Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No picture of a bare chassis but I don't think the beer wagon had a 96'' w.b.

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, assuming it is an old Indy roadster I doubt the cowl is its original. It may help to track it down to when it last raced in the 70s-80s-? though.

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I agree on the wheel base. Just wondering, we always here of Indy roadsters being shortened into sprint cars, could a sprint roadster been stretched into a super?

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the explanation, unassembled. It's still a great story, isn't it?

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sure, no reason it couldn't be if the rules called for a 96" min. I really don't know how what kind of rules they had in that part of the country though. My experience is that most pavement super rules often called for a 90" min. (?)

6. guffey

guffey

I am pretty convinced at this point that it is a speedway car. It has the remains of jack points on the front. That existing magnesium body panel with the patched vent hole and the repaired area where the exhaust hanger came through. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I also think the magnesium foot box that has been cut on for clearance points in that direction. ??

And they way it appears with that cowl and nose may lead to the trail going backwards. Thanks for all the comments and interest.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

I just found this picture and was going to post it . A lot of famous drivers in this picture including the winningest AAA big car driver Bob Sall.

8. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

1962 URC co-champions Earl Halaquist and Bobby Courtwright.

Attached Files:

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm inclined to agree with you. Keep us updated on what you learn as you go along.

10. guffey

guffey

guffeystuff 002.jpg

guffeystuff 003.jpg

guffeystuff 007.jpg

guffeystuff 008.jpg

I thought I would add these photos of some of those things

11. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Good eye on the exhaust bracket. Hopefully another Indy roadster found and saved! You just need a chassis whisperer to talk to it and find out its history!

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Something I came across from 1962 that may,or may not, be relevent to anything but Ruby drove a Watson for Thompson Ind. that year.

Attached Files:

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Wow that does look similar. None of my Watson plans or pictures have that little kick up over the rear axle though.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I've never seen one like that either. The artical doesn't say it's a Watson chassis specifically so that's why I say it may not be relevent, just throwing it out there.

15. guffey

guffey

The Greg Littleton roadster book attributes 2 cars to Barney Christianson a 1959 from Watson plans ( Travelon trailer) and a 1961 that Ruby drove in 62 for Thompson Industries. ?? looks quite similar and the gussets are drilled about the same from what I see.

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I agree with the gusset holes, plus the swoopy rear tubes. Rootie may have solved this one in record time! At least a very strong lead.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Watson was pretty free about providing his prints to other builders and of course they could change and configure to their liking but they were usually classified as a Watson none the less.

18. guffey

guffey

I couldn't remember if it had that gusset in the photo and all the gussets that I remember being on the car had 3 holes, so I went to look. It was there and has 2 holes?

guffeystuff 002.jpg

19. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I saw them from a distance. The close up really looks the same. Those could be 2 valuable holes!

20. guffey

guffey

Maybe instead of being a "lump of coal" now it is a "diamond in the rough". It sure looks close. If it is not the car in the photos, it was surely built by the same guy and that narrows things down. And those photos may help determine some of the stuff that has been hacked on and changed. ???

Thanks to Rootie and BZNeil for your help and enthusiasm! I had a hell of a time spelling enthusiasm. Guffey

ps Sorry to everybody else for derailing the thread for a couple of pages.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's probably avenue worth pursuing. The other car Barney C. built (the Travelon car) is alive and well out west and the owner is quite active in the vintage scene. Maybe one of our left coast friends can put you in touch with him and you could e-mail some pics to see what, if any, similarities there are. Just a thought.

22. guffey

guffey

Thanks, can you tell what magazine the photo was in. and I am not sure who owns the Travelon car but I had the same thoughts.

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

June 1962 Todays Motor Sports, what I posted was the only mention of that particular car. I believe the owner of the Travelon car is named Nelson(?) Carl S. will know for sure.

24. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

This to me is classic Don Brown. I just got a nose,hood and cowl from Gene Gibson,molds pulled from Dons rabbit. The tail mold is gone

25. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

26. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

If that is the car Lloyd Ruby drove in 1962, it was a 1958 Watson that jimmy Reece drove in 1958. At least that is what the 1962 Floyd Clymer's book says of it. That does not jibe with the "Watson Years" book by Gary Wayne. Wayne does not have this car in the 500 field in 1962. It was turned to a coil over for 1963. It was retired by Zink after 1963 and was still in the Zink museum in 1956 Livery. (it was painted to look like the 56 winner when he used it as a campaign centerpiece when Zink ran for the Senate.

27. guffey

guffey

I wish it was that car but I think Ruby was in the car you are talking about in 1963 not 62. Thats the way it looks in the Littleton roadster book. ? I don't know.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

JMO- but I don't think the 1958 Reece car and the 1962 Ruby car are the same, judging by the nose shape and starter shaft spud.

Attached Files:

29. guffey

guffey

You have to squint real hard to see it

roadster a.jpg ruby 62.jpg

30. dmccraryart

dmccraryart

Hi, I'm new to this thread - I've already spent way too much time here- the older sprint/midget/ roadster race cars are some of the most beautiful shapes ever put on four wheels! This is my water color of the old Enterprise Machine Special as driven by Ralph Liguori, among others.
    Dan McCrary

Attached Files: