Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Never2old, it always seem to work out that way! haha. I'll check it out.

Low budget, thank you for posting that! I already had a watson inspired job in mind for it, now that makes me want to do it even more. Same color scheme even! :eek:

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I saw a 4 door one when I was a kid that was a cooler lookin shiney blue with a bunch of white scallops similar to this one is why I saved that pic when I came acrossed it.

I remember walking from a distance at a local show to look at whatever this cool ride was and had walked part of the way around it before I realized it was a 4 door with shaved handles and scallops that kind of helped subdue the fact but that to me made it even more cool and mysteriously more interesting than if it had been a 2 door.

3. Definitely a cool find! Dig it!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Hot Rod Apprentice

Hot Rod Apprentice

Awesome find. good luck!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. BlackJackPG

BlackJackPG
    from Idaho!

Nice! My dad had one of these about 15 years ago. Loved the guts outa the thing. Some jack-nugget T-boned him at about 50mph and totaled it, but it was a great car. Gotta love them barn finds!

Good luck!

Pete

6. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Points and condenser, should do it.

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Very nice car with one of the nicest side trims for the year. Tudor, Fordor makes no difference these days. Fordors are better for making money doing weddings too.
    I had a 57 Custom Tudor once and regret selling it now.
    4 door Town Sedans make good customs too.
    Ed

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Get you a test light if you dont have one. Auto electritions best friend. Hook the aligator clip to a good ground and see if it lights up when you touch it to the + side of the coil. If not then work your way back to the ign switch and see where your loosing fire. If it lights up there then unhook the wire from the - side of the coil and see if its hot there. If not then the coil is bad.

If it lights up then turn the motor over and see if the light flashes. If it dosnt then the points are either not closing or are oxidized to bad that they are not making contact, or the wire between the coil and points is broken. Pull the distributor cap off and see if you have fire where the wire hooks to the points. If not then the wire is bad, if so then the points are either not closing or oxidized.

9. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Forgot to mention I changed out the coil, along with all the battery cables too. Looks like i'll be running to get points & condenser.

10. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

That's a really really really cool car. Please keep the y block. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase that for the right price.

11. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

SHE LIVES!!!

Changed the points and condensor and didn't get anything, so we bypassed the resistor and she fired right up. Going to take advantage of my day off and the nice weather and do the brakes. Pictures later.:)

The y-block is staying. After looking up videos on youtube and hearing it run its too cool to swap out

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Congrats! Nothing like the first fire up.

13. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Grats ! Nothing like sucess to make your day.
    When the going gets tough the tough get going! Tnomoldw:D a bit of a different paint job....

Attached Files:

14. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Awesome find. Love those Fairlanes

15. Nice find! Douche out the gas tank before you run it much or you migh find alot of unwanted crap in your fuel system.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Great find.Love the family history.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

^absolutely correct. Nice ride, and good luck with bringing her back from her hibernation. Fresh gas and clean fuel system and its time for a trip around the block. Keep us posted!

19. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

One other difference between the Custom and Fairlane (57-58): Fairlanes come chopped from the factory. Their windows are about an inch shorter.

So, every time you find something unusual on the car, Grandpa finds a new story to fit it. It sounds like you have a great car, an even greater Grandpa! Us old guys do that.

History is so much better after we've run it through our reverb. Has he told you yet about the time he and I drove it eighty miles over to date the Morris sisters? He will, after you ask about the red, high-heeled shoe wedged under the front seat.

I'm kidding, of course... unless you find my key fob in there someplace. (The keys fit a '51 Studebaker. Had to hot wire her to get home that night. It was dad's, and boy was he pissed.)

20. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Good to hear! +2 on the fuel system flush.

21. flathead okie

flathead okie

57 Fairlane 4dr was my 1st car, had to share it with my older brother. We paid 150.00 for it in @ 1970. Car would run like a bat outta hell, 312, auto. Yellow and white.
    Later on I got a 57 ranchero 6cyl 3 spd. Liked it too.

22. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Oh no, he and others told the story of the wreck long before i found the damage. So unless they're all in it together I believe it. They couldn't remember if it was this car, or his willys. Either way, it's cool.:cool:

And no worries guys, Fuel line is disconected and it's just got a rubber fuel line running into a gas can. It needs brakes before i take it around the block though, lol. These drums are stuck on :eek:

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you're keeping it in the family and glad you're keeping the Y block! Looking forward to see what you make of it. 4-doors can be very, very cool.

24. Now its even cooler since its got some more family history. Hopefully the brakes wont be too bad, and youll get to go for a ride soon.

25. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Love it! Great story. Carry on!

26. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

I think the more you are around the car the better you'll like it! Keep a spare resistor in the glove box, they have a bad habit of burning out at the worst possible moment. Happy New Year!!

27. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Yay another day wasted. It snowed yesterday so the ground was wet most of today. Finally get the brakes apart only to realize the fronts are wrong. :mad: Oh well just gotta keep on keeping on.

Did clean up the wheel wells though, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  28. Cool story and a cool car with family history. Can't beat it!

29. Nothing better than the smell of washing of old barn dirt

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Progress has come to a complete stop since it's been raining the past couple of days, but it's supposed to be in the high 60's this weekend so if all goes well I'll take a trip around the block in it. :D

What are ya'lls thoughts on 14 vs 15in wheels? Really like how the 14 gives it the lower look, but 15's will give me more cap choices..