Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with Buffing my brand new clear coat.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pugly, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jazz1

jazz1

I thought the car looked great before you started fixing it but then I never strive for perfection...I have never buffed and polished as I think it is best left to a pro or at least have an experienced individual on hand to assist until you learn the ropes
    GLTYa

2. slammed

slammed

The Perfect It 6068 and a black foam pad you need any way. By doing part of the hood you should be able to determine if your present paint job is fine. There was no haze in the paint before you buffed it.

3. Bull

Bull

Rusty,

Thanks for the plug. I work for Wizards. You're referring to our Wipe Down. I call it truth serum for buffing. It will wipe away any oils left from the compounding process that are just filling in or hiding the scratches or swirls. Additionally we've found it to be a great detailer for flat or matte finishes (I've got 2 flat painted Model A's of my own) You can find it here: http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=12&cat=0&page=1

We've also got a great line of compounds and pads on the site. Check out our Mystic Cut Compound: http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=101&cat=0&page=1 as well as the Mystic Polish Machine Glaze that goes with it: http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/product.php?productid=102&cat=0&page=1

Be sure to use coupon code HAMB15 for 15% off in the online store.

To the original poster, I'd be happy to e-mail you our "How to Buff Without Swirls" document if you PM me your e-mail address. You can also e-mail me at [email protected] or call me at 800-356-7223 and I can walk you through it.

Adam

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

use a yellow wool pad .make sure it says buff on the back .not polish .use the 3m number 1 in the purple bottle.then go over it with the 3m grey foam pad with a foam pad glaze for dark colors

the only thing that scares me is 5 coats of clear. i never do more than three .even though you think its dry .its not. under that much clear and as the solvents evaporate the clear will always look dull or hazy.

5. 40fordconv

40fordconv

6. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

I think Gary C from Chicago nailed it. So says Garry Carter from Spring Branch.

7. Pugly

Pugly

Well...... i think y'all are all right to a point.

I got home with the 3M machine polish and tried it out in an area with the buffer turning faster. It took all the haze out, I still got the scratches so I used some of the EZ cut with a different foam pad... That took out most of the scratches.

Guess it just needs more time working it.

Damn this is a lot of work.

8. slammed

slammed

YES! Congratulations, your learning as you go.