Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewski, Jan 5, 2013.

1. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Being a relatively young guy at 51, I prefer car events you drive to and attend such as the late Hunnert, Messaround, Symco Shakedown, Back to the Fifties and soon to be Billetproof, etc for our area versus the typical car show where you park by class, car behind the ropes type event to "show" my vehicle. That's mainly where I see the lack of younger crowd. Even the cruise nights here seem to seperate the ages of attendance by how it's run, somewhat divided by using your vehicle versus look what I got, whip out the car duster, don't touch mentality. Not sure what the event was like that you were attending but thats where I see a defiinite age gap.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think the big shows, like AutoRama, scare young guys from fixing up old cars. That's what happened to me in '74. I had read the magazines and oogled at the pics, but when I went to my first AutoRama, it scared me back to the reality of BIG MONEY. I didn't know a lot, still don't, but I knew all that chrome and candy paint cost major money. Way more than a job sacking groceries would buy. Hell, I stopped liking them because they looked out of reach.

Then, around 2005, I went to a little cruise-in and saw what the "regular" guys were driving. Yea, some had $10,000 paint jobs and looked like the guy owned a chrome shop, but most were nice, simple homemade hotrods. That made me rethink the formula.

So, maybe if the regular shows, Like 'Round-up" or "Billet Proof" had something to attract the younger guys, then an interest might get formed. First off, the old guys with hotrods need to get out more. I know a couple guys who only drive their cars once or twice a summer. The batteries run down from sitting too long. If people start thinking a hotrod is only good for a parade or two, they aren't going to drop money or time on one. That's why I drive mine everyday, except rain (it's a roadster). People see me everyday and I've had people comment that they didn't even know you could drive a car like mine on city streets, unless it was to a show or something. I let folks sit in it, so they get a feel for it. One guy I met actually started a '27 and he's like 22-25.

So, there is hope. We just have to stop acting like a blood initiation is required. Promote the smaller shows to the younger folks. I bet no one has ever put up a show flyer in a highschool or college. How about a library or the local McDonalds? These are the places youth are going to. And while it's hard, show a little respect to what he's building. If his Honda looks quick, and some are crazy quick, let him know YOU get it.

3. 61 chevy

61 chevy

if it wasnt for car shows nobody would see your hard work, the sport would die, :eek:

4. kasultana

kasultana

I'm 43 and have 3 boys. Luckily all of them are into the cars we are building and the '66 ,just a little too young for HAMB, truck we have. I think it's just about giving them the tools and letting them try stuff and then stopping before they get bored. Also I will say the folks a generation ahead of me have been great and teaching me all the time. I know I'll keep working to make another generation of gearheads with appreciation of pre-war/pre-66 cars and fixing things yourselves. Thanks to those who help pass knowledge here it makes a big difference.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As for you old folks....... stop "power parking" the lawn chairs! No wonder kids don't go, they don't have a good spot to sit!:D

"Next time he gets close to my car... I'm gonna run his ass over with my rascal!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. 34Flatty

34Flatty

Im 33...I've been having a continual conversation with hot rod friends about the future of hot rodding/the classic car industry. I think there will always be guys like me that are into old cars, but once my parents generation is gone, I think the volume of old cars on the market will greatly increase and drive prices down quite a bit. As sad as it may be that there would be less people into old cars, it is exciting to think about what cars I may be able to own in the future that I can not afford now?!?!?!?

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One day, the Chinese are going to start popping out '32 roadsters for $5,000 and all this will come to an end. All someone has to do is ship the plans over there. A few simple mods to keep the patent police happy and we'll see them every where.

Hell, maybe they're already working on it. If I was in China and saw what a rusted '32 brings, I'd be pressin' new ones out all day long. All that "Buy American" would fly out the window. Man, what a nightmare.

8. Drewski

Drewski

Just as soon as I can get this project put together that's what I plan on doing.....now where did I leave my walker!

The reason that I came to this car show was for the swap meet section. I enjoy fabrication and had a few things I was hoping to find. The car show portion was rather small with a cross section of muscle cars, rods some of which we don't mention on this site, trucks, few motorcycles, etc......

I got over the car show thing a loooong time ago. I only go to cruise ins where I have the freedom to come and go as I please. And yes the cruises do seem to be divided by age groups like you describe.

My intent on this thread was not to slam the younger guys in any way, it was just an observation that I made that I had never thought anything about before today. I did see a few younger guys inside the show, but the graybeards were the majority.

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This is my observation

The line to the tickets sales booth that takes EFTPOS [ or plastic ] is usually 1/2 a mile long.
    But you can usually walk up to the "Cash only" booth and go straight in. :D

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I noticed
    Yes when TV action fever struck and prices for builders went nuts….I predicted a ton of young people would be pushed out.
    You cant hardly find even a decent 60’s car w 2 doors for under 5 grand

11. im kinda in the middle age wise (45), most of my car buddies my age are no where near as skilled as the young guys in our crowd. there are several guys in their 20's maybe as old as 30 who are VERY skilled fabricators. THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR THE HOBBY !!! and don't forget that most younger guys have big mortgage payments and young kids to look after, careers to get going etc. i didn't get to go crazy with the car stuff until i got a little older. oh yeah when you older guys were young a used car was a 40 ford, 57 chevy etc. now a used car is a 2000 four door four cyl shitbox.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Word.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Back in 1999, the wife and I went to the GNRS. My wife said, "These are nice cars, but why does everyone have white hair?". So I explained how much money was invested in those cars and kids couldn't afford it. Then younger kids started getting involved and attending car shows like Billet Proof, Primer Nationals and Mooneyes. I found those shows much more fun and reserve my car show experience to those types of shows. Plus,,,,,,,the women look better!

14. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

most young people don't care about patience & doing things right - they haven't picked up the need to use turn signals & you wonder why they're not interested in "old" cars? most of them couldn't give you a no.2 phillips out of the tool box!

15. Model T1

Model T1

16. Fenders

Fenders

Yes ... and why we aren't seen at car "shows".

But maybe swaps like Amherst NH last Sunday of the month April - Oct...

17. Davyj

Davyj

If you want to see younger rodders, go to Detroit in March, downstairs at Cobo hall will be packed to the rafters....................

18. flatout51

flatout51

Im 27 and ive been going to car shows with my dad my entire life... Honestly I dont really go anymore... 90% of the cars at 90% of shows are just walk bys... I would rather be driving my car or working in the garage then going to a show and walking through once seeing maybe 5 cars I havent seen before or even care to look at and wasting a full day of my weekend. Just my opinion but maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to shows.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

At our AutoRama last year, they had an "Outdoor Cruis-in'" setup. All the cars were driven in because it was out front on the street. By my count there only about about 30 cars. The crowd was awesome and not because they had to walk by to get into the inside show. Young people were enjoying the fact that hotrods are driven. Between the guys I parked with and myself, we answered a hundred questions. From how to do it to how to get registered. They want to learn. They just need to know it's possible and there's no better advertisement than seeing a hotrod driving around or sitting outside the grocery store or parked away from the $100,000 crowd.

You show a youngster a pic of the last AMBR and he may admire it, but deep inside he'll think it's out of his league. That's got to change. Unfortunately, TV has yet to do a REAL "reality" show. These youngsters are visually motivated.

20. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I park as far away from the Tri Five gold chainers as I can.

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What kind of car show was it? When it's something that caters to street rods than yes, you're going to have a lot of the geriatric crowd there. When it comes to the traditional hot rod shows like Billetproof, Poor Boys Midnight Mass, Primer Nationals, etc. you're going to have a lot of the youngsters attending along with the elderly:eek::eek::D

22. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Hope the price drop happens haha, but in the nicest way possible :D

23. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

I agree with you to a point...Rat rods are the worst thing to ever happen, they drove the prices up so insanely high that none of us minimum wage teens can afford a classic car. Dont get me wrong i love my 65' Nova ss but would kill for a 32 haha

24. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Been a long time since I have been to a indoor show. World of Wheels and the likes hits me as the show for "Who can spend the most on their car" and DON'T DRIVE IT.I much rather attend local cruise ins, Billit Proof and the NSRA events. Lot's of drivers. Us white beards need to be more cordial to the younger generation. NATHAN 289 brought up a good point about being shunned by the whiteys at cruise ins and got tired of it. I have seen it here on the HAMB time and time again with a FNG or NEWBIE being bashed for a "stupid question???" or a repeated thread they didn't know existed, and 9 out of 10 times it comes from a senior or alliance member. I am a white beard going on 72 years young and I talk my head off to the younger guys AND gals at a cruise in. You have to remember alot of these kids have never seen the likes of our era of cars and are facinated with them and "stupid" sounding to you. If your sitting there in that fold up arm chair, get off your ass and play substitute teacher and at least brag about your ride. Put it in your head, THERE IS NO STUPID!!!

25. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

Drewski,was that the show in Mufreesboro? if so was there a good turn out?

26. im 42 and of my age group im one of a few all of my car show going friends are older then me atleast 50year olds

but i see alot of younger guy walking around looking calling ford chevies and chevies fords and not caring how dumb they look (appearence wise and knowledge wise)

27. I dont like to wait either and I am a really old guy .... blame it on the Army or whatever but waiting isnt fun .... I would rather have a hot poker in the eye.

28. metalix_421

metalix_421

maybe it is dying.
    Im 25 but Im not a big fan of shows, mainly because id rather be working on em or finding them in the fields.

and for the record, all my 3 year old wants to do is look for old rusty cars or play with his hot wheels. no other toy matters.
    the life of building and driving old metal will not go away, at least not in this family.

but if it does everywhere else, then when Im in my 50s the cars will be cheap:D

29. fordmechanic

fordmechanic
    BANNED

im 29. most of my money goes towards my mortgage, car payment, and wife and daughter. hot rods are expensive here. a crappy body for 2 grand, a speedway axle, suspension,brakes for another grand. engine and trans another grand. rear end and wheels another grand. it all adds up quick and thats basic no frills. of coarse it scares younger guys when they see money. yeah it can be done cheap if you rat rod it but it looks like crap. its not that people dont like old cars its that unless your in a car club and have connections its hard to find a starting point. people say "their still out there" but i don't see them.

30. i have to agree with what you said. i will be 62 this year and my 29 year old son has lost intrest in cars and rides harlys now. i get my f-1 out and drive it rain or shine every opertunity i get. i go to some big events and cannot get over the mega dollar trailered cars. bike riders get in large groups and ride, try to get hot roddrs to do it. no way. i love this hobby and vintage drag racing, but if we dont get more involved our selves and get our cars out where people see them, then we are going to fade away.