Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on when to paint permanent joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I have a permanent joint with metal surfaces. I can't decide on cleaning all mating parts, joining, and then painting OR painting it all first.

Over time would paint breakdown and degrade fit of joint?

Thanks
    John

2. What is a permanent joint? :confused: HRP

3. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I won't be disassembling it, ever. Like a riveted type joint

4. Don't paint the mating surfaces, just slather some copper coat or other anti-seize on them before you assemble.

How's that for an answer to something that I know absolutely nothing about. :D

paint the parts or at least primer the parts prior to assembly donot put it on too think all you want to do it protect the surfaces.

If you are talking about a chassis or the like they almost always get painted after assembly. Ford and many others I am sure used to dip them in paint but it is not enrtirely necessary, you are way over thinking this.

5. I'm still in the dark,,are you talking about a steering joint?

If so paint it. HRP

6. HRP
    He doesn't want us to know I don't think. probably part of the new unmanned space shuttle project. :D

7. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

It's part of a frame. No secret. Just didn't think it mattered. Thanks.

8. Are we talking about sheet metal body parts here?

^Nevermind, I just saw your post. On the frame I personally like to have everything coated then assembled and maybe shot again. I don't like the idea of rust forming in the joints and like to seal everything up as much as possible.

9. I would paint it after but it really doesn't matter either way.

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

daily driver = paint it before--and after
    garage queen=doesnt matter wont rust out in your lifetime

11. Your right,,it doesn't matter! :rolleyes: HRP

12. hd4unm

hd4unm

Yeah that. Just like everyone above has said, you could go either way and it all really depends on the subject at hand. Your concern has to do with loosening of parts after the fact because of a high build of softer material where it could cause trouble. And it will if the build of paint is more than a very light coat. These days most frame components probably should be welded unless designed to be removed easily, unless your going for absolute authenticity. You see it depends. If you are welding, paint will mess you up.

My prefs; If the parts have a possibility of rust creeping back in and expanding, it going to get a coating of some sort wether it be just a metal prep or light coat of paint. You can also get paintable, flexible seam sealers made for automotive uses. This was commonly use by manufacturers to seal the edges of spot welded overlaps. If it is bolted up body parts, absolutely paint the mating surfaces first.

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Do like I do, paint it before assembly, then assemble everything, scratch it all up and paint it again after assembly.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

LOL ask a question with no specifics and expect an answer which makes sense.

There are a lot of different joints on a vehicle.

If it didn't matter :rolleyes: then why not decide what to do on your own and don't waste your time asking.

15. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

John, are you planning on going to Bonneville and drive on the salt?
    Well if you are then it will matter. A permanent joint that is not painted
    before assembly will rust and show no matter how much paint you apply
    to the surface.
    The brine and salt of B-bille will rust a steel pin in your old knee! :D

16. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I was referring to the type of metal to metal joint not mattering. Not the answer not mattering.

Thanks for narrating the "eye roll" and the fact that you were "laughing out loud".

17. hahaha! I can relate. That's why my $5000 paint jobs cost $10000---my customers have "problems" during reassembly :eek:

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Telling people specifics of what you are doing and why you are asking will always get a quicker and more accurate answer.

I wasn't the only one confused by what you were actually asking.

If you learned anything at all here maybe that was it.

19. nali

nali

I suppose it also depends how the parts will be fixed together. If welded, I would use weld-through.
    On a frame : epoxy will seal the joint between the parts, and avoid rust.