Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Uncertain T"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, May 24, 2005.

1. Spork!

Spork!

Never mind

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Would just like to say there's alot of good points made here from BOTH sides.

Just want to know if I was wrong over the years to stand in line at numerous shows to meet folks like Ed Roth,Gene Winfield,Chuck Miller etc. and buy some of their swag from their "money making ventures"!? I still enjoy the stuff I bought from them to this day. And I'm pretty sure Ed disappeared from the scene more than once over the years because of personal issues.I'm just sayin...

3. Ive spent alota time talking to Steve on the phone and I do believe he has the hobby both full scale and models in its best intrest and does not want to see this drug into the mud,I really believe once the smoke clears and things fall into place many (including you Chaz) would really have alot to talk about.Steve is a very intresting man and yeah we all would love to see the UT back on the show scene I havent even asked him about it because to be honest we had so much else to talk about,Im sure things will come forward with the UT.........Please give the guy some credit he's not here just to sell stuff I know that for a fact,however if he sells thrui the right place on here (he's now aware about it) and this inturn helps him and or helps bring the UT to the surface then so be it,I still think it would be cool as hell to have him selling top line shirts,hats, posters etc. and why not I would if I had that kinda talent.........................Thanks for readin this guys and happy 2013--Meatball

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

A couple cool shots in Rodders Journals 39&52.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

YEP. got those picture hanging on the shop wall....I think they are very cool...

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know... opinions are like assholes... But, I just don't get the hoopla around this car. To me, hot rods are about proportions and going fast.

I never was much of a 60's show rod guy. Style over substance and all of that...

Just expressing an opinion here - doesn't mean I think you guys are nuts for loving this car.

7. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm with Ryan on this one.I'm 57 yrs. old so I remember this car/model when it was built.I never thought it was all that back then...I don't think it's all that now.I didn't even buy it when there were 10 of them on the shelves at the hobby shop.
    As far as all the stories,who cares.Is it there,who cares.If it is there & the present owner doesn't want to show it, ok...who cares.I think this has been blown waayyy out of proportion.
    I had subscribed to this thread but enough already,I just deleted it.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its a matter of time and place, Ryan. If you were'nt a 15 or 16 year old in the early 60's, show cars make no sense at all. It was the beginning of the end of the classic little neighborhood where mom stayed home and dad worked, There was no energy shortage, global warming and all the stuff that looms today. There were no hippies- maybe a Beatnik or two. The system was pretty rigid. Everyone was in lock step. Boring.
    As a kid in Jr High, Butte, Montana you'd walk to the neighborhood Drug store for a Coke and pick up an issue of "Hot Rod".
    SHIT! It was like these show rods dropped out of the sky. "How cool would you be driving down the street in That?!!!!! In that very instant it was burned into your sub-conscience. You will never forget.
    We didnt know that you couldnt even fit in many of those cars . or that the engines were hollow. It flat didnt matter.
    For someone of your age it must have been like seeing Tony Hawk skateboard for the first time.
    In a few years drugs came on hard and the Vietnam war hung over us like a pall.
    The party was over.
    But I still cant scrub those damn show cars from my mind.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Dogpatchcustoms likes this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The UT was at an auto show in Minneapolis in 1971. I'll see if I can dig up my pictures.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Chaz is exactly right! Think Big Daddy Roth and all his creations and t-shirts.

11. I'm 35, and I still think the car is rad as hell. I really enjoyed the story behind it, and I love the fact that it's still supposedly around. It'd be awesome to see a pic of how it sits right now, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The UT to me was one of those icons it gave you inspiration to think of the posibilitys building a Hot Rod could bring. Show rods like the UT and many of Ed Roths creations added greatly to me lifelong interest {well over 50 years now} in all things Hot Rod.
    Little did I know at the time seeing such cars as a kid would give me the inspiration to build my Hot Rods from old Ford parts drive cross country in my Hot Rod then continue this sickness building a Land Speed Race car and then setting records along the way.
    An added bonus has been meeting like minded individuals during my many builds and travels which IM happy to report continue. Living the life is what its about even if you only can dream at the monent.

