Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

As some of you Thunderbolt fans know, I am a techman for NHRA. When ever I see pictures of the Gas Ronda Thunderbolt, I remember the '70s and 80's when the car raced in the midwest. Harold Stout raced the car a few times at tracks in Kentucky where I worked. At the time I did not know the car was the former Gas Ronda Thunderbolt. I learned that fact after I made my first trip to tech at Pomona.

Although I had already traveled with NHRA for several years, my first trip to the west coast did not come until 1985. After the Pomona event, I spent several days at the NHRA Tech Department in Glendora. While searching through the NHRA tech files, I found good information on the '64 Thunderbolts. Information that I would find useful as a techman.

The next time I saw the Thunderbolt was at the first Dallas National event in 1986 at the Texas Motorplex. By then the car was owned by Willie and Lyle Smith. Since we had a full crew of techmen and plenty time, we were instructed to inspect each car thoroughly. When I saw the Thunderbolt come through my tech line I was excited to put to use my new found information. The first thing I did was look at the serial number. You can just imagine my shock when I discovered that this was the Gas Ronda Thunderbolt.

As I proceded to inspect the car I soon discovered that it had led a rough life as a racecar. Even though I had seen the car before, I never had time to closely inspect it's every aspect. Close scrutiny of the rollcage in the A-post area revealed some questionable welding. Through negotiations between the owner and my superiors the car was allowed to run the event. Since it was late in the 1986 racing season, the understanding was that the car would not be allowed to compete at another NHRA event until the rollcage was redone.

My understanding is that this was the last time the car was seriously raced. Maybe I had apart in preserving a piece of Thunderbolt racing history.

2. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Does anybody have a photo of the one that was raced out of Ferndale, Maryland? I remember in the late 1970's going over to hear it start up at a friends house. It changed hands several times and was last seen in the Glen Burnie, Maryland area in the early 1980s.

3. I'm not sure which car you refer to, possibly the car that was known as the "Blackjack" car after 1964?

Contrary to the recent Muscle Machines magazine article, there were three new Thunderbolts based in Maryland in 1964.

1. Archway Ford, Alan A. & Don Martin, Baltimore
    2. King Ford, Bud Shellenberger, Essex
    3. Hill & Sanders Ford, Matt Fenton, Wheaton

Do you remember any details about the Ferndale car ? Possibly a name on the car ?

4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here is a list of Thunderbolts that have not had a photo shown as of yet on this thread.

Jim Sanders Ford, Houston TX

Luther Ford Sales, Homer City PA

Winkler Motor Co, Boone NC

Hippodrome Ford, Nashville TN

Paradise Ford, Scottsdale AZ

Wake Forest Motors, Wake Forest NC

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

How about any old Ford file photo's about the project, like cloverleaf hoods, construction, etc. Tom S.

6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I thought I would share a little story for the T-Bolt lovers. Last night Darrel Droke called me. I'm sure most of you know who he is. We talked about a few things and I mentioned I had seen a poster on the Internet showing him recing Bobby Woods I tyhink in Biloxi Miss. in 1966. He started talking about some of those southern tracks and remembered a reace he ran against Arnie " The Farmer " Bestwick. He said the track only had a street light hanging down form a wire. So he looks at the set up and realizes that the wire comes down goes over to a guy with the switch. It wasn't long till he figured that rather then look at the light he just looked at the guy with the switch. He treed Arnie every time. Of course he never let on and everybody just thought he was just a great starter !

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

Not sure if this one has been posted before ...
    Joel

Attached Files:

8. Race Artist

Race Artist

Not sure if this one has been posted before either ...
    Joel

Attached Files:

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Nice additions. Has the "Twister" car been posted already? I don't remember it?

10. Algon

Algon

This may warrant a separate thread but I'm looking for any more shots of the Zimmy 1 car other than those already posted as well as any other similar 63s such as the Doug Nash car.

Thanks, Dan

11. The new "Elapsed Times" has an article about "the first T-bolt", '62 Fairlanes with 406's including both the Tasca car and a car built by Art Carr and Bill VonVilet from the west coast. Never have seen the Art Carr car before. I haven't read the article yet but it looks interesting.

12. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Has it ever been established which dealership the Virginia Twister Thunderbolt originally came through?

13. I talked to Kenny Warren about his T-bolt awhile back. It has "Sandra" painted on the hood. His wife was there while we were talking, she said "yeah that's me".... They hadn't been married yet in '64 and were still dating.

This has always been one of my favorite T-bolts.

14. I believe Kenny Warren told me Mooresville Ford in NC. but I could be wrong.

15. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks Jody,
    Is the feature any good ... anything new? I'm a little tired of buying magazines for features on stuff that are just a fluffy rehash of a lot of general information. I went looking for the ET magazine today but couldn't find it.
    Joel

16. It's not as detailed as you or I would like but not bad. There are some decent shots from the Petersen Archives. The shop where I got mine usually gets them a little earlier than anyone else. Check later this week and it should be out.

Are you going to Carl's in a couple of weeks?

17. Race Artist

Race Artist

Anyone ID the T-Bolt in the other lane against Dyno's wagon? Early '64 LIONS Drag strip, CA.
    Joel

Attached Files:

18. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Not much to go on Joel. Is it possible that this might be the Bill Rhodes-Regent Cafe car? Might actually be a pic of the car when it had "Bill Rhodes" lettering on the car. I wasn't aware that it ever did but one never knows. It was a mid-Dec63 delivery car so the car would have been racing by the time of the pic. Any more particulars on the car? Also, where did the pic come from?

Len

19. spiertb

spiertb

I have to agree with Len; it looks like the beginning of--"The Re--gent cafe?? on the door. That car was also entered at the 64 Winternationals, and thats the only Ford Dealers name that comes close to the lettering on the quarter!! Maybe? Syl

20. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Anybody have a clue on this T-bolt?

[​IMG]

Mike

21. A bigger photo would help.

22. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Cuthert Motors owned and driven by Emmett Austin.

While I am on here the picture posted by Race Artist is the Bill Rhodes Ford Thunderbolt. Look at the C pillar, it has Jack Bayer on it. The car was yellow when it was in CA during the 64 Wnats, changed to red shortly after getting back home.

Regards,
    Dennis

23. gasbag

gasbag

Have some photos from '64 Winternationals/Pomona
    with Gas Ronda/Bob Ford (Dearborn)/Les Richey - go to
    quartermileclassics.wordpress.com

24. 64-TBOLT

64-TBOLT

anyone have a list of the dealers that recived the 64 T-Bolts?? and maybe the number. like car #35 was pulliman motors

25. spiertb

spiertb

Were any T-Bolts auctioned at Barret Jackson or elsewhere this month? Syl

26. ford_george

ford_george

I bought one in the 70's in Selma Al. that was blue with a blue top. Fixed it, raced it and sold it to a fireman in Huston Tx. It now resides up north, maybe in Mass.:(:(:(

t

27. ford_george

ford_george

I bought one in the 70's in Selma Al. that was blue with a gold top. Fixed it, raced it and sold it to a fireman in Huston Tx. It now resides up north, maybe in Mass.:(:(:(

t

28. ford_george

ford_george

That is correct. I bought Pat Gray's tbolt and the Country Boy. I took the fiberglass door off the Whuppet and put them on the Country Boy. I fixed the car, raced it then sold it to a fireman in Houston.:(:(:(

29. Ray Gross

Ray Gross

Im not sure if this is what your looking for or not,But here it is anyway..Picture was taken in 1965 at the Edge Water Park Raceway in Cleves,Ohio.

Attached Files: