Register now to get rid of these ads!

DARRYL's LICENSE PLATE RESTORATION Opinion...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHIPPIE, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Well, they've had my plates now for 3 months now and no sign of them. They called me in late November saying they were done and being mailed out. Two weeks later and still no plates in my mailbox I called them up and asked what's up. They told me they realized they had painted the plates the wrong color and had to redo them. I then called them mid December and they stated they thought they had already mailed them out and would get back to me. A day later they called and said they had found them in the back of the oven, (whatever that meant-is that a secret code or something?... lol). Anyway, another couple of weeks went by with no plates in my mailbox so I called them again just before new years and the old couple got into it right over the phone because the 'ol timer said the mail was too heavy for him to carry!!! (Probably because of so many other people anxiously waiting for their plates).... and now here it is, January 6th and still no license plates that I've paid BIG MONEY for..... very-very disappointed in their service and I'm actually wondering now if I'll ever see them!!!
    Anyone else have a nightmare story from this place?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

More than likely that your plates are sitting in the same spot as when they got them, excuses for laziness in my opinion

3. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

That's sucks, where are they located? Can you head down there?

4. Beau

Beau

Looks like Pennsylvania.

5. SHIPPIE

SHIPPIE

Ya.... I'm in California and their in PA.... I'll buy Cheesesteaks for Joey and his cousins to go find out what's going on with my plates!!!.... Hahaha
    This restoration shop s stressing me out!!!

Posted from the TJJ App

6. Sounds pretty unprofessional when they get into an argument right there while you're on the phone.:eek:.... Give 'em one more call and tell 'em if they don't get your tags to you pronto, you're gonna summon up all of your Mid-Atlantic HAMB pals to make a run on the place. That ought to scare 'em into action.:rolleyes:

7. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

8. chris' 38

chris' 38

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Certainly can't offer any help here...but I'm just wondering why a restoration shop for plates ONLY even exists!?!?

Can't a local bodyshop redo them? I mean, paint scanners are common and can match a colour easily.

Am I missing something plate specific!?!? :confused:

10. KATFISH

KATFISH

Call me,we very rarely have plates longer than a month

11. .....There actually are a few places that just restore plates, some obviously more efficiently than others. Even though they could certainly do it, I doubt most body shops would care to fool with 'em, you know with loading a gun just to paint one or two plates and then the cleanup, just wouldn't be cost effective.

12. Call them and ask them to return them,,,NOW,,if you don't get satisfaction have a local attorney write them a letter. HRP

13. Johnny La-Chingas

Johnny La-Chingas

The quality is bitchen, I had mine restored by darryls and it took over 5 months, I only sent him 1 plate since I was still driving the car. I sent my second plate to some one local and paid a lot cheaper but not as nice as darryls..

14. You said you payed good money for them,is that to get the plates or to have them done up ? I would ask for them back and get one of the other plate resto places to do them.Someone here will recommend a good one. Good luck getting them back. JW

15. noboD

noboD

They are in Duryea, Pa. along rt.81 close to Scranton.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some of the reviews on line said they do good work, but here is what one guy said:

Worse customer service. Darryl has had our vintage plate for over a YEAR!

How they stay in business with turnaround like that is amazing ! :eek: What makes it really bad though is the many different stories they keep telling you........(they were shipped, then they weren't shipped, then they are in the oven, etc) They might be good at restoring plates but they have no idea how to run a business.

I swear I am going to start a consulting business for companies in this industry and go in like the guy on Bar Rescue and teach them how to treat customers and run a business the right way. There are so many of them that don't really get it.

Don

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'd recommend just trying to get them back. Hopefully you didn't have to pay up front for the work.

Restoring plates is not as easy as it might seem...If the plates are in perfect condition and only need painted and lettered it can be fairly straightforward. But if there is any damage it can be a real task.

I can understand the need for time..even months... that may seem unreasonably long to a person unfamiliar with the work that is needed, but I can't understand excuses.

18. ........Well said, Don. I've known some incredibly talented craftsmen in various disciplines that haven't the first clue about what constitutes good customer service.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No excuses. Spread the word. This sort of behavior cannot be rewarded.

20. I hear ya! There is really no excuse for this kind of crap.

Rule # 1: Be Honest With Your Customers and for God's sake communicate with them! If your'e backed up or there is going to be a delay, tell people up front. Most folks are understanding if you're honest.

Rule #2: Under promise and over deliver, not the other way around.

Rule #3: Back up your product and give excellent customer service. So many vendors forget the folks are forking over hard earned money. It is a privelege to serve them.

Rule #4: Offer a safe and quality product because folks are using whatever you are selling on their pride and joy. They should never be ashamed of what they bought and you should never be ashamed to put your name on it.

There's probably a few other rules I could think of if I were to give it some thought, but to me these are the most important.

OP - Get your plates and your money back. These excuses that you are getting are bullshit.

21. Had them do two different sets several years ago. Their quality was outstanding. They told me up front it would take some time. It did. But now you have Katfish in the DFW are. That does very good work and his turn around is quick.

22. 117harv

117harv

I just Googled him, this HAMB thread is the 6th one down, maybe this will help with customer service?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No excuses should ever be required. Never promise what you cannot, or will not do.

There have been an handful of times that I was, due to extenuating circumstances, unable to deliver promised work withing the promised timetable. In each case, I was immediately up-front with the customer, finished the work, as promised, late, but as quickly as possible, and as a gesture of good will, at no charge for labor.

My philosophy has always been, if YOU screw up, YOU pay for it, and yes, that means if someone you contract with screws up, or one of your employees does, YOU own that too.

Nobody deserves to have a business. You have to EARN IT.

24. Well said!

25. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Hey I don't live to far from there . Let me know what I can do, I'd be glad to help if I can.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think most plate restorers use an air brush gun, so "loading a gun" really isn't an issue with such small amounts.

27. ShadowRuleZ

ShadowRuleZ
    from Detroit

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are in the pre-order qualification stage, until about this time next year. If they get enough pre-orders, then they will go through with the program. If not, they give back the money, and call it a day.

In any case, the plates will not be available for quite some time. That and they are not Year of Manufacture plates, just old-school colors.

29. KATFISH

KATFISH

Thanks 325w

My cell# is 817 727-9185

I understand i'm mentioned in the Feb. Street Rodder for doing plates for Marcus Edell's
    34 Ford Ca. plates.

Havent seen it yet

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Who ships a license plate to be restored ? I dont get it... Do it yourself already.