Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden CD player in plain sight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Cargo

Cargo

Cool idea, and I thought I was gettin creative when I hid my ex wife in the ash tray!

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

3. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

well im on the look out for an 8track player!

4. That's an awesome idea.

5. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Nah ... Tom Jones ... Slim's too cool!

Barry

6. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

8. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

That's pretty damn cool! I remember back in my sound-off days seeing a guy do that with a factory Delco tape player, only it just came off, for a stealth system...yours is way cooler!

9. I built another one for my '48 F1 last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crappy picture but same idea.

[​IMG]

Amp, sub and speakers under the seat, two more 5" round speakers in the kick panels and tweeters hidden behind the sunvisors.

10. yruhot

yruhot

8-tracks you got to love'em. Where else can you listen to like 3 or 4 songs at a time. And always carry a book of matches to align the tape to the head so you only had to listen 1 or 2 songs.lol. Ahhhhhhhh Black Saboth for hours on end. Come to think about it it was hard to tell if it was 1 or 4 songs playing at once on that tape.lol YRUHOT.......Doug

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I am going to do this in my 55 Ford,I did pick up a extra dash to modify for a modern radio but will be alot of work. I was looking at tissue dispensers but there is really not too much to them and I like the idea of hiding one in a non working 8 track,I wish I would have looked at this thread before I went to the car show today as there were probably a few in the swapmeet but I have two more to attend this year so I hope I find one.

12. Now you can get a car stereo for under $100 with a USB port and just put a big thumb drive in it and have thousands of songs at a touch. Almost don't even need the radio. I'd hide one of those in the 8-track if I was doing one.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

USB port and aux input and you are in buisness,I have a portable sirius unit and a MP3 player and its great for road trips. I was checking ebay for a old 8 track but for some reason some sellers think they are gold so I will stick with swapmeets and flea markets,I found a new under dash 8 track in the closet but its too small to hide a radio.

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Today I picked up a 8 track big enough to hid a stereo and a tissue dispenser that the front flips down so its time to get to work.

16. be sure to post your progress

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to take the 8 track into work and if the electronic installers are not doing anything I will let them gut it.

18. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well, I have to say it looks like you hid something ugly and out of place behind something that is even less appealing and more out of place. Brilliant would be a few steps above that.

19. Cool, I like that!

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have the 8 track modified and in the car,was going to buy another stereo since mine did not have a USB port but came up with a USB adapter and a Sirius reciever for my brand of stereo. Should have it working tomorrow and going to get it wired up for a amp when I get one.

21. sounds good.... pun intended

22. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

Here's something I rigged up a few years ago. I called it an I-track. It works the same as those crappy cassette to 8 track adapters, but it has a built in ipod as oppose to a tape mechanism. This way the 8 track player doesn't have to be modified in any way and can still play your old tapes if you desire. It will even work if the player has a broken belt. I've made several, a few with ipods built in and some with just a female headphone jack so you can hook any mp3 or portable cd player to it.
    Sorry no pics, but I have some videos.

Here's the first finished one I made. Don't criticize me on my musical choice (Rob zombie, not ozzy, lol) as this is an older video from my Sophomore year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kxRMJA69w

This is one of my more recent ones that somebody on youtube commissioned me to make for use in his 73 roadrunner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URAU__LsH0

If anybody's interested I could post up a how-to on making one of these, but I will make my own thread.

23. That CD player looks as old as the 8 track player!

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seriously. I can't even recall the last time I bought a CD. Been at least 7-8 years. Got rid of almost all the ones I did have and don't listen to the ones I do still have, at home or anywhere else.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will post some pics tonight.

26. Ha,
    We collect old 8 track tapes. the wife finds them at garage sales all the time cheap. Last ones she bought was a tape holder (vinyl covered) full of old country stuff, for $1.50. It would be cool to snag a couple of old tapes and throw them on your seat or dash just for effect. ;)

Anyway cool idea. :cool:

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have some bad tapes that I can stick in the slot to make it look like it works,I also wires up the track lights to show its on.

28. tunes

tunes

I would be interested in an "how to thread".

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't forget to pull out all of the tape for one or 2 and have it laying in the floor for the ultimate reality. I seem to remember as a kid that is about how most all of them ended up at one point or another. Those 8 tracks seemed to be some serious tape chewing monsters.

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

You can use 4-track, 8-track, tissue dispenser, 45rpm record player almost any old unit that mounts under the dash to hide a modern stereo. :D

CRUISER :cool: