Register now to get rid of these ads!

Info on a Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by box50, Jan 8, 2013.

1. box50

box50

I was just wanting to know is there a thread that gives some information on what brakes,steering box, etc; that I will need to be looking for my Model-A. I hear that F-100 ford trucks but what models any info would be great Thank's

2. Search function is great for that

3. That my friend is a pretty wide open question.
    There are lots of steering boxes and brakes that will work fine on your A. I suppose if I wasnted to run F-100 brakes I would be looking at brakes from '53-'56. I like steering boxes from the same era but a lot of the guys like to use the F-1 steering box.

Now all that said what have you got to start with? Sometimes what you have on hand is perfect and you just are not aware of it.

4. box50

box50

Nothing yet just got the A last week,but would like to start looking around for what I need. My plans are to be able to put a lot of miles on it when I'm done,so just want to do all of the upgrades that I can. Really never thought I would have a Model-A so never did much research on what all you can do with them.

5. Vern Tardell has a couple of pretty good books out there. They would be a good starting place for someone trying to learn and they are not high dollar reading material. After reading through them you may discover that you like your model A box if you already have one.

There are lots of good brake options. If it were mine and I was leaning toward going real fast I may want to look into 12" Buick brakes. That is what I plan on my '38 and they won't even show, if you are going open wheel on your A 12" buick brakes are really appealing to the eye and they do stop well.

6. X2 on Beaner's suggestion- Tardel's books are extremely informative, thorough, and helpful!

7. box50

box50

What year Buick and I have been looking at the book you mentioned, $23 So do some people run the stock box.

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im using 1942 brakes on my "A" . my friend has 2 & is using the vega set-up

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Alot a guys just use a Vega box for cross steering and 39-48 Ford passenger car brakes.. Vega boxes are cheap and 39-48 brake parts are easier to find.. After market 4" drop axle and 39-48 spindles and you're ready to go...

10. yes some people do run the stock box.

The popular Buick brakes are from '59 to about '64 I believe thay are 45 fin brakes. Buick ran aluminum finned drums through '68 on the big cars, the later ones were 90 fin, that is what I normally use they are a little cheaper when you find them but they don't look as cool.

They usually get used in conjunction with 12" lincoln backing plates and brakes. The lincoln backing plates are being repopped now but you can still find originals if you look around a bit.

You may want to search the tech section for brakes and the like as well. There will be some of the better how to tech posts on what it is that you need to know.

Also in the tech section SamIam has a real good tech article that he wrote on building a traditional hot rod frame. Let me see if I can find a link for you. Lots of pictures and stuff to read that will help you out as you go along. lots of it may not make sense today but when you get started building you will go, "Oh hey that's what he was talking about."

Here ya go:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683868&highlight=frame

It will be a good reference for you and you can reference it when you have questions as well.

11. box50

box50

That's the way I plan on going,is 4 inch what most everyone uses, I have heard that a 40 model rear end fits perfect under a Model-A.

12. Beau

Beau