Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Tires - Is it just me??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatcrazy, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You too, huh? What is it with those guys? SO picky!:p

2. Most bias tires come with a red dot. This red dot goes on the valve stem side of the wheel and lines up with the valve stem and the center of the wheel. I have not seen this mentioned.

This thread seems to be hostile and I think most of the problem is the wrong application of the product.

Read post 156 and 157

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How does that explain the observed lack of roundness, exactly?

4. You put me in a tough spot with the word "exactly". I just thought that some people should know the reason for the red dot. There seems to be a lot of people interested in tires on this thread.

In the seventies a bunch of hoodlums got into CJ5 Jeeps. They had all kinds of tires and the most popular were TRU TRACKS with 10" wide wheels. They were bias tires. They all had to be shaved for a decent ride.

If I was mister Coker, I would not post a single thing on this thread. I would just let it die. He should deal with each problem separately when the individual calls his office. He will just receive more cyber bulling if he makes a comment.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be happy if he'd just have the molds fixed.

6. The definition of cyber bullying is post 156 and 157. Bunch of hog wash.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, how would that apply to a stock suspension, 1953 Chevy 210, running 6.70-15's, which is the stock tire size and stock load rating? The tires are NOT ROUND. Road-force balancing, on-car balancing, lining up the red dot wherever, Ackerman angle, or shock valving are not going to make an out-of-round tire, round.

As it has been demonstrated that other companies can make these tires round, and even Coker can to, with other tires, it is by no means whatsoever cyber-bullying. It is a legitimate product concern that is NOT BEING ADDRESSED (yes, we have tried, numerous times). We don't need an apology, nor do we need an apologist, we need round tires, since that is what we paid for, and quite a bit, too.

8. I just read them again. I think you may be right and I apologies.:D

9. Good man. I don't think this should be a hostile thing either. I don't think Coker goes out and sells tires to be cheap and make problems. I agree with Ryan where he says corky does it out of passion. I believe that is all correct. It's also true Coker doesn't manufacture the tires. We are lucky Coker does what they do. I also think people that have not had problems can't conceive the problems others have had.

The people that have had problems are only telling others what they had happened. It sucks to hear "well I didn't have any problems so it must be your car"

There are some serious car building hot rodders who have voiced problems with the front runners on here. It would be awesome if we could get a set of littles to run that would be trouble free. I'd buy a set in a heart beat. After what I went through with mine I will wait until there some proven 450s.

10. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Try dynabeads for balancing

11. After all I went through on those 450s I suspect that is only a temporary fix. I have no idea either way though.

12. slammed

slammed

Very good rebuttal. This is a most civil discussion. Fact finding and follow up to very good questions. An open house of the manufacturing process and its 'go-no-go' procedure would be interesting and informative.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I am considering law school.:eek:

14. chrisp

chrisp

If out of round is pretty normal for bias, that would be great if Corcky could offer that shaving service for all of you who don't have a shop that does that in your part of the country and all of us foreigner where it doesn't even exists.
    But how could you explain the cracking of the side wall on tires that are not old from Coker, not Dunlop, not Michelin?
    For those who complain about the price hike during the last 10/15 years of Coker tires, I guess it's the same problem as gas, both are made from oil, no more rubber tree and sometimes when you're a small business you get slammed harder.

15. x2, This thread is horror show compared to old days. Some spooky run- out specs appearing in this thread.
    I deviate some from O/P in needing 4x 5.60 x15" wide whites for my aussie 'compact' (2250 lbs).
    I'd love to run bias for looks but remember the drivability contrast of running radial. Last drove my car in '84.
    Decisions, decisions..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  16. 97

yep they do

http://www.cokertire.com/700r16-coker-classic-blackwall-tire.html
    several other sizes too.

so if people aren't happy to take the cross plys they way they were/(and still are) then don't use them....get the FAKE ones especially made for whiners.

17. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

You don't get it eh? There have been several old timers on here that probably learned to drive before radials were even invented, and everyone of them says bias tires drove just fine "back in the day". This thread is clearly about poor QC / deceitful sales tactics and not old tech. Read the whole thread next time.

18. slammed

slammed

No whiners here 97.

19. A tyre is a product where I want excellence. It's where the car makes contact with the world.
    And it's the start point of a lot of champion race car builds.

20. 97

I read the whole thread, I would say it is approximately 50/50 about the tires vs the QC. You are the only one who I see , thinks it is deceit. I also note that the original listing at the top of the page is titled "technical"

THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Hokey Ass Message Board
    Reload this Page Technical Coker Tires - Is it just me??

HOWEVER!

Yeah I get it, I am one of them, ( older 'n mud)...I have owned my RPU on crossplys (bias) since 1968.
    I have also owned garages and tire shops and been in the automotive business in some form or another for all but four years of my working life.
    I agree it is about an issue with SOME tires....not even all of them and Don't climb into me like you know it all either, like I said if you can't work it out , use the radial version. ...we are damned lucky to have ANY proper tires ... I was on my last set of new 700x16s and using retreads on everything else I owned when Corky Coker managed to buy and revive the last existing cross ply moulds from Firestone ( here in New Zealand) before they were scrapped.

