Register now to get rid of these ads!

How best to attach wood trim to dash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Six-Shooter, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Any ideas on how to best attach a piece of wood trim (37 1/2" x 1") along the top of my T-bucket's dash which is made of brushed aluminum? Is there an adhesive that would do the job? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If that dash panel is removable and molding is thick enough. Use small wood screws from the back side. Pilot holes in the wood are key in this process.

3. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

It would be difficult to remove the dash....not impossible, just difficult. The molding is pretty soft wood....pine.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Then go out and get good 1/2" wide 2 face tape. 1st step, measure the tapes thickness with paper removed. 2nd, run a dado ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dado_(joinery) on the back side of the molding an RCH shallow of the tape thickness. 3rd, finish the back side with varnish lets say, let dry, then place tape in the channel then stick it to the dash.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

3M has a great dbl. sided tape, that might work.

6. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Johnny Gee and chaos....thanks! I'll look for the dbl. sided tape.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've never used or should I say never bought automotive 2 face tape. That stuff is super tacky and is designed to stand up to outdoor temps where as home center stuff may not hold up. Can be had at auto body supply.

8. larry k

larry k

DUPONT 08115 PANEL BOND IS YOUR FRIEND, UNLESS YOU WANT TO TAKE IT OFF, IT IS FOR BONDING STEEL TO ANYTHING. JUST ASK YOUR PARTSMAN ,,, DAMNEST STUFF I EVER USED, PRICEY $$$ BUT GOOD,:eek:

9. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Thinly brushed contact cement will work well. Follow the instruction on the can, usually dry for one hour on both surfaces. align the parts with waxed paper between and remove the paper gradually and press the parts together, permanent. Many years of cabinet making here! Pine would be my last choice of woods.

10. 3M Body Panel Adhesive

You'll get it on and you won't get it off.