Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 reverse lights and Rebel Wires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Jan 7, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I have a T5 installed in my 51 Chevy. It still has the reverse light switch in the side of the housing but I have never hooked it up. My Rebel 21 has a circuit for back up lights that I have pulled the wire to the rear of the car but I don't know how to wire the switch to the lights. In all of the searches I've done it shows a pigtail inside to a column plug but I have the stock column so no wires.

Can anyone guide me on how to wire this up so I can get some back up lights? I'm planning on mounting some lights under the rear splash pan so they are hidden but still throw light when needed.

Thanks for the help. Bill

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Sounds like a "hot" wire TO the switch on the trans, second wire FROM the trans switch to the back-up lights. Use an OHM meter to make sure the switch on trans "makes" when shifted into REVERSE...if so, should work! Of course, don't forget to ground the lights. DD

3. Since your switch wiring is located by the column, I would just mount a relay there and run a single wire down to the transmission. If your reverse switch is a single terminal, it should ground when in reverse, if it has two terminal, just ground one of them by the switch.

4. usmile4

usmile4

This is what I have. I believe the plug on the lower part of the trans case is the reverse lights switch.

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That wire you pulled all the way back should go to the switch first (use either post/wire) then run a wire from the other post/wire to the back of the car to the lamps.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

bottom is back up lights and the upper one is nuetral safety switch

7. usmile4

usmile4

this is the trans in my 51. Looks like I don't have the neutral safety switch.

[​IMG]

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9. themole

themole
    from So-Cal

One wire, either the blue or the green, should go to the backup lights. The other wire should go to a connection that becomes hot with the ignition. PM me if you'd like a diagram.

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

my s10 5 speed didn't have a neutral switch either. but a friends mustang 5 speed did.

11. usmile4

usmile4

I got the reverse lights hooked up.

I located the wires in the engine compartment from the Rebel kit for back up lights and back up lights power. All I had to do was extend those wires to the switch on the trans.

Then I stopped at my local Advance Auto and picked up a set of off road lights. These were just the right size to mount on the rear cross brace under the trunk. I think they will not be visible when I get the bumpers installed.

[​IMG]

Turned the key on and put it in Reverse and I have back up lights. I still need to aim them but want to wait for the bumpers and to get it on level ground.

[​IMG]

The small lights are pretty bright. They have a 55 watt bulb.

[​IMG]

12. Not so sure if your T-5 B/u switch will handle the load of 2, 55 watt bulbs for long. I'd have to go with Rich B's suggestion to use a relay in the circuit to take the load off that switch...just my thoughts.

13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

T5?..... oh that's out of a '44 Packard!

14. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why do you want back up lights?

15. usmile4

usmile4

My driveway has a retaining wall on one side and the house on the other...at night it sure helps to have back up lights going down that driveway.