Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my $300.00 1950 ford f1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elmcitydave, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Probably my exact problem. I tend to want to do each thing perfectly and of course I'm not really good enough to pull it off. I need to just pick something and take it on.

2. I like it, can't wait to see it sitting on its own weight.

3. Great job Dave - I'm loving the craftmanship and look forward to seeing this one come together. Subscribed.

4. Its worth it man, when I picked my bottle up I was hardly making more then that a week, but it works so much better. The fluxcore works, but its alot easier to weld with the gas, and it looks way nicer when your done. Just work on one bit at a time, and finish it, you will end up with a nice truck in no time.

Cool F1 project man, 300 bucks is a great price! Those drums were scary.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

SBC fits better than the flathead. Easy to come by, everything available.
    Whether you ever get around to 'replacing with original flathead' or not, the truck ran reliably and smoothly all the time the 'temporary' Chevy was in there...

I have lots of cars, and lots of engines. (my '55 F100 is still Chevy powered, since '72)
    A friend gave me a rust free F1, and my 283 (also gifted from another friend) slipped right in there...

Some guys were at the Goodguys in Pleasanton some years back...they had a '33 Willys gasser, (basically a 'roller') and had built a sub frame from 1" X 2" rectangular tubing, which encased a Briggs & Stratton 12 H.P. engine, with a Chev bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel. (sub frame sat right on the mounts for the Hemi, which was not finished)
    They tooled around the grounds of Pleasanton all weekend with that 'putt-putt'.

I always think of that temporary power when I use a small block Chevy...If ya got it, USE IT!

6. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i ran into a little snag. one step forward two steps back. now that i swapped out the old rear for a 9'' my drive shaft is too short. so instead of getting a drive shaft made for the early ford 3 speed, i might as well go all the way to the dark side and run the th350 that came with the sbc. i have it, i might as well use it. now the big bitch is this cross member.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i started to grind the rivets out last night
    [​IMG]

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

pretty shitty comment dude........ really. WTF

anyways, bitchin truck dude. i totally agree on the fear of messin shit up. as soon as you leave that behind all is well. i felt the same on my apache. and i realized even if i did screw it up, its all fixable. good fab skills, and what a steal of a deal !!!!!!

8. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

this is how i notched out the f1 cross member to fit the th350
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

Your metal work is inspiring. I wish I had the patience.

Forget the SBC trash. Whoever is paying the bills makes the decisions. It is your truck, and it looks great

10. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

Your metal work is inspiring. I wish I had the patience.

Forget the SBC trash. Whoever is paying the bills makes the decisions. It is your truck, and it looks great

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Inspirational work. Keep going, and keep showing us your progress.

12. fitzee

fitzee

I enjoy the truck builds..I will have one of my own some day soon. Nice work.. Ill be watching

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Awsome work! now do ya have to build a second cross member to hold the tranny?

14. Really starting to have an appreciation for these old trucks that I otherwise didn't have before places like the H.A.M.B. Perhaps it's the infectuous enthusiasm for such things. Coming along really well. Can't wait to see how the big girl turns out.

15. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

really nice work , good looking truck .

16. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Nice work man it makes me miss our old 49 f1 and for the gm,sbc haters we stuck a 455 olds,th 400 in ours!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. jesse1980

jesse1980

I can't believe you are putting a Chevy motor in there. At least put a 289 or a 302 in it.

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

If you buy mine,
    i will not put a SBC in it!:cool:

Attached Files:

19. historynw

historynw

Well thats a great build you got going... great metal work.

20. blue57ford

blue57ford

I just read through all 11 pages of this thread. Awesome work. You make the patch work look simple. I bet that if you had a 283 in your truck with 3 2-barrels in it you wouldn't get as much crap. Say 350 and it's a riot.

21. fitzee

fitzee

Agree.. dont see no one bitching about a dodge hemi in a Ford!! it hot rodding!! besides the 350 block been around sence the 50s, so it pre 63 look!! a 302 never came till after!! LOL

Next you see someone put a 350 in a early 60s dodge!! Hay Hackerbilt!! lol

Build Ford tuff with chevy stuff!!!

22. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

i spent most of today making the trans crossmember. i managed to get the motor close to level today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. elmcitydave

elmcitydave

after the school shootings, holidays and snowstorms i am working on the f1 again. last night i salvaged the battery tray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  24. n847

n847

Great looking batterty tray! I wondered where this thread went and until you said something I never noticed your location! Prayers to your friends and family!

25. John62

John62

I wish I was working on my project with the persistence that you are with yours. Instead of making my own progress I'm admiring yours!

I know it has already been said, but great work. I commend you for tackling all the cancer. This truck has come a long way.

26. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's a good deal.

27. Nice progress.Keep it up!
    Todd

28. Carmen563

Carmen563
    from usa

Great deal, Git R Done then drive the hell out of it Good Luck with it[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. Well said!