Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Chris, I think these are fascinating. But you're probably right: Better on a more appropriate thread where more people would see it. MetalShapes is the HAMB tech editor/moderator. I'll bet he can recommend the best thred(s) to post this info.

2. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Jimi, as an automotive history buff with a fascination for orphan makes, I must tell you this is my favorite thread on the HAMB!

3. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

....and it took me awhile, but I gave it a 5-star rating!

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

THANKS, bro! I wish everybody who enthuses about this collection would do that. The higher the rating, the more people with knowledge/pix of ultra-rare or actually extinct cars/trucks we can bring to the table!

5. 1954 Meteor Sedan Delivery-613 produced

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Re: 1 of 3 remaining supercharged V8 Cords
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by jimi'shemi291 [​IMG]
    Okay, here we go. :) I don't recall seeing an externally carried spare on this series before.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=4 width=1020 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    2007 Eyes On Design Concourse

http://www.velocityjournal.com/pictu...271/19486.html

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8431943&posted=1#post8431943

7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

That's George Arkelians Cord Phaeton. This Cord Did Not come from the factory with the rear spare tire. I'm not sure if it is an original factory spare tire from another Cord or if George fabricated it. He is pretty sharp and does a lot of rebuilding of Cord engines and transmissions for other Cord owners as well as being a good parts source.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

1958 Alken Fiberglass Body for the VW Chassis

Well, I hope this is a good spot to post this on the Hamb. This is a 1958 Alken Fiberglass car. I know of 4 that exist after searchig for over 30 years. All 4 are in disrepair and I am restoring this one. Maybe 50 were built, but it is likely that only 2 or 3 dozen were made. The bodies are a full structure with bulk heads. Not the typical skin over a frame.

I need some help sourcing the hood latch which seems like a primative tongue into a latch, and the the door pull which could have been a pull strap from the back of a car seat. The cable in it runs down to the latch inside to open the door.

The windshield is from a 52-55 Forld Consul (lucky that is OK, found new rubber), door latches and strikers from a 55 Tbird, door hinges are 55-57 Chevy. The rear lights are 48 Chevy. This body was designed to go on a VW chassis so gauges, switches, gas tank and headlights would be VW.

The one I have was one of two test mules used by the Nic-l-silver battery company in 1958 for electric car development. It sat in a warehouse from the early 60s to 1978. Early American Fiberglass is very interesing, this body is in really good condition other than where it was cut for the electric power plant.

I have included a link to a R&T article during the launch of the Alken. It is very likely that the dark colored car in the article is the one that I own. From the door panels, dash mounted mirror, bright strip in the winshiled rubber and the tonneau cover and snaps (I still have it) everything matches (wonder if R&T has color archives?) The gray spots are where the red paint has worn away to the original primer.

Kind of looks like the Batmobile in the front merged with a Sunbeam Tiger in the back.

http://karmannghias.org/mag/RTNov58Alken.pdf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. alsancle

alsancle

Neat. Where is the gas pedal?

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peace on Earth, fellow HAMB brothers & sisters.
    Here's wishing all well in the New Year! -- Jimi

[​IMG]

Vintage or just timeless? Honestly, don't know. Thanks to Frankie47,
    for locating this exquisite winter photo. It seemingly shows that something
    beautiful can come, even out of a sad junkyard tableaux of our beloved
    vintage tin, in the eternal embrace of Mother Nature.:eek: Somehow, perfect for
    Christmas for people who dig cars, trucks and customs, often built out of
    junked cars and parts! :)

I know that this "Christmas Card" is a tad O.T., but what BETTER way to say THANKS:) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to all who follow this thread? We don't move fast:rolleyes:, but I think the QUALITY [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]on this thread is excellent.:cool: One of the best aspects is that this thread is, for [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the most part, SEARCHABLE!;) If anyone wants to know if a particular make [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]has been discussed and/or pictured, they have the ability (in most instances) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to use the verbal search at the top of any page. THANKS to all contribu-[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tors and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]he many visitors who are about to put the views over [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the ONE MILLION mark! :eek:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]God Bless the HAMB![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Merry Christmas to all, and Happy, Healthy New Year! :D[/FONT]

11. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

Because it was an electric car the gas pedal was modified a little. They had it out because they were working on the master cylinder.

12. noboD

noboD

OldVWs, do you have any interior? Will you leave it electric? Guess you realise it's on a post '68 chassis?

13. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

Acutally it was on a 57 Chassis. The front axle was changed for 4 lugs and in the 80s a Fiat axle was put in the back for the electric motor to drive. They then made special wheel spacers in the rear to mount the VW rims.

I have since sold the electric chassis because all of the 50s items had been removed except for the reversing switch on the tunnel.

I have a 1958 Porsche drive line to put under the car, brakes, transmission and 1600 normal engine from this Bradley that was done in the 70s and not driven much. When the owners 1958 356 rusted out he transferred everything to the Bradley. I need to find a serious Bradley enthusiast to pick up the Bradley body and interior from me!

I attached a picture of the wild rear end they made to drive the 80s electric car. The put a gear on the ring gear and then a timing chain up to the motor. The VW swing axle was replaced with trailing arms and leaf springs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. noboD

noboD

The Bradley will trip someone trigger, but not mine. Is the Alken a full length chassis? It should do well with the 356 stuff.

15. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

Yes the Alken uses a full length chassis. I believe that only some of the VW based buggies used a shortened chassis like the Manx. All of the other bodies used full length chassis.

You asked about interior. The Alken had it's own fiberglass seats as an option but the ones for this car were lost. I need to figure out which seats to use. The Bradley chassis looks like it had the standard Beetle seat rails removed so I might use speedster type seats.

[​IMG]

16. noboD

noboD

Have you posted pics over on the Samba? Your speedster seats would fit right in with the drivetrain.

17. OldVWs

OldVWs
    from Ohio

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  18. ROBERT JENNINGS

ROBERT JENNINGS

These are some photos of the Brooks Stevens 1966 Studebaker Hawk & Lark prototyes that i took in the early to mid 70's at a sdc meet in south bend.

Attached Files:

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

This is the only original 1942 Pontiac Convertible known to exist.

1942 Pontiacs were manufactured for only 3 months at the end of 1941 when Pontiac started war time production.

Attached Files:

20. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

WOW! Too bad they could never produce these!

21. Looks like the Russians made a rough attempt to copy the Lark in the 90's.

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. Sunroofcord, thanks for that, mine is not a convert, but a true (before Pearl Harbor) 1942 Streamliner, so beautiful cars!!! i always tried to find out if one of the rare '42 woodies survived, found nothing.. maybe anybody knows about?

btw, one great thread this is!!! better than reading detective stories! ;)

[​IMG]

here you can see one besides the production line, these are blackout models, note the painted grill pieces and headlamp bezels, some missing trim (to save up the stainless, chrome, copper and nickel for war-related purposes) and even the bumper guards are gone, must be very late '42 models, think it's January or the first days of February of 1942, in Feb. they finally stopped the civil car production..

[​IMG]

Carsten

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

All I know is what I read in Hemmings.

-Dave

24. Man, Dave, nice find!!! Thank you! the only thing i can't classify is the side ornaments on the hood, no Pontiac pieces it seems.. anybody got 40k for me?:rolleyes:

Cheers, Carsten

25. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's some pics of a gorgeous 1942 Pontiac Streamliner, still a pretty rare car. A friend of mine owns a very interesting and very rare 1942 Chevrolet Blackout car, same body as this Pontiac.

Attached Files:

26. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1942 Pontiac Woodie in Color

Attached Files:

27. this car is gorgeous, you got it right!! hope that mine will come out as nice as this... but not the same body like the Chev, Pontiac Streamliners are the Fisher B-bodies on a 122"wheelbase, the Pontiac Torpedoes were the same body as the Chevs on the 119" chassis..

this is a '41 model, but quite nice!!!

thank you for talking about the fordytwo, wonder if there are any more '42 Ponchos on the H.A.M.B.??

Carsten

28. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

40two; Thanks for the corrections. Lots of things are marked wrong on google images. I thought I found another '42 Convertible but when I looked closer, it wasn't a '42.

Attached Files:

29. What a terrible thing to do to a car.:eek:
    It's hard to tell but it might not even be a real convertible.

30. damn hippies!!! :cool:

.. and the hardest part: it IS a real 1947 convertible!!!