Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why O why must people lean on the paintjob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shinysideup, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Anderson

Anderson

When I was working at a build shop, we did REALLY nice and very expensive paint jobs. Had a full fendered fiberglass '32 3-window (with smooth running boards) that had just had the clear coat polished out and still had some cure time left. The customer came out to see it and brought his heathen children, probably about 5-7 years old. The kids proceeded to climb all over the car, sneakers on the running boards, grubby hands on the fenders, etc. when the shop foreman politely suggested to the owner that he might not want his kids doing that, the guy said "Why not? It's my car."

Not sure if he made the connection that he probably had $10,000 in the prep and paint on those running boards/fenders and making them fit, but like he said, it was his car and his kids.

Common sense is rarely common.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup ive had a few people do that. One guy had a studed leather jacket on while leaning/scratching my car. Lets just say he will think twice before leading against someones car again. Another guy was sitting IM my car pushing switches and shifting gears in my car at a car show once, the only thing that saved him was he was foreign and I assumed he didnt know better, so I was much nicer to him, he still got the message though.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. 2935ford

2935ford

for the most part it's ignorance.

4. Bluedot

Bluedot

I see 2 different schools of thought here by the non-worriers. It seems that the guys who are less bothered by leaning lookers of nice paint jobs are either (a) pro painters themselves, so it's easy for them to fix a scratch, or (b) well enough off that they can afford to have it fixed if they want to. Speaking only for myself, it'll take me many months to do a nice paint job that still doesn't measure up to what would take a pro just a couple of days. Last car was '29 A CCPU - paint was far from perfect, but with the work I had in it, I worried all the time about it - not just the leaners and touchers, but door dings, road rash, etc etc. Chewed out more than one leaner. TOO MUCH STRESS! I realized this is supposed to be fun, a hobby, not stress. So current project will have paint, well some color let's say, but it won't be nice enough to worry about.
    But that's just me. In the end, it's about respect for others and their stuff. It is the owner's call whether the car can be touched, whether a $100K Duece or a rusty '97 Corolla. If I'm looking close at another's car, my hands are behind my back, so the owner can clearly see I will not even think about touching anything.

5. Cantstop

Cantstop

and has anybody else come to the conclusion that Black paint is like a magnet to these idiots.

When I was a kid my fathers buddy had a rumble seat, they still laugh about how big my eyes got when he told me I could step on the fender to get in.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I agree with you , but your words remind me of a story. I was having one of "those weeks" after having a guy leaning in my coupe's window up to his belt buckle - no exaggeration. I walked over to him and handed him the keys - I said hey why stop there? Might as well just drive the thing! Of course I was kinda pissed and obviously my voice indicated it.

A couple days later we're at a show and while walking back to my coupe I see a guy and his wife "looking" at it. She was pointing at stuff and he was running his hands over EVERYTHING!! I was pissed and my pace increased tremendously as I got more and more pissed. As I got near (and I was literally micro seconds from blowing up) I hear the wife say, "you gotta see these headers!" She then grabs his hands and places them on the headers. The guy was blind. He was "looking" at my car - with his hands. I was thankful I didn't make an ass out of myself that day. Some people get a pass - he did. I know that's not the point of discussion, but it was definitely one of those "ah ha" moments. It also made me think (sometimes) to be a little more relaxed, which I think was Lippy's point.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Glad the headers were not hot.

8. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

I (dis) like it when they gotta finger f&@£ it!....why is it they gotta touch it? You don't touch with your eyes!

9. Fenders

Fenders

What Bluedot said in post 64 ^^^

Which is why mine in the avatar << is painted with Ace Hardward spraycan satin black....

10. kracker36

kracker36

Many of the people that I see leaning on other peoples cars are lard asses and lean on anything that they can.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Of course this topic has been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

Some people can't keep their paws off a car. My brother-in-law walked around my freshly polished and waxed black car and there wasn't a panel he didn't touch, leaving oily prints everywhere.

You can even see "car guys" with their own TV shows touching very expensive cars with their hands.

I think the "car touchers" haven't spent hours of labor doing detail work.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

My just painted 40 Willys P/U was in my garage with the door up when my wife's friend and her Douche husband rolled up. My wife mentioned the truck was just painted. Douche man walked around it checking out the paint and then proceeded to pound his college ring on the right front fender. WTF ?? Fortunately no damage was done. That must have been some hard clear. The same guy always tried to slam my car doors as hard as he could. Maybe he was trying to see how much slamming it took to break the glass. The good news is I haven't seen them in years.

13. It bothers me to see someone lean on a friend or family members car much less my own. I will always challenge them by asking "do you know Gill Gonzales"? (A Bo Hopkin"s line to Richard Dreyfuss in AG)
    Those who understand immediately get off the car an normally apolagize.

Those who don't get it, ask who Gill is and that gives me the oppourtunity to explain the scene out of AG which afterwards they always move away from the vehicle

14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Properly applied paint can withstand someone leaning on it.

