Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 48bill

48bill

Well said. At 72 I'm slower and weaker. Also read the directions first now. Have to keep working.

UPDATE. 1-30-2013
    Last week finished helping a friend put a Mustang II suspension under the F-1. Now I'm working on the 133 year old house.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

Great to see that there are still a lot of the senior citizen hot rodders around. I started my last project at age 64 and just about have it wrapped up at age 75. It sure takes a lot longer to do things than it used to. The fun of wrenching on your own project never goes away. It takes energy and more money than I thought it would when I started doing my 426 HEMI crate motor powered 1941 Dodge pickup, but you can't beat the thrill when you fire up the motor for the first time and back it out of the garage.

www.Bobs41Dodge.com

3. Veach

Veach

You are only as old as you feel.Some damn youngster said that Still going just not as fast

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I'm 53, so I guess that makes me a kid. Sometimes, I dread getting too old to work on my car, you guys are motivating!

"You wanna end up like John? You can't stay 17 forever!" Steve Bolander

BULLSHIT!

5. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I`m 59 and I really have noticed having to pull myself up after laying on the cold concrete so now I lay a piece of carpet down under the car when underneath.
    Pulls out easily for welding and grinding operations and repositions quickly to front or rear.Stores easy too.
    Sure helps out with the aching knees.

I still enjoy building and am looking forward to retiring so I have more time to play in the garage.

6. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I'm still working on my 40 in my driveway up on jack stands. i'll be 70 in Feb

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am 68 and still do my own work, have better tools now than I have ever had, but.....still have miserable skills to use them, I've got two projects, both were drivers, the 49 was a driver but I had to fix a lot of stuff and still need glass and interior. The 38 Chevrolet has been a garage queen since I quit driving it in the 80's but it is getting closer. If I get them done I have few reasons to get up in the morning. Like a motorcycle ride, it is not the destination it is the trip.

8. Deuce Engineering

Deuce Engineering

I'm 72, been working the last couple of years on a 32 pickup with a lot of encouragement and help from friends. Projects do take longer the older you get.

Attached Files:

9. 40grit

40grit

Will be 68 next August. I am currently tearing the roadster down to touch up some paint. Santa brought me a new spray gun. I love Santa...

John Long

[​IMG]

10. Model T1

Model T1

Of course there are !--------- I know I'm going to get a million reasons........... .But why buy a car then have it built? Or why buy one finished?
    It's a hobby. The fun (?) is doing everything we can ourselves. No one said they have to be trophy winners or perfect. Old cars weren't perfect when new.
    Yes, some guys don't have the time or place to work. Some don't have the skills to hardly turn the key to start one. Some have plenty of money and would rather drive one than lay under it. But, like I wrote, it's a hobby. Do what ya can and tell those young whippersnappers ya did it yourself.
    We walk slower, talk slower, and sure as hell work slower. But there ain't no hurry. We're doing it for ourselves.

11. racemad55

racemad55

I'll let you know in 4 years when I'm 65! Will I be old then?

12. Model T1

Model T1

Half the fun is getting there. One thing certain, you'll never be any younger than you are as you read this.

13. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Count me in! I don't think we white beards will ever give up.
    [​IMG]

14. Fenders

Fenders

What he said !! Brought the question to my mind, what is a hot rodder? To me, it's a guy (or gal) who drive the rod that he or she built.
    Just because you drive a rod doesn't make you a hot rodder -- does driving a new Honda make you a car guy?
    If you don't have the energy, time or skills to make your rod so you have to buy one -- but you like to drive it -- good for you. But you are not a hot rodder.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey Ragtop, that T's gonna look really good chopped...

16. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Just turned the magic number "69" this month. Working on a 29 sedan delivery, chopped and channeled. Started on it in July and should be finished by May this year. Take that back, gotta be finished by May.
    Lee

17. I plan on starting on my 65 Ford truck with in the next couple of years,,I've had it since 72 and I will be in the age group at that time. HRP

18. mel smith

mel smith
    from georgia

Just turned 69, about 6 months away from finishing my 31AV8pickup. Everything seems heavier and it takes longer to get things done. Hoping to build 2 or 3 more before checking out.

Attached Files:

19. bobjob55

bobjob55

59 now, doctor says i need to retire .. started getting my social security checks and i build everything ..right now , I have to build a custom steering column from scratch .. i would have to modify a after market one ,, so why spend the money on one just to cut it up??? besides i need the projects to keep me busy ... and young in the brain ...

20. nashrumble

nashrumble
    from michigan

I'm pushing 70... out in the shop most days. Willys jeep project will probably be the last ground up build. It's still enjoyable but laying on a carpet or creeper is rare and uncomfortable.
    nashrumble

21. Jims35

Jims35

Man I never knew there were so many old guys on here, i thought i was the only one. I started with old cars when i was about 15 years old. I wife thought i would grow out of it,ha ha , i fooled her. Just turned 71 last October and still doing what i can, like most of us oldies it takes more effort . I started the 35 chev in 1999 and have been driving it a little the last four years. I will have to say i get more out of building it than driving it. It has about 2600 miles on it now. Started with a basket case on it's way to being pieced out. I did all of it accept the upholstery which is not done.
    I have a 73 F-100 i'm working on now, probably will be my last one.
    The 56 fairlane i restored back in 1999 , has only been driven 35 miles since then.
    I have a 64 falcon Futura in the shop that i fully restored in 2011. I had bought it new in 1964.
    The falcon and fairlane now belong to my two kids.

Attached Files:

22. duals

duals

I am hitting 73 this month. Attached is a copy of my play area.

Attached Files:

23. pumpman

pumpman

Nice play area, we all need one. When I get in the dog house I quietly go to my pole barn to play. Come to think about it I think I'm there now more then in the house.

24. Leeroy58

Leeroy58
    from UK

Lot of respect to the "old guys"! Love spending time in the older guys shops, is like a fountain of knowledge when you find one that willing to share his passion with a young one 21. Always learn something new, Just hope we can keep it going, and one day i am the "old guy" locked away in his shop still building ground up.

25. tiquer

tiquer

Well I am 60 almost 61 and just starting my 53 mercury PU build.If my last build 46 ford 1/2 ton is any indication I will still be building my 53 when I turn 65:D. I build my Own engines do my Own paint and body and welding and fab work. Would love to pas what I have learned in 60 years but now one seems to give a rats ass.:(

26. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I'm closing in on that age and I plan to keep building my cars. Age is just a number....

27. 40grit

40grit

Yea but in my case it is a big number.............

John L

28. 66 and still kicking. The build is where the fun is.

29. I'll be 65 later this month. I work a 40 hr work week then about 20 hrs in my shop working on my 37 slantback each week Started with a pasture car, now I'm block sanding. Hate this part

30. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

<TABLE id=post8436642 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_8436642 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Started on my '55 Cadillac in July, '05, I was 62... (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...addy+build);;;
    finished it 5 1/2 years later at 68...been driving it for two summers now.. [​IMG]
    Does the young lady in the picture help to keep you young.....or is is just an incentive?
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>