Register now to get rid of these ads!

what engine is this? heading to scrap yard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Jan 2, 2013.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

and is there anything on it worth more than scrap?

Attached Files:

2. trvguy

trvguy

looks like a 332cu in ford truck engine. might be worth something to someone rebuilding an old truck.

3. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Looks to be Ford big block. Looks like the 'FE'.
    Save that aluminum tranmission adapter. Probably worth a $100 or so.

4. Its a Ford FE or Ft. I would keep the adjustable rockers.

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

Looks like a truck FE motor. Not much.

6. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"I would keep the adjustable rockers". Oh yeah, I missed those.
    If that Intake's aluminum, pull it off too.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I think good FE exhaust manifolds have some decent resale value as well, along with the other parts mentioned. So I'd say you can leave the motor go to scrap but you'd do pretty well to grab the good parts off of it first, easily $300+ worth of easily unbolt-able parts left on there.

8. waterhorse

waterhorse

Please dont scrap the fenders, grill, lights and inner fenders they look like Dodge military or civilian Powerwagon.
    I restored a 1942 Dodge weapons carrier and those parts are worth something to a Dodge guy. Assuming they are Dodge.
    FYI, if it has a curved 'catchers mask' grill it would be 1/2 ton military Dodge.
    If it has a flat grill it's a 3/4 ton military Dodge or 1 ton civilian Powerwagon.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

It is a '42 Dodge 1/2 ton. The fenders are beat and the grille is cut in half for a winch. I saved the cab, axles, and combat rims, for my '41.

10. Im guessing that engine might be something more than a 332 truck engine. The 58 332 had solid lifters and adjustable rockers. however they where all 2bbl engines. That might be a 300 or 350 hp 352 interceptor or a HP 390 or a 406? someone has adapted the 53 and earlier truck granny 4 speed trans to it that same adapter will put any FE to any flathead trans. keep the flywheel its likely a 11 inch clutch. also if that granny trans has the mini bell its sought after. I would tear it down and check the casting numbers & date codes , Its been 50 years since the FE,s had solid lifters & adjustable rockers with that style Rounded valve cover. The F 500 & F 600 trucks never had FE,s until 65. before then they where Y blocks. All the 65 with FE,s had the newer type valve covers. I wouldnt be in a hurry to scrap it. OldWolf

11. Ok I looked at the picture,s some more. That engine is a 64 or older. the intake has the oil fill tube. 65 up had holes in the valve covers for oil fill and PCV. and the starter is the long shaft old style. Also its a car engine. It has car exhaust manifolds. Truck engines had a extra exhaust port right in the middle of the heads. OldWolf

12. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Old wolf, where would I find the casting #'s and date codes? It is pretty crusty, and the pan and sperkplugs are long gone. Rusted solid. And what is a mini bell?

13. On the intake and side of the block and near the spark plugs on the heads. A mini bell bolts to the front of the granny four speed with 6 bolts. it will be between the trans & that aluminum adapter, im guessing that adapter is a offenhauser item. OldWolf

14. Don't keep them rockers...send them my way, I have an fe in my 67 ford:D

15. The bell hsg and adaptor look more like SAE#2 to me. worth saving if anybody wants to adapt a FE to a medium truck transmission.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Definately worth something to someone working on a FE so dont scrap,the valve cover looks to be 58 or 59 and if its a car motor those are the exhaust manifolds to use with a FE in a 55 or 56 Ford car.

17. Babyearl

Babyearl

Now this is why I love the HAMB,,, Where else could you get this much info on a FE and a Military Dodge in 2 hours and 18 minutes?

18. stinger40

stinger40

whats that cable laying on top of the engine? If it comes from the distributor its a tach drive distributor and worth a few bucks

19. metal man

metal man

There is so much stuff on that chassis that guys like us keep around and eventually use.... I would keep the pedal assembly, parking brake. steering box and pitman arm, headlights, shock mounts, etc. Strip that thing clean if you scrap it!

20. Yup, that;s what it is. Good eye.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it for sure an FE engine? It's really big...almost looks like a 430 MEL engine to me...I might be wrong. If it is a 430, the fact that it bolts to the FE adapter would make the engine a '58/'59/'60.

22. Dan in Canada

Dan in Canada

I second this comment. The answer is "nowhere else".

23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Looks like an early 332-352 car engine at first, has the early valve covers that are similar but not the same as the 427 "baldies", and the adjustable rockers which are worth a few bucks. And the early 332 and 352 car engines both came in 2V and 4V configurations. Also has the early breather out the back of the intake and oil fill tube. The tach-drive dizzy is a little strange, though, as an FT dizzy has a larger shaft and corresponding larger hole in the block.
    I'm thinking it's probably a 361 Edsel engine, but even then a little strange, as the Edsel tach-drive dizzy is supposed to be '58-only , but with E400 covers, with the baldie type covers in '59-'60
    The FT series started in '64 trucks. A 332 truck engine was not an FE/FT type, it was a variant of the Lincoln Y-block- I had a '63 F750 with a 332 and Allison auto. That 332 was a 4V, solid lifters, steel crank, and a two-gear reverse-rotation cam drive- there was also a 302 truck engine of the same "Lincoln-Y" family. The 330 was an FT type, with the iron-crank 330MD and the steel-crank 330HD

24. Deuces

Deuces

I'd save the whole motor....
    Strip everything down to a bare block and see what else could be saved...
    If it does have a steel crank, it could be worth a few bucks...;)

25. Scumdog

Scumdog

Hmm, MEL has fuel-pump up top-front of the block on front of the distributor, I can't see signs of a pump but maybe it has been removed?

Can the O.P. comment or show a pic of the front?

26. Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Deluxe
    from England

It's definitely an FE, not an MEL.

27. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

It's worth keeping just for the adjustable rocker arms. Alot more good stuff there too. Post some numbers if you can & well know more about it.

28. ems customer service

ems customer service

the trans adapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look at it

29. The Mel and 332 &302 truck engines had a raised air gap intake like a Y block. I have a 430 mel and the dist & fuel pump are right next to one another at the front. The valve cover on the engine pictured has the embossed FORD letters. some 60 thru 64 engines had THUNDERBIRD embossed valvecovers .Its a FE. A 330 truck engine is a Fe. 330,361& 391 are truck varients of FE,s different crank ,heads ,intake & exhaust manifolds. OldWolf

30. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Truck FE’s are ….. 331 361 391.…….. Probably some other strange #’s
    These motors have small valves and ports.
    These motors have governors not tack drives.