Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post up your pictures of the "Worst Hackjob" you've come across.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by venturesomerite, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 56FRLN

56FRLN

This looks like something from a Dr. Seuss book I used to read to my kids.

2. Where do I start?! First was the hole someone drilled out with a tank cutter for a tacometer in my dash:
    [​IMG]

then there was the 30's bellhouse that would never allow the room for a 50's block so someone tried to grind the block down a little, found it didnt work and then just temporarily wedged a starter into the flyweheel to start the car:

[​IMG]

a chopped up Dodge gearbox to a Chrysler bellhouse all left open:
    [​IMG]

and some concrete used as filler:
    [​IMG]

But then, this is what all the fun is about! The journey to resurrection of old tin!

3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Expanding foam for a bondo backer? What a great idea, sure wish I had thought of it!

I know that back in the day I did some things that I'm not so proud of but the stuff displayed in this thread makes me look like some kind of expert.

4. jazz1

jazz1

What I thought was a lump of mud on the frame of my truck was a pile of bolts welded together to form a engine mount,,,damn sturdy but not too pretty.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

love the expanding foam for bodywork. I went by a guys shop a while back and he is working on a 56 Chevy wagon. there are several parts of the car sanded to metal with obvious damage in need of repair. right below the raingutter above the side windows is ground down rust holes with spray foam inside.

after I'm done commenting on the hack work the last guy did on it he tells me that is his repair, and all it needs is some bodo to cover it. he was charging the owner money to do it.

everybody knows that you need old socks in those rust holes, not spray foam.

6. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Spray foam? That's not traditional! Aluminum pie plates and window screen must be used for authentic period correct repairs!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry to be giggling at your misfortune, but those pictures remind me of my '59 El Camino that had some of the same treatment... Plus, artfully sculptured floorpans made of roofing tar! I kid you not, someone actually laid on their back and sculpted ribs on the underside of the floor pans...

8. Somebody did that to my 56 vicky... with bondo and that aluminum bodo.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The worst "hack" welds I ever came across were the factory welds on the torque boxes in my Coronet convertible. A blind guy could have done better welds... :D

10. msalamanca

msalamanca

Wood filler

Attached Files:

11. rittmeister

rittmeister
    from texas

Laugh all you want, but there's a wooden filler block between the dash and parking brake handle bracket on my 61 Stude Hawk. What's really fun, is that it's factory..looked it up in the parts catalog, and there it was, even drawn with lines representing the grain....:D

12. Andy

Andy

Sorry I don't have a pic of a radio installation. It was a brand new F 150 pick up. He had chopped out a hole in the dash with an ax or chizel or something. It was ragged as hell. He put the radio in from the front. He had no clue about putting in in from the back. The radio was held in place with pipe hanger strap. The truck was maybe a week old.

13. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

I would classify this as the worst "HackJob" Chop I have ever seen.

Should be resurrected soon by good ole...Pat Pryor!!!

[​IMG]

14. Andy

Andy

I think you are remembering a post I did. My 3W was exactly like that when I got it. It had one of the deep dish Olds steering wheel from maybe 1960. It was white but the center was all covered in carbon. The pipes were individuals that ran all the way to the end of the car. I had tail pipe stock forever.

15. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

16. dillinger trucking

dillinger trucking
    from minnesota

the 1940 ford crewcab coe with 65 buick skylark front clip bolted on
    can not find the photo but it has been on here before

17. Carbon is not the worst part of that. You can see carbon. You can't see carbon monoxide. That was a rolling gas chamber. A miracle nobody died in it.

18. Andy

Andy

It was a nightmare all over. It had a 55 Chevy rear attached to the original spring. They had welded 3" channel to the spring pads for trailing arms. They were attached to the frame with some strap and a single 3/8 bolt. The bolts had snapped so the only thing holding the rear was the spring.
    The car was actually being run as a street racer.

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds right. That was absolutely the worst I've seen. Do you still have any of those pics around?

20. nailhead55

nailhead55

and i get pulled over for my 1955 plate! on my car! what a bunch of dickheads who build these things,just want to kick them in the balls!

21. terrag

terrag

I'll play... wheel I came across off a trailer. bolt patterns didn't match up. hehe....yes those are spikes..

Attached Files:

22. Well i've seen way worse, but this is kinda gnarly!

Attached Files:

23. Dudford- That tach/dash job is a real classy piece. Made my day to see that kind of craftsmanship.
    Terrag- uh, wtf are the spikes about on that wheel?

Also, love the cat yellow plate steel and concrete rocker fix. More crapsmanship

24. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Fuzzy memory from the late '70s - there was a classic car dealer in my hometown of Glenview, IL who had a '57 Olds four-door hardtop in the lot. Had a fresh black paint job and looked OK from a distance. Took a closer look and noticed that the dogleg below the passenger-side rear door had been Bondoed to the point it filled the gap and went right into the door; it had been sanded down and painted that way, then somebody opened it and "broke the seal"!

25. dublaaron

dublaaron
    from michgan

Wow!!

26. Muttley

Muttley

I posted these quite a while ago on this thread but they were deleted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! You bought a pie warmer...............Cool!!:eek::eek:

Doc.

28. OK, we have a winner... That is shoddy, just straight up criminal!

29. jazz1

jazz1

A body man told me he used steel wool to fill holes and then bondo over top. The steel wool rusts and disappears very quickly leaving no tell tale signs unlike foam.

30. At least, on a cold day, you could warm your hands on the steering column.