Register now to get rid of these ads!

28 chev roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 276995, Dec 17, 2012.

1. 276995

Hey Hambers, Ive got the chance to pick up an unmolested 28 chev roadster and am trying to get a picture in my head of how it could look once it has had some appropriate attention paid to it. You see plenty of A models around but hardly any chevs.
    If you have any photos you can put up, I would appreciate it heaps.

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Here is my 27, it was missing the doors and tub. I boxed the frame, superbell axel. cross stear from a suzuki samari. 4.3 700r. it's great fun but might not be enough of a hot rod for what you have in mind.

[​IMG]

3. ibuild

ibuild

i am not a chevy fan but if it is all there it should be saved, sell it to someone that will do it justice, my pontiac roadster was the top of the cowl and the top of the quarters, i have got to the point where i don't like seeing nice cars cut up

4. Pick it up it'll make a cool ride!

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's the direction I'd take it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...contrary to popular belief, there seems to have been more than a few early Chevies running around the lakes in the '40s. Turns out flatheads are not a requisite for a traditional rod after all. If it were mine, it'd be a '40s build all the way.

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's another one, although you may want to keep your's rubber-side-down...

[​IMG]

7. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I built this one late 90's. Last version of it seen here.
    All wood structure and floor replaced with steel.
    Widened the rear body 3" and scratch built 4" longer doors
    Speedway windshield frame.
    Stock frame with self made mounts for 283 and TH350
    Early Nova rear end on stock leaf springs lowering blocks
    Stock front axle stock springs less some leaves with Camaro discs on stock spindles
    Stock steering with shortened column

Attached Files:

8. Here's my 28 chev touring...yah they can be cool. As long as it's complete you shouldn't have a problem making it fun. Took me a year to find my missing door, so make sure the important stuff is there
    [​IMG]

9. Here's my 28 chev touring...yah they can be cool. As long as it's complete you shouldn't have a problem making it fun. Took me a year to find my missing door, so make sure the important stuff is there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    click on this pic

10. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

1928 Chevrolets are great. Good to see a Chevrolet in a sea of Ford's.

The VCCA (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) is a blessing if you are restoring, there main focus, or hotrodding a Chevy to help source parts and info.

11. 276995

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
    The car is complete, still registered, and drives. I was thinking of it being full fendered IFS front, with a 350 t400 mustang rear end combo, and just being a good cruiser?
    Will possibly have to steel out the body even though the woodwork is all OK.
    Any more pics along the way I am thinking would be really appreciated.

Steve

12. 276995

Decided to go for it and drove her home.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      237.8 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      260.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      192 KB
      Views:
  13. Cool looking car. Looks like it has one of those pickup conversions they did back during the depression. I used to have a 28 sedan. I was informed by some Chevy enthusiasts that that Chevy 4 cylinder engine in 28 could be hopped up to put out some pretty good power. I never tried it, I sold mine, too much wood work for me.

14. 276995

The box on the back is a home made storage set up. The bloke I bought it from towed a trailer around Australia and used the back as storage for camping gear. Ive got all the parts to turn it back into a rumble seat.

15. Thats a shame.I've had these just sitting here for about a year.A little cutting and they may have worked.

Attached Files:

16. Looks complete, great score!

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

Steve,
    I'd consider cleaning it up and selling it to a restorer.You'd be money ahead you could buy the parts and pieces to build the rod of your dreams.Food for thought.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's local Ozzie 28 Chevy RPU made from just a cowl.

Attached Files:

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

^ That's what I'm talking' about. With as stock and complete as your car is, a truely traditional '40s dry-lake car would be a natural choice. To me at least. Whatever you do, I'll be watching. Carry on sir...

20. autobilly

autobilly

I saw that car there that day and thought it was cool.

21. Nice score! That is the way to start a Chevy build, a complete "assembled" car! Most start as a pile of wood and a separate pile of sheet metal.:rolleyes: Here's some inspirational photos of 28's in a few styles.

Attached Files:

22. bct

bct

nice roadster .....have fun .....i think it looks cool with the box.....depresion era.

23. jmpowie

jmpowie

keep the chevy front springs. I am not sure why the first thing people do with a chevy is put a ford axle in it. Here's mine

Attached Files:

24. trbomax

trbomax

Ive always wondered that too. I went independent in 1962 with mine,but it was a chevy independent!

Attached Files:

25. 276995

Wont be a ford axle, it will have a disk brake HR Holden front put under it.
    This is a common swap out down here. I am keeping all the fenders in place so not much will be seen and it will ride and stop nice.

26. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

consider keeping as much of the original car as you can handle.......

Attached Files: