Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why O why must people lean on the paintjob?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shinysideup, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I can speak from 20 years of experience restoring cars for a living , that someone leaning on a fresh paintjob (even without buckles , zippers , etc.) can scuff the paint very easily . It doesn't make me happy at all , after putting all the time & effort into the car (even if it's not mine) .

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i understand why people with expensive paint jobs want to keep them nice and i like to see them sometimes---would never think of touching one--but the same guys that bitch about this are same guys that bitch about dumb questions and how old a hot thread is and who cares what else---i have owned cars that draw a lot of interest and comments all my life and have found most people to be of good intention and mean no harm--rope off your cars and don't speak to anyone--be happy----me when i see the dent my friend Johnnie Copeland put in the stainless on the top of my passenger fender 46 years ago ..it makes me remember he died way to young

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I wasn't speaking of carshow fools, these people were guests in my garage. They were also the ones so very infatuated by the car, then while shooting the breeze found themselves leaning all over it too much. Having done the bodywork I know what it takes to put a wave in that fender.

I guess Im confused how they SAY they see the value of the object then show the opposite.

4. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

That made snot blow out of my jaded old hairy nose.... good one!

5. Pharouh

Pharouh

It's just an old car....
    Or,go lean on their new car and see what happens. It would dent like a Coke can.

6. daddio211

daddio211

About the only thing that worked for me is saying, as politely as I could, "I built this thing and I don't lean on it, I'd appreciate it if you'd respect it the same."

Then punch them in the junk.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Well,well,well. This is a touchy subject. I have had show car paint on my cars for the last 55 years. I have just about every thing that could happen happen. When I was a ut when some one even touched my car there was an ass kickin. As years go by I can tell of the things that I have had happen to my cars. How about some one in your car playing with the gas an spark on my Model T. Or the kid sliding down the fender. Or the time in a parade guy jumped on the running board and rocked the car going down the street. Or lifting the hood over center. Or starting the car with the crank handle. Or when in a show someone bumped the rope stand on to the fender. Or the old guy showing that this was a steel car by slapping the fender with his ring hand. Oh there are so many more. The fact is if to chose to take your car out of the garage don't be surprised if these things happen to your car. This was just with one of my cars. As they say"SHIT HAPPENS"

8. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

I'll agree to this. After all you can't protect them forever! Don't sweat the little shit (By the way the only big shit that happens is YOU DIE)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

We're a very tolerant group, kids get shot for stepping on others basketball shoes. Bob

10. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

People don't respect anything unless it's something THEY own.

11. Ed Winfield leaning on my headlight. But I learned somthing that day. Kong to the left and me to the right.

[​IMG]

Tim

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I Agree! That is my number#1 pet peeve people think because the car is old the door has to be slammed to shut :mad:

13. Was at a cruise night several years ago and this guy was leanin on this freshly painted red 65 GTO, shootin the shit with his buddy who was leaning on the car next to the GTO. The leaner was wearing blue jeans with the copper rivets. The owner of the GTO somes up at a brisk walk and gets in the leaner's face for scratching his brand new paint. I really thought they were going to "fist city" over it all as the conversation between them got louder and louder.
    While I wouldn't want anybody scratching up my new paint, I also have to realize the owner brought the car to a public event where he had no real control of what happens,
    Yeah, I know, you were speaking of having the car in your own garage. Well, one day my buddy, Tom says to me "Hey, Johnny just got paint on his pro street 55 IHC...let's go see it".
    We drive over there and Johnny's pickup has just been painted 2 days ago and the truck has gotten a fine layer of dust on it while curing/drying. It's perfect in super shiny black paint when ol Tom walks up to it and swipes his had in a big arc across the hood! Says "Damn, Johnny...looks great!" Makes a great big swath in the dust on the hood! Oh, shit! I thought Johnny was gonna kill him. Tom says he just wasn't thinking..sorry.

14. hanschevy

hanschevy

People are plain stupid. I also have to explain thousands times and they all respod the same way:I wont scrach it.I can lean on your car,take it easy! Grrrrr

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

I guess Ed Winfield and Kong could lean on anything they want. They know its only a car. Anybody ever see "The Choppers" starring Ivo's bucket? Did he worry about his car being leaned on?

16. Some people put those signs on their cars like "Don't touch this car
    unless you are naked" and other admonitions......to try and ward
    off the idiots. I suppose that works with some of them.

As was said.........people just don't seem to think. You hate to
    start off insulting them by saying "welcome to my garage, but
    please don't touch my car(s)." It's a kind of no-win situation.

17. Muttley

Muttley

If you want to lean on your own car thats fine, if it's not yours find a tree or a wall.

Yes, they are.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Christmas spirit gone already?

19. slammed

slammed

I do not like me or my stuff touched by other people. So any of you homo's touch MY stuff, I'll kill ya-Francis.

20. I get pissed when people look with thier fingers and not thier eyes. Ive had jerks lean on my 37 Willys over the years and i find they are posers and dont have a car of thier own. As said its not just the leaning but whats in the pockets,keys,coins,tools or anything else people put in them. Little kids is another, trying to scramble up the door to see what dads looking at inside !! yes i have seen this more than once. So if its not yours keep your ass etc off it !!!!!! JW

21. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

A very touchy subject, I don't mind people touching my car , but don't disrespect it.

Here's a pic of my mates' Willys , this old bloke ,Who is well known in "the game", should know better, decided to perch his ass on some one elses car .

[​IMG]

Regards Dave.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That's a pretty expensive lawn chair, and I bet he didnt bring it to the show. Selfish enough to not even offer his wife to set down first....

23. Simple answer is that they are not used to being around anything of value. I was going to say it is total lack of respect but they are your friends and family and I don't want to say that about your friends and family.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  24. Ignorance, simply!

25. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

In front of my buds car we look up and a guy is just not leaning on his 64 2 door wagon, his whole body is embeded from the qtr panel to the elbow on the roof. He just gets done dealing with him when I hear my car door slam. I look up and some idiot is sitting in my car......wtf
    I go tell him wtf are you doing, he starts the "oh sorry mate, I have never been to a car show before" I said, do you walk up to any car in a parking lot open and get in. He says no. I said ok then where is your wife so I can try out her tits.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Supidity is an epidemic..try not to catch it

27. I'm gonna throw this popcorn over my head. Why do dogs lick their balls?

28. 343w

343w

It's not about your car or how much work you've put into it, it's about the lack of consideration people have for everything! Most people today are clueless about our passion for cars and what they mean to us. You can't make them understand something that has been in our blood for our entire lives! I had a cop stop me for speeding once, when he walked up to my 40 Ford tudor and put his hands on my door, he said, "what year volkswagon is this anyway!" We are a unique breed of humans, us car guys & gals...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  29. An hour or so out in today's society and I'm lookin' for a lean-on whatever. And I'm twenty years younger than the cat in the shot above.

30. After reading this thread , why do I think car cover sales will go up ?