Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 chevy 3100 truck could this really have happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gilby's garage, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

i saw this truck for sale on that auction site, this guy states that it is super rear and totally original that the chevy script was stampped up side down on the tail gate?

Attached Files:

2. Got to be a trick. And how would he know? Was he there when it rolled into the dealership in 53?
    Either way, I like it....

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Probably a Chinese knock-off!! Hahahah!! :rolleyes: :D

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If it was real, there's no way to authenticate it. Looks like a nice truck, though.

5. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

:D:D:DMust have been built on a Monday:D:D:D

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Anything was possible back then, but would not be likely to have made it to the dealer that way.
    KK

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the top and bottom of the tailgate it's self are the same. All you would have to do is swap the side pieces to the opposite sides to be able to install it upside down.
    There used to be a vendor who just sold the sheetmetal part of the tailgate that you took the side pieces off your old tailgate and installed on the sheetmetal piece and it would be real simple to swap sides and have a "factory defect" conversation piece.

It could have been one of those "bet those sob's will wonder about this one" deals at the factory though.

8. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Maybe it left the factory in Taiwan upside down.....I cant tell if their writing is upside down or not.....Actually, this was not uncommon in the old days when a good welder had some spare time.

9. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

like i said this guy says it's factory and very few were produced, i imagine the press operator got fired then it stopped!

here is his verbage
    Beautifully restored 1953 Chevrolet pickup is a pleasure to look at as well as drive. This vehicle has had a frame-up restoration in 2006 and has been garaged since. It was previously a single owner Montana vehicle with a pampered life; mostly brought out a few times a year for parades, rodeos, celebrations and such. One interesting and very rare feature is the upside down tailgate that came stamped from the factory like that. Very few are known to exist. Interior has been restored as well, new paint, headliner, door panels, seat, etc... additional pictures and/or information are available upon email request.

and the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953...3745102?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2578fea84e

10. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

He's either blowing smoke or doesn't have a clue. GM policy hasn't changed in MANY years. Vehicles are inspected by many folks at many stages. Even the transport drivers are responsible for an inspection before and after loading.
    He may be claiming this in jest, but if the seller's really serious I couldn't believe any thing else he says.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The seller is retarded.

12. jimstro16

jimstro16

When I was a kid I worked at a olds dealer. We got an achieva off the truck brand new with the achieva logo on one side of the car and the skylark logo on the other. So the whole built on a Monday or Friday may happen and still roll out of the plant but this was stamped in steel.

Id say Faked at some point

13. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Fake

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. henry29

henry29

I don't doubt that that it could be an original gm replacement tailgate that the ends were welded on the wrong sides,
    but I really doubt it made it all the way to the dealership and was sold with it.

I've seen lots of nos parts that were stamped wrong or unfinished.

15. very doughtful.

16. parklane

parklane

Me think white boy speak with fork tongue. :p:p

17. txturbo

txturbo

Looks like an export truck......for down under.

18. bet the seller wouldn't sign anything stating the fact it was O.E.M.!

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A friend of mine used to work at a GMC dealership, one day they got a new truck delivered off the carrier that had a Chevy tailgate on it.

20. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

The only, only way I could possibly think of this getting through the inspection lane would be if GM shipped the trucks with the tailgates uninstalled. Just way too obvious, and way too easy for the dealer to fix it before delivery. I do have a photo of a mid-90s Ford Taurus that was brought in by the local dealer, straight off the carrier. One of the front door moldings was installed upside down, so that "Taurus" was, indeed, on its head. Ford missed it but not the check-in guy at the dealership.

21. the story is bull! there is no way the assembly line, the factory inspectors, the dealer, and the customer would want to have the letters up side down.

22. badshifter

badshifter

Those are import knock offs. I got one several years ago, from Keystone. They are not OEM GM tailgates. They are stamped correctly, just assembled (sides spot welded in) upside down. Seller is full of shit.

23. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

I worked in a ford dealership in the 60s. There were many goofups in assembly. The worst one i remember was a station wagon that was a ranch wagon on the right side and a country sedan on the left.

24. badshifter

badshifter

It's an aftermarket part, just like this guy found out after paint.
    [​IMG]

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!:rolleyes:

26. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

I saw that auction and i knew it was bs

27. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Of course the letters were not painted a different color when new... Might make it easier to miss during inspection.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I worked at a dealer stuff like this got repaired before it got sold.

29. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Yeah what everybody else said...bs story. But, I can't decide if it's funny and novel or it says "I bought a cheap, f-ed up tailgate and was too cheap to get another one".