Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ....would it be the norm to build a chassis with box section tube and round tube ?...were these box tubes later ''add on's '' ?....sorry if this is a dull question,but I really am interested.

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It would have been built with round tubing originally. There's no telling how many hands that frame has been through over the years and from what I can see most weren't real skilled.

3. ...thanks Rootie.... :)

4. guffey

guffey

oswb0027.jpg

I am sure you are correct and I suspect this is where the supermodified history starts. #87 Bruce Kraft from Rochester, New York. Maybe someone has a picture of this car or knows of Bruce Craft. I wonder how it got to Unique classic cars in Mankato Mn. about 45 years later ??

It will be interesting to see what the HAMB knows.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The little cowl scoop/pittman arm/cockpit upolstery sure look close.

Attached Files:

6. guffey

guffey

The 4 bars mounted on the midupright were what I was first looking for. It is not real clear but it looks like that same mag foot box to me. I liked the pitman arm too. There is a hole behind and slightly below the air scoop on the cowl and it shows up in the photos of the Christianson (62Ruby) in the Greg Littleton roadster book. (I can't think of any reason for that hole being there?).

The piece of magnesium body work that came with the chassis still has some yellow on it mainly where the patch for the exhaust hanger is. It is lower and the DA didn't quite get it??

guffeystuff 005.jpg

7. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

And if you notice in the photo the other supermodified also has a footbox. I'll stick with my earlier comment that Christiansen would not have used a footbox on the original car. That was added after the car was lowered and turned into a super. I think you and Rootie are on to something here. :)

8. guffey

guffey

I can't figure out if it is really lower or not with the tire profile change and all.

But it looks like Bruce Kraft is way tall from his head and shoulder position compared to the other photo, and that ??? might be the answer. Maybe we will get to ask him.

But why is the foot box all cut up now for clearance if was put in when the V8 was put in, unless super's didn't run starters?? and someone down the trail added a starter later- It looks like that was cut to clear a starter!

How about the gas tank on the other car in the photo Wow!

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, it kinda looks like there might be a foot box lurking in there. Maybe someone with better photo software, than mine, could blow up the pic and clarify it better? Lots of pics on Retro Rockets showing them being push started so I suspect you're right that it went to a track that required self starting and then out came the sawsall!

Attached Files:

10. guffey

guffey

I think someone who owned this car wore out more than one sawzall or at least a case of blades!

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Came across a couple pics of Bruce Kraft on Jakessite. Don't know if they tell us much other than it looks like he ran a Ford motor. Might also explain some of the repair work. :eek:

Attached Files:

• osw1.jpg
      osw1.jpg
      File size:
      156.2 KB
      Views:
    • osw2.jpg
      osw2.jpg
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
  12. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Your photos reminded me of another ex-Oswego super that was found in the Midwest. It had a lot of Indy roadster looking pieces on it with the clincher that it had a nearly flat belly pan instead of the more conventional ones with the radius on the outside edges. That pointed to Wally Meskowski as the builder since his Indy roadsters had the same look. However, the owner did some checking with some Oswego oldtimers and got the actual story. It turned out that Meskowski also built at least one (and maybe another) supermodified roadster that went directly to Oswego. But it had most of the same dimensions and basic design as the two Indy roadsters that he built. :)

13. Crudbro

Crudbro

You guys are the experts but I thought this car looked a bit like the one being discussed here. Garry Call at New Bremen, Ohio in 1972. Rays Racing Photos.

Attached Files:

14. Buildy

Buildy

Looking at the before and after photos of the Ruby car to Super Mod,it strikes me as what a shame it was for so many of those cars. From beauty queen to crack whore in a few steps...

The miracle is that quite a few of them have now been brought back to their former glory.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Anybody know what happened to Josh Shaw? He was pretty adept at tracking down the old race cars and seemed to have a lot of resources at his disposal.

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

Mr Kraft is still listed in the Rochester ,Ney York directory...whay not call him???:D:p

17. baldtireman

baldtireman

What car would this one be,sir?

18. Buildy

Buildy

Josh is alive and well and Working at Zakira`s Garage restoring race cars. He is more active on the racing pages on facebook at the moment. I`ve been sending him photos of Miller racing cars and he tells me which ones they were originally.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well that ain't no good, he needs to get his butt back over here and help us noodle this deal out! :D;)

21. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I don't know who drove it originally but it was apparently built by Meskowski in the 1960s as a conventional Indy style roadster but set up for a V-8. By the early seventies it looked a lot like the car that Bruce Kraft had on the cover of the Oswego program with a kickup "downforce" tail. I believe that Chuck Ciprich drove the car somewhere during that time period.

22. racer5c

racer5c

he's a little busy this week, huge car show in Cincy that he is very involved in, but IndyRJC is doing a great job filling in for him

23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here is a neat photo that was found on the "Vintage shots from days gone by" thread on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Johnny Ritter's midget, later to become Ken Brenn's.

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

26. baldtireman

baldtireman

Would this be the Car in the Gary Bridge and Iron collection? #21 :rolleyes:

27. Found this picture on the California Speed and Sport Facebook page. Thought it may be of interest. Wonder where this car is now?

Attached Files:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Very interesting, a first for me. By chance I came across this on E-bay a while back. They must have used a 2 speed rear, something like the Halibrand r/e Q.C. judging by the syncros. :confused:

Attached Files:

29. Frye jr

Frye jr

In 1967 my Dad Danny Sr bought the Frank Pavis x Vic Edelbrock Kurtis Ford 60. It had a 2 speed Q/C in it. It was the only one I ever saw. Dad told me would break my fingers if I tried to shift gears because you couldn't replace it.

30. Frye jr

Frye jr

Sorry that was 1969 not 67