Register now to get rid of these ads!

low cost radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

What people fail to consider is 5000 has 7 fins/inch for dusty conditions while automotive is 14 or more fins/inch

2. Bluedot

Bluedot

x2 on Champion. I bought one for my project, appears pretty well made, tho as anothetr commented, fins seem fragile. Engine has not yet been started, so I cannot vouch for cooling, leaks, etc.
    I have a brand new in the box Mustang V8 65-66 radiator from Rock Auto - decided not to use it because of fit in shell on my open engine car. Paid ~$160, I'd sell it for $100 + ship. If interested, PM me. I can send pix, specs, dimensions.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My car runs a/c and I live in an area where the freeways become parking lots so I didn't scrimp on a radiator. I use U.S. Radiators triple pass, direct-fit, copper/brass and couldn't be happier.

4. Fenders

Fenders

I also use an early Mustang radiator -- it's in the coupe in my avatar -- bought it at a flea mkt for $20.

5. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

I am lucky enough to have a friend that owns a rad shop that his grandfather started back in the late 20's. I got a NOS rad for my 51 for $250.

6. Scumdog

Scumdog

Kinda what I'll do with my '37, why risk loosing a good motor from overheating due to a suspect radiator you got cheap?

Or have to pull over and stop in traffic because the capacity is not up to keeping things cool?

And do alloy ones last as long as copper ones? - I suspect not.

My '55 F100 radiator is still original, been overhauled twice in its life and cools the 429 no problems.

7. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

66 Mustang.. had one in front of a chevy 350 daily driver, never a problem and it was under $100.

8. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Try the local farm tractor wreckers. Lots of narrow rads that will cool most rods. Have been using a $50 tractor rad in my 8ba powered roadster for 14 years.

9. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

griffin has a line of universal rads listed in the rat rod section.
    I got mine for a modified 36 dodge grille shell for $275.. NEW & USA

http://www.griffinrad.com//RatRods/

10. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

We have 2 radiators built by Superior , 32 Ford & 34 Ford. Both work great.

11. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Customer bought one of the champions off ebay for 160. So far so good. But it looks odd. I prefer to spend a little more and make it look more traditonal. But for a budget radiator, it was fully welded and quality seems fine For my coupe I bought a US Radiator. Great guys to deal with. I recommend them. Alex makes the whole process easy

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used a "Be Cool" aluminum radiator in my '65 Biscayne with a 500 hp 454, A/C factory clutch fan. It worked OK until I hit traffic. In hindsight, I should have bought the triple-pass. I will never scrimp on a radiator again.

13. 59 brook

59 brook

had a becool in my wagon for years and a few yrs ago it developed a small leak and i finally had to replace it . a new becool was $800 the champion with dual 12" fans, new shroud and new rad was $360 delivered to my door. hard to beat it . it does have the exposed seams as compared to the be cool but it fit better than the be cool. just my .o2. ran the car this weekend and i was amazed at how little the electric fan was needed. granted i am in so fla so it was in the mid 70's but we went for breakfast was a 10 min drive with a few highway miles then stopped and eat. then we went for about a 30 mile ride on the highway . it wasn't till we were off the highway and a few miles on the street before i had to turn the fans on. i was impressed

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  14. lawman

lawman

$140.00 at Advance auto or Auto zone. We used one in a 34 chevy grill
    shell and it worked great.

15. Piper106

Piper106

Any idea what year Volvo that radiator is out of??
    Looks like it might be a good mate for a smaller engine.

16. I have bought three radiators from Alex..I highly reccommend US Radiator.
    You guys amaze me here at being so damn cheap..Do you also look for the cheapest damn beer you drink??,,,sacrifice some beer and buy a quality parts for your cars

17. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

I run a Speedway radiator in my 39 pickup. I cost 109 bucks runs cool and did'nt brake the bank. A stock looking radiator to fit was going to cost 900 bucks, would love to have it but the cheap one works great.

18. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I looked for months before dropping my money on a radiator for my '28 Model A with a Flathead V8.

After looking at the cheap ebay alumnium ones (about $270.00 shipped for the lowest price) and then the other end at $700.00 plus as Don said for a Walker I settled on one from Superior Radiator in Mount Clemens, MI. http://wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

Charlie hooked me up with a nice one, $390.00 shipped to the door and ready to go. He was great to deal with and right on time with delivery. Made in the USA and a warranty to boot.

This has been the single largest outlay for a part since I started the build other than the car and '40 mercury chassis that donated the drivetrain so I understand the cost factor.

Good luck and hope the .02 cents was worth it.

Cliff Ramsdell

Attached Files:

19. Beau

Beau

I'm not exactly sure. The later model and most replacements are aluminum with plastic end caps. I put a want ad out for on on CL and sure enough I scored one for cheap. There are lots of Volvo 240's out there. The guy I got mine from said it was possibly out of the 240 turbo. Check ebay, there were a couple on there for cheap.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

34 passenger car or truck?? Big difference.

If it's a passenger car, the radiator is an integral part of the front sheetmetal which properly mounts the grille and locates the hood sections, etc. and usually translates into big bucks for an excellent fitting and cooling radiator-that looks "right".

If it's a 34 truck, you can get away with "hiding" a Mustang/tractor/forklift, etc box style radiator behind the shell like is common practice on Model t's and model A's, etc. as pictured in post #23.

21. Beau

Beau

I should add that the Volvo radiator was originally mounted horizontally. It also does not have a spot for a radiator cap. Factory, it had an expansion tank/overflow tank. I figure I have two options. First, run an inline radiator filler (has a cap built in) with an overflow bottle. Second, make an overflow tank with a filler to fill the void above the radiator.

I'm not saying this radiator will work at all. I just found a core that is a good size.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've never owned an aftermarket radiator. I have always used a factory radiator in all my cars. 32s,34s,36s etc. I looked for a 56 radiator but I got scared away by the prices. I have a personal thing against an aluminum radiator. Just me. I almost bought a new aluminum one for my 56. 400 bucks not too bad. I could paint it black but it still had the look of an aluminum radiator. Finally a 292 radiator showed up on the 'bay for less than 150. I don't remember the exact price but it works perfectly and it's cheap. I think some guys think an aluminum radiator is a status symbol. Not to me...:D

23. diamond dave

diamond dave

bought a few from summit racing. theyre usually under $150 and keep the car cool. speedway probly sells comparable ones. never had a problem with one.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure if it will cool your car, as every engine seems to be different. But I got a Griffin radiator from Summit for under $200 that cools the 327 in my Austin just fine, and even with a pusher fan. I didn't have room for a puller.
    My radiator is a welded aluminum with 2 one inch rows and measures 16" wide by 17" tall, and 2.5" thick. Almost any older car will accept that size radiator.
    KMJ Performance also has some great prices on good welded tank aluminum radiators. I've bought numerous items from KMJ, and had good results with them.
    http://www.kmjent.com/cart/radiators-caps/

25. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

I use to have a catalog for a guy in missouri that made street rod and classic car radiators but cant find it any where anyone have an idea what I'm talking about?? I got the catalog from the stret rod nationals 2 years ago in springfield missouri