.
    Probably the same stuff as the 3M 8115 just in marine form.
    TP

18. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

Paccar (kenworth trucks) use sikaflex adhesive to glue their cabs together.

19. casophylip

casophylip
    from london

Wood and fiberglass works but fiberglass and steel does not.[​IMG]

20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

S**t I hope you're wrong.

I urethane bonded the fibreglass body to steel on my race car and drove it up to 176mph.
    I've also been urethane bonding fibreglass to steel on trailers that I've sold to customers
    The biggest complaint I get is when they damage a fender , it is difficult to cut off without destroying it.

Get with modern times. modern adhesives aint like they were years ago.

They even use adhesives in surgery and dentistry these days

21. little t

little t

two part panel bonder works great the applicator gun is not cheap or is the 2 part material talk to someone in the autobody profession for info on this stuff

22. To elaborate further......you can epoxy prime the sheet of perforated steel BEFORE you glass over it - corrosion won't be a problem. Still allowing area grinding and welding if needed later. I'm sure the adhesives are awesome these days- but how much do they cost? Where do you get them? My method is old school, but it works good and doesn't require any materials that you most likely don't have laying around. Not saying anybody is wrong, I'm just a cheap ass, bare bones mo-fo.

23. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

The tube of sikaflex to stick steel to fiberglass is around 60 bucks here, it provides a waterproof and damn near impossible join. I used less than a tube to glue the steel floor into my A roadster.

24. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

This works great. Wood or metal to fiberglass.

[​IMG]

25. 37cevy4dr

37cevy4dr
    from Louisiana

Do not know why all the guys are against glass and steel together. Owned a custom body shop for 20 years and bonded glass flares and accessories to steel all the time with no problems. Live in Louisiana, moisture is a major problem buy if prepared correctly will work for a very, very long time with no problems. Surface prep is 16 grit disc to bare metal then build up the glass SLOWLY using roving and cloth for the initial contact area. They you can use glass mat. The key is not mixing you resin with too much hardener. A good mixture will not change the color of the resin and it should set up clear with a slight green tint to it.(depends on the brand) If it sets up too fast the heat will cause the resin to pull away from the metal.
    I agree with one guy use epoxy and not poly resin. They came out with the panel adhesive after I change jobs. But I can tell you if you take every bolt out of the front end of a Mercedes I think you could lift the car off the ground and the fenders not come off. Really wicked stuff.
    After reading most of the comments I believe glassing in a wood bar to the body then using the panel adhesive along with screws thru steel into wood bar would be the easiest and least amount of hassle to get a good fit and one that is strong.
    Glass is tricky and if you are not familiar with using it I would advise going the aforementioned plan.
    Remember cleanliness is next to Godliness, sweat from you forehead and hands can effect the bonding using glass. Stay very clean.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  26. Evercoat makes two part adhesives that work in a standard caulking gun no need for the special guns that 3M, Fusor and everyone else uses. The products all meet up to the same specs as the others as well it is probably half the cost.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=270

27. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

the roofs on most modern cars are simply held on with adhesives,there not welded.

28. hemiboy

hemiboy

I use Fusor for all the bonding I do- great stuff, comes in many types of mixes.

29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I think fusor or a similar adhesive is probably your best option. I'd talk to the guys at your paint shot about it and look at the spec sheets to find the best option. I haven't done this enough to speak authoritatively (last time was probably 8 years ago for the body effect on an OT rice burner during the fast and furious craze--they're still there with no problems under the STUPID expensive paint the guy insisted on using)

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, with 3M 5200 sticking something together it isn't going to come apart without a big fight.