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Yup, after digesting all of this I think it's time to produce some current photo's of the car. This should be doable (and reasonable), or have we finally reached critical mass?

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Steve built the Uncertain T that blew away the hot rod world back then. He contributed greatly to our hobby. To say he should show it to us or that he owes us anything is rediculous. Its his creation after all. We are recipients to have gotten to enjoy it and we did nothing to earn that privilage.Where people get the idea that others owe them anything just floors me. Leave the guy alone before he dissapears again. I can only wonder if this is what happened to him the first time.

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree about the hot rods but, as you point out, this is not a hot rod it's a show rod, and they are all over the map as far as styling. I think some show rods are fantastic (the UT being one) and some are horrid. Some of the Tom Daniels fantasy show rods (like Rommel's Rod) really appeal to me as well. But, if I had to guess, I'd say 75% of them make me want to avert my eyes.

16. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Exactly as Chaz and Ronnie explained.:cool:

If it has to be explained...it won't be understood!

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I've been following this thread off and on for a while whenever it comes up. Which is often lately. What I like about the U.C.T is not the body so much but the quality and innovation of the chassis and running gear. Pretty much par for the day with a lot of innovation thrown in. If he would have put just a regular fiberglass T body on it, it would still have been a great show car but he went a step or two more and built the "out there" custom body not unlike "Leg Show". I don't know which came first but that is what needed to be done to compete on the show circuit at the time. It would be nice to see a recent photo of it but we have no control of that and I have now problem in this economy with anybody trying to cash in on their former fame.

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Show rods appeal to artists and people who lean toward the artistic side of cars as much or more than the functional side.I have seen this all my life.Drag racers sometimes have the ugliest cars imaginable because some of them are almost totaly functionaly minded while the others see the value in making their cars look as good as they run.People who enjoy art like things that take them from the norm sometimes to the extent of abstract as in what if it didnt have to make physical sense or look like everything else to do the job.There are trillions of differences in every human beeing,hense the different oppinions of what is cool,necessary,etc. I feel I am somewhere in the middle and gave up trying to make either side to the extreme understand the other.

19. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

Now we know where its at, and what it looks like. hahaha

yeah i was bored today.

george

Attached Files:

RICH B likes this.
  20. abone1930

abone1930

I'd buy a pick of the uncertain t the way it sits, there's nothing more thrilling to me then see an old hot rod or custom as its found, Nothing like the thrill of the hunt :). Steve contact your buddy and ask him to take a pick. Get on here and say hello, he owns one of the most coolest old rods around , you built it but he owns it . I want to see :) please :)

21. abone1930

abone1930

Too cool, very talented , I bet Steve still whishes it was sitting by his hut ?
    I whish I could have kept all the cars I built :)

22. I love the car. All this B.S. and suspense kinda makes me not give a shit though.

Someone clone the damn thing and lets call it done! Shouldn't take long or cost too much.

23. @dogpatch customs - cool illustration ... but the "Uncertain T" isn't sitting next to Steve's hut on the Big Island of Hawaii ... it's supposedly in storage at a Northern California vineyard / winery.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  24. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The problem I find is that anytime someone asks Steve either here or on the Facebook page where the car is, his stock answer is that he explained it at the beginning of his Facebook page and go there to find out. I have looked several times for the original post on it and cant find what he said. Yeah count me in on one who would like to see a current pic.

25. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

yep i know, talk to him awhile back and we joked about all this drama. so i only wanted to give my little twist on it.

it doesnt matter to me who owns it now or what it looks like. i remember the first time i saw it in print, like it was yesterday.
    and just as others described earlier the impact it had on me, got me into this great hobby!

george

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Hit it on the head right there !

27. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

Happy Birthday Steve! hope you have a great one!

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

He posted this on Facebook last night:

Malcolm

29. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks for posting that Malcolm...
    Might cut down on the repetitive questions...still funny how fast people turn. Sometimes siding with, than against..

30. Today is steve scotts birthday.i started. A happy b day threadjust so he could enjoy the good. Here;-)