Tires may well have driven OK, back in the day ,( roads , cars and people were different and we had different expectations) most tires WERE OK , but there were obviously enough of them that were out of round to justify manufacturing shaving machines. the fact is that radial construction uses steel belts/cords and enables more accurate placement of rubber and a completely different vulcanising process.
    Bias/cross ply construction uses fabric cords, and hand laid rubber. They are INTENTIONALLY loaded with more rubber than is needed so that there are no voids.... and often need shaving before use if you intend driving at higher speeds....always did and always will.
    Remember when these tires ( moulds) were new here in NZ the speed limit was 50mph, and it was hard to find a road you could do that on for any length of time.
    When the tire has been removed from the mould, there is no way to trim/shaved the rubber to round without fitting it to a rim.
    The ONLY way to ensure accurate roundness is to shave them mounted on your own rim, extra tread depth/rubber is incorporated for this purpose.
    Most people would never have known it was being done, tire shops just fitted the tires, and if they needed truing that was part of the process. Some did some didn't.

21. 97

:D:D Yeah right!...also I note that the OP sorted his problem by shaving the tires...

22. eppster

eppster

Lets get a sense of reality here. In the early 60's I hoped to get 10 or 12,000 miles out of a set of tires. After spending a weeks paycheck for a set of tires do you really think I was going to tolerate seeing 3 or 4,000 miles shaved off onto the garage floor ? I don't know , maybe Goodyear Double Eagles would get better mileage but I couldn't afford them . If I could afford a pair of Atlas Bucrons for my rears I'ld probably get less because I'ld be beating on my car all the time, ha !!! I just had to be satisfied with my Phillip's 66 tires. Now if you don't recognize those three tires names then you weren't there so you have no idea how tires were in the old dayes !!!

23. 97

u

The thing is it is only the high spots that get shaved, and shaved tires get BETTER mileage. Sure i could name a few brands that you wouldn't have a clue about either..... but we live at opposite ends of the earth. Like I said I have owned my A RPU since 1968. I was there then and I am still here now.

24. eppster

eppster

I don't know about New Zealand but in Carroll County , Iowa we could easily drive 60 mph on our gravel roads let alone the speeds we could drive on our paved roads. The trick used to be to go out to our marked quarter mile , drag race and then race top end back to town, If guys were geared differently that gave you each a chance. Crazy, yeah but that's the way it was. Now I'll repeat this---I never had any tires shaved, I don't know of anyone who did, talking to all my car buddies who are as old as me and older they are of the same opinion---most had never heard of tire shaving except in a race situation !!!

25. eppster

eppster

Sorry 97, the problem with posting is that two people can be posting at the same time and you get lost in between.

26. I remember bias tires use to come wrapped in heavy paper. The paper had a high tensile strength.The paper was wrapped kind of radially and covered the inner tube hole, sidewalls and tread. You could not see the tire. I think I might have a Model "A"tire that still has the paper. I think the paper was used to protect the tire during storage and maybe help it keep the desired shape. I have no clue what the correct way is to store a bias non mounted tire. I think vertically and the paper would maintain the correct shape.If you lay them on the ground and then throw four or more tires on top of them and maybe some plywood and an engine block or a tranny on top of the plywood the tires just might be out of round when you go to use them.

27. eppster

eppster

Today tire companies put different ingredients into the rubber to maintain the black new look of the tire. By itself rubber seems to take on a dull grey look , guys would use a product called Tire Black to get that new tire look, it was sort of a cross between shoe polish and paint, I suspect that part of the reason for the paper was to keep the tire looking new. Tire Black was a used car dealers friend !

28. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I heard everybody who replies to this thread is getting a free set of Coker tires!

29. Lets get everything out in the open. Have people been having trouble with Honest Charlies Speed shop?

I bought some tire black bout 15 years ago. The tires still look good and the old 1947 Dodge Power Wagon has never been garaged. The ACE Hardware vermilion red paint job has faded.

There is a picture of some hot rodder painting his tires at a car show. It was published in Hot Rod Magazine originally I think around 1960's. I have seen the picture published a couple more times recently. I think the car is a 32 coupe.

I think they quit making Tire Black or I can not find a source.

Exactly, I have no idea what this has to do with tires being out of round and spinning them one an a have times their designed RPM. I am trying to stay focused but it is about five below zero and the wood stove went out last night and the trailer house is cold.

30. I'm just saying: We had a service station from the early sixties and sold and fitted hundreds of cross ply tyres. I have never heard of shaving tyres before. Maybe it just wasn't done in Australia. Can't remember having problems with the tyres then. Just my 0.2c worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.