Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Make Owned Which Year???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

An 850 with the Combat cam & compression would have been sweet. There were two P-11's at the AMCA meet in Dixon a couple years ago- nuttin' like a Norton twin dirt bike. One had a 4.50x18- on the FRONT... :p

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

'28 i think ford
    '32 ford
    '59 cadillac
    55 chevy
    56 chevy
    57 chevy
    '63 corvette
    '49 mercury
    '51 mercury

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As a Chrysler fan, when they came out with the Cordoba I thought it was terrible. It was a dinosaur, it summed up everything wrong with the old Chrysler corporation, and I felt their only hope was to dump that obsolete technology and get busy with the front drive, 4 cylinder turbocharged and V6, wave of the future.

Today I would love to have a 75 or 76 Cordoba or even better, the 79 300 version. As for the front drive cars they made back then, I wouldn't give you 10 cents for one.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quit often not what one imagines just like the 32 Ford/ 32 Chevy or the 57/Ford/57 Chevy thing. Owned as in sold the most or owned as in won the most races at the time or maybe was better for picking up the hot gals of the day?

The younger guys (probably those under 40) have lost out on one of the greatest automotive traditions that ever was and that was the day the New Year models went on display at the dealers. Usually late in September or early in October. The cars were almost always hidden in a back warehouse or back room of the dealership out of site of the public until the magic day when they were on display in the showroom for the first time. High school kids and other guys tried to sneak peeks at the cars ahead of time and it was a really big deal. Now it's 'oh yea, that one over there is the new 2014 sedan that we've had on the lot for a few days". The manufactures and dealers need to bring that aspect back rather than just throwing next year's model out whenever.

In 1960, 61 and early 62 I spent every other weekend with my dad when he lived in Renton Wa and we would make the rounds of the car lots in the area on Sunday Mornings after breakfast at Innies (sp) cafe in the Kent Valley. During that period Maroon 61 Catalina Venturas and any 62 Grand Prix Pontiac ruled in my book and the guy who cleaned the show room windows at the Pontiac dealership in Auburn Wa probably hated me on Monday mornings when he had to clean my nose and hand prints off the windows close to where a Catalina coupe or Grand Prix was sitting inside.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yuppers. And those P-11s were animals! Heavy, but lots of grunt.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

mmmmm, rich corinthean leather...

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hmmm, just a couple;

1958 - Buick - absolutely awesome chromeness, garnished with some more chrome

1960 - Cadillac Coupe - got one, love it to death, if only it was small enough that I could hang it on the wall - drop-dead gorgeous

1964 - Ford Galaxie Fastback or Convertible - again, got a 'vert. The best looking Ford of the sixties.

Of course, every Ford from 28 to 40 (except the 38 Deluxes (and 39 Standards) - just can't find them good lookin', and the 35's maybe not so good, especially after the 33/34's, but I digress).

Also, I'm quite partial to 55/56 Ford Victorias, 56 Lincoln Continentals, 50 Cad's, 49/50 Shoeboxes, 57 Chevies (don't care if they weren't the sales leader - they're bitchin'), 300 Letter Series Chryslers of thelate 50's and early 60's.

I'll keep thinkin' and get back to ya on some more.

Thanks for asking.

8. Actually lieing on my back looking up at the headlight as my granddad chuckled sombitch is not the word that comes to mind. :eek: It was several days before the old guy showed me how to use the compression release. Its no wonder I have a strange sense of humor. :p

Here is one for the peanut gallery, when someone mentions '23 I always think if a black and gold T bucket with a tall deck wedge in it.

9. farna

farna

I see this thread just depends on what make the poster likes mostly!

Rambler was 1950, not 49 (first one... well, the 1950 models DID come out in late 49 though!), but thanks for thinking about it! Rambler (AMC) was also the #3 production make in 1961, so I'll give them then too. And since the 57 fuelie 'vette is the only thing that would out run a 1957 Rambler Rebel at Daytona Speed Week, I'm gonna give Rambler 57 instead of Chevy! I'd give AMC 68 too, with the one-two Javelin/AMX punch. Maybe 1980 with the Eagle 4x4 car, but there wasn't much to say about 1980 models...

10. 1949...Olds and caddy came out with the OHV engine but truth be known, the 49 ford ruled 1949 with it's fresh styling and affordable pricing , even though it had an old 18 year old engine design... sold like hotcakes!

11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

One of my '47 Chiefs is a bobber with milled heads and a Super B carb, and the spark-retard lever and cable came in one of the milk crates, so the dizzy is locked on full advance. She's got pretty good compression, and you'd better have your boots on and be ready with a serious kick, or it'll bite you good :( Three kicks switch off, then switch on and kick it like the neighbor's dog that just pissed on your new Americans :mad:
    I did see a skinny old guy in Branson a few years ago with a stock '46 Chief he had owned forever who could retard the spark and start it with one hand- mine's just got that hot rod schtuff on it- and ya gotta love that huge Accel car coil and the Hitachi open-fan 12V alternator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 1963 - I think Corvette split-window, or the Thunderbird.

1956 - Thunderbird, F-100, Plymouth

1949 - Ford, Studebaker, Mercury

1948 - Chrysler Town & Country, Hudson Stepdown cars

1959 - Cadillac, Chrysler 300

1955 - Chrysler C300, Chevy car and Cameo pickup

1951 - Hudson Hornet, Mercury

1964 - Impala, Barracuda, Mustang

1960 - Chrysler 300

1961 - Chrysler 300

1966 - Dodge Coronet, Chevy Chevelle

1940 - Ford sedan

1937 - Ford sedan, Hudson, Terraplane

13. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Here is my two cents (all I can afford) when I hear 57 it reminds me of 56. The car and year that chevy got its style from. One of the best looking cars built. The 56 Plymouth Fury. As for 55 I vote the Crown Vic handzzz down.

14. 1923,,,, t bucket :cool: