Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kinda vises are you guys using??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StayGold54, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gerry miller

gerry miller

I have an old Wilton I bought at a farm auction for $120 and thought I paid too much
    Got home and looked it up. $1800 for one like it. Thing weighs at least 200 pounds.
    One guy I buy parts keeps wanting to buy it every time he stops by.Sanded it down and polished it. Looks like chrome but I have to paint it. Starts getting rusty heating and quenching small parts and getting it wet.

Gerry

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I have 3,4,8".The 3 is craftsman,was my dads,+50years old,4" is Japan 1978,8" isnt marked,probably china,but it takes a beating pretty good.weighs 98 #.I don't like a bench mount ,seems that you always need the space or the part won't hang down without hitting the bench. I do have my 3 mounted at my bench for small stuff,but I mounted it to a 2x6,24" long ,then mounted the 2x6 with one bolt in the center rear.That way it swings out to work,back out of the way.When I had my ranch,I mounted my 4"to a 1"plate.That had a 2"sq. tube like a trailer hitch pointed down.I had a reciever in the top of my flatbed it dropped into for field use as well as could go into hitch if tat was best.I really like the one at the bench that goes back out of the way,thought about doing the same with the 4, but mounted to 1' plate for heavier work.

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Currently i have a Wilton. It's been around only about 5 years and has been put through a lot but it's still working like a champ.

4. speed-kings

speed-kings

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Lots of high school industrial arts programs are closing down so check out the public auctions of surplus school equipment in your city or county school system. Start here:
    http://www.publicsurplus.com/

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Got a 20+ yr old Wilton the missus bought me when we were first married. One of the perks of her work envoirnment is great gift idea's from heavy machinery techs!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

I guess the answer to finding a GOOD VISE is to keep an eye open at flea markets,estate sales,yard sales. My area is loaded with retired couples. The old man might have been a machinist, mechanic or just a tinkerer, passes away and the wife has to have a yard sale. Sounds like you pretty much know your vises, so be patient and hit the bricks on the weekends. It's fun.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, I gotta disagree on this one. I have one of those and I now have it shoved up under a workbench outta the way. Worst vise I've ever owned as far as being able to grip stuff firmly and for staying put after you swivel it and lock it down, then proceed to hammer or pull hard on the part you have in the vise.
    It's better than nothing, but not by much.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  9. fsae0607

fsae0607

Right now I have a Harbor Freight 6" and an old no-namer 3" that my grandfather had. The HF'er works good so far.

10. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

There's a Holland on craigslist down here by SDSU.
    Sounds pricey but it looks like a better investment.
    TP

11. Zeke

Zeke

[​IMG]

I love this thing. Found it cleaning Mom's garage. :D

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Two big old Monarchs

13. salf100

salf100

I'm using a 4" craftsman and a 6" bessey from lowes. The base in the craftsman one cracked where the center bolt holds the top to the base. Repaired it with a no name one I had. The Bessey is pretty stout. I use the clamps too with great success.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. StayGold54

StayGold54

Zibo,
    I saw that one, but I looked up the 23 model, and it looks to be on the small side.. Which is weird because the pics make it look like it would be a good size. Thanks for the heads up man!

15. RFH1931

RFH1931

I used the newer junk for years.Finally got a real old Wilton vise from my father in law.It's hard to believe the difference in quality.
    I'll have and use the Wilton for as long as I'm around.

16. There are a couple Wiltons on CL Seattle $75-150 one is from 1945 or so. Not sure how much shipping would be.

I have a craftsman 5 1/2 it's been real good except for the handle, but that was my fault lol My other is a HD made in tawain.

Thx for the tip on the bolt & or pipe

17. Beau

Beau

That's an old post vise for blacksmiths. I love those.

18. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I suggest using the type of vise that holds things. Hey u asked.

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

When I opened my welding shop in 94, I ended up buying a cheap 6" vice from Menards. That one lasted 17 years before it got to the point I couldn't hold things tight enough to put a lot of torque on. Still looks good, maybe I should sell it to someone.....its laying under the bench right now.

I replaced it with a Jordan I bought at Farm & Fleet last Christmas on sale for just over $100. It is an 8" model. So far it seems to be working OK, time will tell.

My biggest complaint about vices with replaceable jaws is keeping the screws the hold the jaws in place tight. It was an issue with the old vice, and I've already had to re tighten the screws on the new vice. Locktight works until I have to heat something to bend it or loosen it, then it doesn't work any more. Anyone have any fixes for this issue? Gene

20. Zeke

Zeke

Yep. No issues with it and the curves make for nice dollys

21. bathcollector

bathcollector

Record No. 4 made in England. Very good vice, built strong. Wind in, wind out, no swivel shit to move when you don't want it to.

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have a 6" Wilton BULLET model. It is OLD ... :)
    I do not know how old but my Father had it for 25+ years. He got it used ... and it was old then. :D

Works great.
    I check Craigslist every so often for a tool I do not have yet ... and Wiltons show up every now and then.

GOOD LUCK and keep looking until you find a oldie.

23. pdq67

pdq67

Hunt up an old fashioned real Blacksmith post vice and be done with it.

Even a smaller 4 to 5 inch wide jaw jobber can be beat on with 10 pound sledge!

Heck, and to round everything out, find a post drill to go with it! Hook up a 1/4 hp electric motor using a v-belt on it's flywheel and go bore some 1" holes in cold-rolled steel plate!

pdq67

24. StayGold54

StayGold54

You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]

25. Beware of the "value priced" Wilton vises. They are Chinese junk, just like HF, etc. Ask me how I know...

26. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. fury9

fury9

28. StayGold54

StayGold54

Kiwi Kev...damn!!! That is quite the setup you got there! Would love to have something like that!!

29. StayGold54

StayGold54

Fury9...I stumbled upon that thread online a couple of days ago, and couldn't believe how many people love to collect vises!! Pretty cool.

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I did the same thing with a truck drum, but instead of cutting a round plate, I just used a pickup disc brake rotor for an "adapter" from the drum to the 4" pipe- worked sweet, the OD of the rotor was just inside the edge of the drum's flange