Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Not so much to this topic but this trailer is gonna be towed with Comet. I just gotta build tow bar to Comet.

I bought it from Holland last weekend. Needs desperately new paint job. Maybe something wild?? :D

Attached Files:

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

KOOL COMET , HAVE A 4-DOOR & SOLD A S22 . Keep posted please.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

3. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I'll say it again: I love 2-door Comet wagons. In fact, I used to have one, and I'll try to post photos of mine.

In the meantime, please keep us posted.

Thanks! Good luck with it.

4. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks guys! I'll update this thread everytime when there's something to tell. Now Comet is almost frozen (yes, damn winter is coming) 'cos I have other projects to build.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Pretty neat trailer,i talked about that with mr.V at the work earlier at today..
    So,looks like you got some more paint job to do:D

6. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

7. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

8. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Looks like you could polish it, get it rnning and use it...until you see the driver's side.

Back in IL, it's probably not rusty to most folks...but too bad about the below the drip rail rust and little places like that.
    Still a cool car.

Luckily I have too many 4-door Comet wagons already!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

My colleague told me that you've been messing with Ford Taunus lately.My bro used to have that body type taunus too.I had two of the later models,when i was in the army.Both of them were rusted pieces of crap,but they worked like a clock.I remember that the guys from my unit started to bet that i wont get it started on winter.But i got it running and i saw same guys pushing their own,15 yrs newer japanese cars.I gave them finger when i was passing the ricer pushing team on the parking lot.
    Those were the days:D

10. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Messing with Taunus?? :D Well I'm big mess my self but i still like those cars 'cos i used to have coupe Taunus when i was 15. Everyone else had Suzuki PVs and Honda Monkeys but I had coupe Taunus! Haha... It's a simple car, easy to fix and parts are cheap.

11. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Another one just turned up on c-list on the West Coast.

(I am not connected with the ad in anyway, just always looking for them!)

Seller want$ a lot, but it is a decent project '62 2-door wagon.

7/17:
    (To anyone lookking for one... - it WAS a lot - $3500. - today, 7/17 I saw the ad again and they are asking $1700.
    Someone get it.).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  12. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Some update to this topic... None. Comet has been in the garage almost a year and more ahead. We sold our house and now we're moving to neighbour town. The best part in the new house is that I finally got own garage!
    It's been kinda busy year and I quit my job also. Sounds freaky but I got already a new job.

stationWAGONS:

I'm looking that heater box to my Comet. I need everything, switches, heater box, hoses etc. Parts anywhere??

13. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Last tuesday I drove Comet from my old garage to new garage. It was there over a year and I visited there less than five times. There's been so much things to do...

Anyway, battery was charged night before pick up and it started at first crank. Like it was driven yesterday! Out of the garage and few test brakes to make sure that brakes are working properly.

Then I hit the road and drove it back home. Damn, it was so cool to drive it after so long time and that nice inline six sound was music to my ears... :cool:

There's some rust issues that had to be done at this winter...

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats cool,good luck with the new home!

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Such a cool Wagon project !

16. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks!

There are now wheel dollies under Comet so I can push it sideways in the garage. There is some rust issues in roof drip rails and rear side windows must be removed. Water is leaking to the trunk between side windows and think that there is really bad rust damage under the seal.

I also have some speed goodies to the engine. I have better cylinder head with bigger valves and header. Engine tune up is somewhere in the future but it is good to have parts already for that job.

Attached Files:

17. sololobo

sololobo

Really dig that wagon bro. I had not seen a tudoor Comet wagon either. Had two 56 Plymouth tu-door wagons and a 59 Ford tu-door wagons so have a soft spot for these rides. Great work on this cool project. Rock on brother! ~sololobo~

18. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks man! I also dig wagons and there´s nothing to do with that I have family and dog. Haha... It's good that roof is bit rusty 'cos now I really have to do some flake job to the roof.

19. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Damn... somebody has stolen my motivation. Who was it?? So much else to do that I don't have any interest to do Comet.

20. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Hello JiiTee, it was nice to meet you few times during last season... and that Impala you painted looks just great!

Looking forward for more Comet updates!

21. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Hi Otto, yeah it was nice to meet you too. I didn't know about that Impala story anything until I saw it on the magazine. Helluva job was that but I think it was worth it.

22. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Small update...

I found that heater set up almost my neighbour town. Donor car was -65 Comet. I bought everything what is related to heater.
    Heater box had a crack and I fixed it yesterday. Box needs some paint and new seal kit. Heater core must be checked for leaks. Defrost ducts are in bad shape and I think I'll buy new ones with new hoses.

Attached Files:

23. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

You do nice work and wanted to ask where you bought the floor sheet metal?

24. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

25. New core from RockAuto fixed mine - now it burns me out of the car!!

Defroster ducts were fixed with a little fibreglas. Cut two holes in a piece of plywood to hold ducts, then fibreglassed to rebuild/strengthen. Easy.

BTW, nice wagon, I could use one as my 4 door Falcon can be a bit hard to fit stuff in the trunk. Wife's Beetle ain't any better!!

Cosmo

26. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Cheers! Yesterday I thought that I make ducts from steel so they'll last forever. Maybe I'll do so... I thought new core also but old one looks pretty good but it hasn't been in use for a while.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see that you got your motivation back!
    So,you got few months left to tinker with it before our show;)

28. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Maybe it's just this f...kin winter... Oh man, that show but why I have to always build cars with deadline? :D

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Just busting your balls.You make it or not,you are welcome to the show anyway.Its at 20th of july at this year:)

30. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I'll be there anyway for sure. Good to know the date already so I don't make any plans for that weekend. I'm planning trip again to Holland but this time with Comet... Let's see.