15. onlyfordmerc

onlyfordmerc

Been to Many, Many, Many Car Shows and Cruise Nights, etc with my Car's over the past 30 plus years and I know we dont like the Leaners & Etc. BUT If your going to take your Car, no matter what condition, to these places, your ALWAYS going to find that person there, ALWAYS!!! SO just expect it, and deal with it in the manner that you individually need to!! What else can you do????????

16. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I like it when the same idiots think it is OK to throw a leg over a hard core Bikers hog! LOL :D That gets fun quick

17. I power parked my galaxie @ a greedguys one year. It should have got a prize for best use of a 30 year old earl schieb job. ;) I even waxed it. Beautiful midnight blue metallic. pretty interesting show.

First day I was parked and this Chevrolet club came and started parking around me. I offered to move over so one of them didn't have to park in a mud puddle and they could all park together. " naw we're good." So I rolled my windows all down and headed out to harass some folks. I came back about 3 or 4 hours later and the entire club was working my car over with wax and cleaners. I asked what was up and they showed me part that they had not gotten to yet, just covered with hand prints. They apologized for not watching my car closer.

Next day the missus came down and we were out walking around and came back and found some old folks (mid to late 60s in age?) in the back seat, just cuddled up and smiling. So we jumped in the front and asked if they wanted something to drink. No thanks then they appologozed and said that they had gone on their first date in a car like ours. How ya gonna get mad at that?

While it is a bummer that some peple just don't care about our old cars end of the day I guess you have to chalk it up to they are just magnets for all kinds of folks.

18. kracker36

kracker36

Sure it can, but why is it necessary to lean on ANY car? Laziness?

19. bad legs? I lean on lots of stuff. :D

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a photo somewhere of it but a few years ago I walked though the local lowrider show and watched a young kid working his ass off to shine up a pretty nice little 64 Impala that was all decked out with all the proper low rider gear while his friends or relatives leaned their asses on the drivers side posing as the home boys. One reason for seeing the sides of those driver lowriders looking like washboards when you site down the sides of them.

My dad bless his soul was the worlds worst about leaning on my truck and hoisting his cowboy boot up in my freshly painted running boards. We went a few rounds over that over the years.

I don't often dispute what Lippy has to say but this time around I will as it is a total lack of respect for the car owner for someone to lean up against his car finished to show perfection or just an old beater doesn't matter.

21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Heard a story of a guy that slid his kid down the fender of a 34 ford tudor. The kid was pushed out of the way and fell on his ass. Then dad got in the guy's face (for knocking the kid to the ground) and he got his ass handed to him by the owner. I've also seen first hand people picking up their kids to see inside the car only to have the kid kicking the side of the door. I put a stop to that one and it wasn't even my car. But the kicker was when I went to a show in Mass. A friend went out to get something from her car and found 2 guys standing on the running boards of my 33 Chevy while a guy took their picture. Hell she went up one side of them & down the other. Her husband was not far behind her and he thought he was going to have to drag her off of them. Thanks Lisa!

22. Well first of all it all depends on how drunk the person is.

Then, it depends on what the car looks like. I once tied my shoe on a rat rod.

But to many people that don't understand, don't respect, don't give a shit or just plain don't care.... it's just an old car.

23. kracker36

kracker36

Most cars that I have seen do have at least one seat ;) Id be glad to let someone sit in my car instead of on my car! My wife had a lady at Crusin' The Coast sit on the fender of her 65 Mustang Fastback. It has the original paint and 12k actual miles, so she ran over and lifted her A$$ off of the fender. The lady looked astonished. My little coon-ass dont allow such behavior------especially with that car:D

24. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

It happens all the time even with people with old cars. My solution in high school was a coil with secondary wire to the ground. They only leaned on it once. But to day they would probably take me to jail.

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

26. johnod

johnod

What took you so long?

27. afaulk

afaulk

I agree with Ron White (you can't fix stupid) however some people get a pass from me. I politely educate children, unless they're way out of line. Folks like Gene Winfield who's age has caused them to sometimes need something to lean on (I try to find them a chair). The rest, I just tell them to go bother somebody else......that works pretty good. On that point I don't care what they or anyone else thinks. If they're offended, just get over it.

28. the-rodster

the-rodster

I was at a car show, and saw a bunch of guys that I knew sitting beside a really nice challenger convertible. I did not know the owner. Space was tight between the cars, and as I stood beside the car and talked to them, I wanted to make sure that I didn't bump into it, so I place my thumb and index finger on the vinyl tonneau covering the top. Just as soon as I did, the owner told me to get my hand off of his car.

Maybe I shouldn't have touched it, I dunno, but I certainly did no harm, and meant no disrespect.

Rich

29. Sounds to me like that guy (AH) was also a corvette owner.

30. I don't like
    It's disrespectful
    It sucks
    The people are ignorant to car show/show car etiquette
    But, I'll be damned if I'll watch guard over my car every second it is parked.
    Part of the price of admission anymore unfortuneately.
    Yet, another sign of the times.