Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features gasser austins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by burt21, Sep 2, 2011.

1. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Hey Gasserman, thats a nice looking ride. Weren't you on Byrons site before it shut down and had a 4 dr body on the frame before a 2 dr became available?
    Quick question for you, what front axle width are you using (king pin centers) ? I'm starting to gather parts for my own gasser project and am on the lookout for a straight axle setup.
    Thanks.

2. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Mine is 39" I think with Ford spindles.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had no luck finding a axle for mine in the width I needed. Had to make one up in 36" kingpins for my narrow '46 body. The body on mine is 52" wide outside at the fenders, so with Chevy spindles and 3.5" wheels, the tires sit just inside the edge of the wheelwell openings.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

One being built here in England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Steve, what's going on with that rear fender area? Looks like the body was cut for a lowrider, and he's going back more stock style fender?

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I don't know mate but would assume the missing bit will be going back in.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Friend of mine just bought this

[​IMG]

And turned it into this, using it as his daily driver :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LZ

LZ

Steve:
    That PU is fantastic.:cool: Tell your friend good job.
    This is a great thread. Will post some pics of some local stuff after I get some Christmas items out of way.
    Merry Christmas to all you across the pond.
    Luke

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes he made it look so much better, Merry xmas to you and yours too.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Any idea what year that PU is Steve? Haven't seen an A40 PU with that grille before.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

1952 mate

12. seatex

seatex

13. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

It had monster rear wings made by one owner to take large tyres as in photo-

[​IMG]

14. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

All later commercial A40s pickups/ vans/ countryman (station wagon) had the commercial grill, the very first ones with this grill only had the lower half the grill, the hood was solid, but in tests it led to overheating, the early commercials all had the car grill and also had aluminium bodys, the van and countryman from the cab back and the pickup had a aluminium pickupbed.

15. 33HEMI

33HEMI

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks for that info! I've seen the aluminum PU beds, but never an aluminum body! That would be very cool! Never seen any of those grilles on this side of the pond either!

17. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Ray this one is for you, found in some old photos-

[​IMG]

18. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

great post......sweet

19. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Hey Bob (fiatgasser)...
    I believe this is a current pic of the Grape Ape car...
    Anyone have any more info or know if this is the car? It looks to be the same just painted red...

Attached Files:

20. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Steve,
    Ya, that looks like the Grape Ape Car. I noticed they got rid of the wheelie bars on it. When I had seen it run, it launched hard and got on the wheelie bars. It looked like it unsprung the right rear tire lifting it off the track. Then it took a hard right to the wall. The car owner at the time told me that he couldn't figure out why it was leaving the line so out of shape. Only now looking at the pictures I noticed the rear wheel up in the air. Great car. It is a shame they changed the color and name. To me that would be like your Dad painting the Bizio truck red and putting "Pickup Truck" on the door. Just my two cents. That being said, it is still an awesome little Austin.

21. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here's a few more Austin gasser pics...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  22. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Yeah i definitely agree, the lettering ins't my cup of tea either, but to each their own... It still sits nice and has the nice wheels on it. Love the look of the spindle mounts up front! I like the look of an unchopped austin Gasser. Seems like most people want to chop them.

23. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here's a few more Modern Day Shots...

Attached Files:

24. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

the gary morris car pictured in the uk post was raced out of lavista ne. a suburb of omaha back in the 60's, the image is at thunder valley dragway in marion, sd. the track still exists. so does the car. it was last known as the warlock, painted black and resides in mich. somewhere. in the one shot he's racing the concoction willys later known as skyrider, it also still exists in omaha and is restored.

25. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

correction; the austin in the willys image is allen zimmerman, the panama zipper from panama, ia. no idea where that austin is.

26. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Jeez..........that was a long time ago, not a hint of a grey hair!:)Thanks for the pic, I have no idea who I'm talking to either:confused:

27. Chequered Demon

Chequered Demon
    from England

I've spent a couple of years and a bucket full of money converting a sorry old Devon into a 61 Gasser. Originally exported to Canada in 51 and then re-imported from Washington DC in 2010 back to dear old Blighty. Has a Thompsons Garages straight tube axle kit up front and a Bronco Connections LLC Ford 9" rear. Runs a Probuild American 385 CID stroker SBC. Mainly used on the streets, but hoping for some strip action this year.

Read all about it - www.checkereddemon.co.uk

28. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Ray here is your pickup at Wheelsday in Guidford I guess before you purchased it-

[​IMG]

29. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Cool, that was way before I got it, very late 80's I'd guess, I bought it in '94, this is how it looked at that time in the ad in Custom Car Magazine.
    Thanks for posting those early shots, if you've got any more I'd appreciate them.

Ray

Attached Files: