Register now to get rid of these ads!

low cost radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tobyflh, Dec 30, 2012.

1. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

what do people do for low cost radiators? I know I'm not the only cheap ass here but what do people do? I'm looking for one to go behind a 34 ford grill shell with a v8. Everything I see is 500 and up is there any hope to save a couple bucks?

2. Junkyard.find something close to the size you want and make it fit.a lot of use scrounge for used parts and adapt it

3. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Find something close in the junkyard (or your neighbor's car) then order a new one for that model from 1-800-Radiator or NAPA, etc. Lots of late model stuff that you can find in the $100-200 range. I needed to do this with a slightly O/T pickup and found that a 70's Jeep radiator worked with almost no mods, available same day from NAPA for just over $200.

4. Check the first generation Mustang rad for size.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are right, a radiator can be a major hit to the wallet, and ones for our hot rods seem way more expensive than ones for a daily driver. One way to look at it is that a good radiator is an investment in troublefree driving for years and years, and if you spread the cost out over those years it makes it easier to swallow.

The radiator in my 27 just turned 25 years old, and was built by the Brassworks. I really had to scrimp and save as it cost me $700 even back then, but divided by 25 that isn't such a bad deal. Yes, I have had a few leaks repaired in those 25 years, but that is mainly because it shakes itself to death on the front of my car.

But there are some more reasonably priced radiators out there, especially in aluminum, and if you shop around (and get one with welded seams as opposed to epoxied seams) you can save some money and get a good one. I am thinking about one of the Ebay radiators for my rpu project, simply because I don't have the expendible income I once had to spend.

There is nothing worse than having a hot rod or custom that overheats. I have had cars where you have to watch the temp gauge constantly and you pray you don't get tied up in traffic on a hot day. That takes the fun out of it real quick, and makes it so you don't want to drive the car.

Don

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You have to look at it this way,do you want it look right and function like it should or just be cheap. Personally I think radiators that are not made for the grille shell look horrible and take away from the look of the vehicle if its fenderless and no hood.

7. WickedA346

WickedA346

I get mine from junkyards, buddies swapouts, etc. my fordor cost me 45. Thats what it cost to have it cleaned inspected and a few repairs

8. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I want cheap cost not cheap radiator. I will spend the money if I have to but I was hoping there was something I didn't know. Have not bought one years so I didn't know if I was missing out somewhere.

9. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

unkl good call I'll have to check the size that my work

10. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  11. Mattilac

Mattilac

You get what you pay for.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bit the bullet and had a correct radiator built for my 37,it will sit in traffic all day long and not get hot and does not look like its cobbled up. I did have it built years ago and the prices have gone way up since but at the time I thought I spent a fortune,when it comes to the cooling system do it once and do it right. I only go cheap on my winter beaters that get replaced every few years.

13. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I bought this one for my coupe, alum, stamped tanks, made in the U.S.A.

Attached Files:

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

My coupe never reached 180* with 105* temps at 'Goodguys' Columbus with an aluminum cheapo crap radiator.. Less than $200 delivered to my door....

15. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Correction...the box says Summit Corp on the side....the link i posted is not the vendor i used but about the same thing...

16. 59 brook

59 brook

just bought a rad for my chevy from an ebay seller champion radiator. works well good price good service

17. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I bought an Ebay radiator for my 8BA engine. 269.00 delivered, very nice radiator, but you have to be very careful touching the fins. They are very soft.

18. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Superior Radiator out of Mt. Clemens, MI 586-463-8722 Charlie the owner really knows his stuff.

All they do is make custom aluminium radiators. I've had 5 radiators built by them with no issues. I've been told they have an e-bay store but not sure. The last one I had built was last year at that time I paid $300. I know that he gets backed up from time to time but right now I know that things are slow being the time of year.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We have used PRC a few times in the past for aluminum radiators and love the quality. If I can swing the money for this build I would love to use them again. Theirs seem to go in the $400 or so range.

My Son is running one in his rpu and although it is chopped quite a bit it keeps the 455 Olds cool in traffic even.

http://www.prcracing.com/about-prc.html

Don

20. X2

I've had good luck with Superior as well.

21. I bought a 66 Mustang radiator, had it pressure tested and two extra outlets added, cost about $170 all up. My flathead never gets over 180 degrees.

22. Beau

Beau

[​IMG]

I'm going to try out the Volvo 240 turbo radiator. It's 17x22. I'm running a smaller engine and a 2" sweep. It might be too small for larger engines. For $30, I have plenty of room to pay for a few little mods to make it work.

23. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

My buddy had a radiator made for his T from a forklift radiator. Local guy re-cored it and that car was impossible to get hot.
    Didnt cost him 100 if I recall.

Maybe a option for guys with chopped grille shells.

[​IMG]

24. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I have an aluminum radiator in my 39 Mercury. I cost around 280 shipped from Champion radiators on Ebay. It seems like a quality piece for the price. Made in the US from what I was told. I painted mine matte black with high temp rustolium grill paint. We will see how it holds up.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I used a radiator from a 1974 Ford LTD in our 36 Chev PU. It is a crossflow that was turned up on end. Bought the radiator new from Performance Radiator for around $200, but that was 10 or so years ago.

26. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What he said!

http://wwwsuperiorradiator.com/street_rod_radiators

27. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote here for Brice Thomas Radiator. American made, family biz, good quality. http://www.bricethomasradiator.com/
    I don't think I'd trust many of the offshore- made ebay units. Doesn't make sense to me to sink a bunch of money into a motor then entrust its cooling to a questionable rad. Yes, I understand building on a budget, you might get lucky with a cheap aftermarket or wrecking yard part, or you might not...

28. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

How about a radiator for a Ford 9n tractor?

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I tried a Ford 5000 ^^^ radiator but would not cool my stock SBC....