Register now to get rid of these ads!

The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preserving it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Jan 1, 2013.

1. rascal55

rascal55

Great find !!!! Happy ending ( Orville's ride ) !!!!
    Did you ever find out what the Son was ticked about ?????

2. I am wondering the same thing. My hat's off to you young man for showing so much respect to Orville and his wife. Good Luck with your 36, you deserve it.

3. Great story and that is an awesome '36!

4. Better than the lottery!.. Nice story to boot, and good on you to take them for a ride.

That is a great car

5. Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Thank You for the kind words. I appreciate it. I try to treat people how I want to be treated. Karma is a bitch. As far as the younger son goes, I think he was just having a bad month. I never spoke to him since and will try to steer clear.

I bought this car in September and was meaning to type this up back then. I seem to forget the details already.

This is the car in my driveway Sunday night when I got home with it. I did not have time to unload it so it sat on the trailer overnight.

[​IMG]

I work 7-5 every day. I get to work and the phone is ringing. I answer it and it is my buddy & neighbor Dave.
    Where the hell did you get that 36? he says
    Orville I say
    I was trying to buy it a month ago and they would not sell it. How the heck did you get it? says Dave
    I have no idea. I guess they just picked me. It was like a month long interview for a high stress job. I reply
    Well I am glad you got it, I don't know what I would have done with it. Probably sold it. Says Dave.

Dave was there Friday night when I got it running. He said all he wants to do is drive it. I let him drive it 2 weeks later.

This conversation was repeated almost word for word with several local guys that had tried buying the car over the years and were not successful. Orville told me over 40 people offered to buy it. One group thought it was a 5 window and said I paid too much and came over to look at it and said Orville never had a 3 window.

Oh I just remembered something. During the "interview Process" I told Orville I wanted to take the car to the MSRA Back to the 50's in June 2013. I want to cruise the fairgrounds with my family. They like the idea and I think that helped seal the deal. Back to my buddy Dave, He said he had never been to Back to the 50's but it was on his bucket list. I said if he shows up he can cruise with the 36. He will there he said.

6. F-head

F-head

what a great car and story.thank god the kids killed the axle before they killed the whole car
    that interior is just too cool
    B

7. very happy for you! Congrats.

8. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Unreal story man, that is so cool that you will be the new caretaker for this 36. Shows a lot of class and respect that you have befriended the Oldtimer and embraced the car for what it is!

Congrats and good luck!!!

9. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

I really hope I get to see it at the Back to the 50's! This coupe is badass.

10. titus

titus

Im glad the car got into some good hands.

See ya at 50s.

jeff

11. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

In law model A ..I thought about this thread while I was at work today....Such a good story and seeing how happy the old fella looked when you took him cruising .....So Awesome man......

12. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

the cool thing is this is a REAL!!!!! barn find story,,, fellows take note!!!

13. I am one of the guys that runs the Meltdown Drags. We told John Wells we would be at the Iron Invasion in Woodstock IL. October 6th. I decided I would not take my Fiat drag car down there and was just going to work our booth. Well since I had the 36 I planned on taking it after talking to John about it. So I had less than 2 weeks to get it ready to go. So the first week goes by and it now runs. Second week starts and it is time to make it run better. It ran ok but when it got hot it would die. I swapped out the Holley for a freshly rebuilt Stromberg 48. No better. I put on a new fuel pump, nothing. I drained the tank and put in fresh gas and added a fuel filter, nothing. I put in new plugs, nothing. I finally took off the distributer and the condenser was no good. I called Flatjack here on the hamb and had him rebuild a distributer. The plan was to pick it up in Oshkosh Wi on the way down to the Iron Invasion. I washed the car inside and out loaded it up and we headed down Friday Oct 5th. We swapped distributers in the parking lot at Flatjacks and the car ran 100% better.

Here is the interior after I washed it up:

[​IMG]

Here is the engine:

[​IMG]

We stayed overnight in Union Grove and headed out early Saturday in a caravan of trucks pulling trailers. Here we are getting gas predawn:

[​IMG]

We made it to the invasion and had a good time. My wife went along and was not happy with the cold windy weather but she fell in love the with the 36 and it very well working heater :)

Here it is parked at the show:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had fun and I even bought a hubcap for the car. We hung out with friends and had a good time.

heavydumper likes this.
  14. Call me crazy, but the old girl looks happy.

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Love this thread !

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic in every respect. Thanks for taking the time to post this. These are the stories that really keep the HAMB alive. I am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

boy, what a great story to go with a great car, very happy for you, best of luck with it.

19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

They manner in which you treated Orville and his family in this situation is infinitely more important than the fact that you got a 36 Ford 3W. You are a good person and this world needs more people like you! Congratulations on the car! I wouldn't change a thing on it!

20. Retro61

Retro61

Fantastic Story!
    Go Packers!!!

21. camcb

camcb

Great story! I'm subscribed!

22. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Very nice car,and good history to go with it.Looks like your no the right track as far as bringing it back to life.Have you thought about posting on the fordbarn,I think they will like the story and what you are doing with the car.
    Good luck
    Menno

23. Paul B

Paul B

Ed shouldnt" you be working?

24. MBog

MBog

Wow just wow...

25. billsat

billsat

Just think, if things go well and we live long enough most of us on the HAMB will be the old guy standing beside his "old" car and smiling with the new owner. Or better yet, the new owner will be one of my daughters. I hope the bug bites them as hard as its bitten me. Great story, beautiful car. I know you and your family will enjoy it for years to come.

26. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Great sory dude love the car.

27. shoebox50

shoebox50

28. Gawd I love these stories. Nice car, and I think cleaning it up, getting it running good and just 'preserving' it is the best thing to do. Thanks for sharing your story, it made my day.

29. 231ramona

231ramona

Great car, Congratulations! My vote (I assume I get a vote) is to clean her up as much as possible, make her safe and dependable, and drive her as is. That car has Character in spades.

30. 32 steel

32 steel

great story and an even greater car what a find. new friends and a new car priceless