Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Merry Christmas from the ''Home alone'' Parrot in Poland

[​IMG]

He sent this to us to show he's loosing weight :)

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

Fat parrots a Polish delicacy?

Merry Christmas, and a GREAT New Year to all the HAMB crew!

Herb

3. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Thanks for identifying the drivers. I wonder if the photo was taken before the victory banquet? I've read that they use to take place at the Claypool Hotel. I've also seen references to parties at the Broadmoor Country Club.

Here's another fun picture: Art Sparks and the Chevrolet Brothers.

Attached Files:

4. It certainly is Louis Chevrolet's birthday on Dec.25th. I celebrate it every year!:) Merry Christmas to everyone who contribute to the HAMB, throughout the year.

5. Thanks for the info, it is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle of parts.

6. ehdubya

ehdubya

Thanks for the correction Michael, I found a pic of Billy Chandler and the real "Braender Bulldog"...

[​IMG]

and a picture of the three Merecedes on 1912 Milwaukee Vanderbilt grid (Wishart and Clark at rear)

[​IMG]

I wonder if Wishart got a new car or upgraded his existing one and when ...and where the Clark car appeared from and disappeared to.

The body of Mulford's 1913 Indy car looks to have survived DePalma's crash remarkably well...

[​IMG]

This purports to be George Clark at Milwaukee GP, from the number I'm not sure about the event...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beals acquired this car with HS according to this...

http://winfield.50megs.com/Adams/37Beals.htm

Attached Files:

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here's a research asignment for all you race car aficionados...does anybody have any good info and photos of the 6-cyl White that raced at Indy in 1911 or 1912?

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes...here it is, in stylistic period photoshopped glory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. ehdubya

ehdubya

This is all I have MrT

[​IMG]

Welshman Johnny Jenkins White 490ci 7th 1912 Indy 500

Attached Files:

10. sramoa

sramoa

Here is an other ice event from Germany in 1932:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXvQk7BJnY

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This is totally off topic but I thought it might give us some understanding about how the early racing cars we are interested in were constructed.

We found this incredible film from the Library of Congress (click here to watch it) in it a group of men
    forge weld one area of a large ring. They use the heat from a fire and weld it the old fashioned blacksmith way, after multiple heats and much hand and steam hammering. Take a few minutes to watch this fascinating look back at how it was done well over 100 year ago. The ring is presumably a piece of a generator or motor.

The film was made by the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company during 1904 and filmed by
    camera man, G.W. “Billy” Bitzer. The film above was shot on April 18, 1904, at the Westinghouse
    Electric & Manufacturing Co. in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I was not able to find anymore photos of the White that Jenkins raced but did find these pre race press clipping all out of The Automobile Magazine.

Jenkins had a lot of tire trouble and finished the last couple of laps w/out a front tire!

Attached Files:

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice find T-Head, Fur Biscuit and Ehdubya! This is why you guys are the experts! :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  14. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Stefan Marjoram every year does a number of sketches that he calls his Auto Art Advent series. This year the talented film-maker, artist and photographer created a film so we could watch him at work creating the sketch above. Stop by The Old Motor and watch the video and follow along as it is really interesting and done in high speed.

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

I love Stefan's work and was really honored to find out that he did one of these little sketches based on my roadster...... :eek: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna ask if he will do a commissioned piece of my roadster since the original above sold already.

Sorry....not trying to hijack.

16. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I've got a complete, running 29 Model 2 door chassis..... hmmmm... maybe it's time to knock out an old school speedster this next year.

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are only three of many interesting photos along with much interesting information that we have up in a detailed post all about Bohn and Bohnalite in Detroit who made quite a bit of Flathead speed equiptment.

[​IMG]

18. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McPherson College Auto Restoration Program needs the old car communities help

This is OT but we hope that you will consider helping

Happy New Years day to all, we have picked this day to start out The Old Motor fundraiser to help The McPherson College Automotive Restoration Program. The College needs our help to be able to obtain needed equipment, which will help with furthering the education of the students. Follow along and learn more about the College and its restoration program.

The Automotive Restoration Technology Program at McPherson College was established in 1976 through the generosity and foresight of local entre-preneur Gaines H. “Smokey” Billue, who provided funds for the construction of Templeton Hall along with additional operating capital through the donation of a portion of his classic and antique car collection – an initial investment of over $2.5 million.

This unique automotive restoration program attracted the attention of classic car enthusiast Jay Leno. In 1997, Leno established the Fred J. Duesenberg Scholarship at McPherson College to provide financial assistance for automotive restoration students. One year later, Leno combined forces with Popular Mechanics magazine to provide a full scholarship each year for a sophomore restoration student, you can learn more about it here.

The school is very well equipped, but always has the need for new and additional equipment and that is what this fund raiser is all about. Wanting to further the students educations, they need our help to to obtain the following equipment.

Any amount towards any needed item, no matter how small will be more than welcome. You can also buy any particular tool or piece of equipment and contribute the full amount for it also if you would prefer. All contributions will go 100% directly to the program and the College. Please take a moment to stop by The Old Motor for information about the school and the fundraiser and we also have a couple of interesting videos where you can learn more.

And big thank you from us and the College for for helping them out if you can. And just remember two things; the help we were given by others when we we younger and by helping the students today, they may down the road help us with our own cars as they are the FUTURE.

[​IMG]

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We have a post up filled with photos and the story of early racer Chester Cheney. He started his racing driving for the Staver team (above) took quite a few wins and ran at Elgin in 1910.

Below he is next to the rail in this photo with Oldfield and others. I am trying to ID the Tornado and the Blue Streak and the rest of the drivers. Could some of these have been Will Pickens cars? Check out the post as there are many more photos at TheOldMotor.com

[​IMG]

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Dave, i came accross a few mentions of 'Blue Streak' and 'Tornado' but a couple of these races could be from a much earlier period.

In Febuary 1905 at New Orleans, LA, Barney Oldfield crashed and damaged the "Blue Streak' after going through a fence. No details on what make of car he was driving.

In July of 1905 a 24 hour race was held at Driving Park, Columbus, OH., as well as another event coinciding with the 24 hour grind named the Columbus Motor Derby with a $2,000 1st prize. Entrants for this race were Barney Oldfield, Earl Kiser in a Winton, Dan Cunory in 'the' Tornado, Charles Burman in his Blue Streak and so on but most importantly there is no word of Chester Cheney being in attendance. Again, no details of car makes.

In 1912 at the Big Four Fairgrounds in Nashua, IA., a 150hp De Dietrich "Tornado" driven by C.W.Cannar won the 1 Mile Exhibition ahead of Marion Arnold in a Marquette Buick and an Arbenz "Blue Streak" posting third fastest time.

I was only able to find Chester Cheney at one event at Albert Lea Fairgrounds, MN in 1912 driving a car entered as the Green Goblin which was in fact a De Dietrich 'Torpedo'.

The above information is hardly any help but i do find it somewhat interesting that a Blue Streak, a Tornado and Barney Oldfield were entered in the same race.

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Ivan.....Thanks so much, I think the two above might be the car in the photo??
    I am still searching and who knows what else might turn up Happy New Year

22. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Kurtis, a few years ago I went to my local library branch here in New Orleans to get information on the 1909 Mardi Gras races. The micro film copies of the local papers were very poor quality, and the the resolution was so bad I couldn't read the articles.

I contacted the Historic New Orleans Collection, a local non-profit organization, to find more information, but they didn't have anything on the old races that took place at the City Park Track.

I am planning on visiting the Tulane University special collections department soon, as I believe they have good micro film copies of the old newspapers. As soon as I find anything I'll let y'all know.

ZZZ

23. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Barney Oldfield is definitely not in this picture.

25. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Barney's "Blue Streak" was a Peerless.

"Blue Streak" and "Tornado" were fairly generic names for cars. The most famous "Tornado" was, perhaps, a 6-cylinder Case, but it's not the car in the picture. This could be any of a big number of small-town events - good luck in finding out!

26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

We have figured that out since this was posted, while he looks very much like Barney Oldfield, this may be Charles W. Canner in the "150hp De Dietrich Tornado".

It has turned out to be quite an interesting story thru the help of Kurtis and Carl Schultz.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Part II of the New York to Paris race is now up on TheOldMotor.com. It tells of George Schuster's involvement with the E.R. Thomas Co. up until 1907, the year the 22,000 mile New York to Paris race started. As always there are plenty of great photos and an interesting story to be read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And please make a contrubution to our fundraiser for the non-profit McPherson College for equipment and tools if possible. All the details can be found here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken in Niles, Ohio at some point in the teens and the owner/driver of this interesting racing car was John Clingan. West Peterson who is the editor of the AACA Antique Automobile magazine, would be happy for any help in trying to solve the mystery of the brand of car this racer was constructed from. It so far has stumped everyone.

It obviously was a very well built car, as was done in the era, with the radiator and probably the engine and transmission being set back in the chassis (although a few brands were built this way). There is also the possibility of it being built out of the parts of several different cars. This much is clear; It was very well done and appears to be about a 30 h.p. chassis, on about a 108″ w.b. and it is equipped with three quarter elliptic springs.

If you would like to see finer detail photos we have two of them here.

[​IMG]

And please make a contrubution to our fundraiser for the non-profit McPherson College for equipment and tools if possible. All the details can be found here.

29. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

T-Head this is a long shot but I suppose that trying to discover the history of some of these cars is always a long shot. There is a Rich Clingan who races in the Modified class at Sandusky Speedway in Sandusky, Ohio. Clingan is listed as living in Eaton Township, Ohio which is close to the location of your photograph. I wonder if he may be related to John Clingan and perhaps may have some knowledge of this car.

Again, a long shot but you never know.