Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glide Bench Seat into 29 Model A Coupe - Anybody got any advice...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Dec 25, 2012.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am just about ready to install my Glide bench seat into my full fendered unchopped 1929 model A coupe and was wonder who has done this before.

First question, did you use the stock seat riser or does the new seat fit up without the riser?

Secondly, has anybody got any pic's of their work.

I've cut the floor panel out behind the seat and removed the toe kick panel turn up (rumble seat stuff) that seems to prevent the new seat from being able to be positioned back a little further for anybody tallish.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Not sure about the specifics, but don't center the seat to the body on the mounting holes. The recliner mechanism on the left is wider than the hinge on the right.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Got a couple more pic's which may assist in prompting thoughts...

Attached Files:

4. lorodz

lorodz

dodge durango rear seat. pull it apart remove the center section put back together and you now have a foldable seat and comfertable also and its the perfect height.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Boy that was helpful, since I have a Glide seat and was asking specifcally about doing a Glide install.

6. In my coupe I used a glide for the sole purpose of having better comfort for a worn out back. Two surgeries in the last few years. I mounted to the original floor. I will look at lifting the front this spring to get the cushion up in front to lift the knees some. You would have to fab up some strong mounts on the original seat riser to hold the seat. All an all I have been very happy with the seat. Cushion lifts to get to the storage under the seat. Lazy back can tilt to get in behind the seat and get you set for driving. Just my two cents.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My seat came with the project when I purchased it.
    I am of the same opinion that it should be comfortable and kind to my aged back.

To look at it it seems that maybe it does not really need the seat riser once the foam cushioning has been added, but I am just not sure and what is the point of trying to re-invent the wheel if somebody else has done it all before.

8. you probably want to remove that package tray so you can get the seat back farther

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for that tip, I was wondering about that!
    It is starting to sound like, that if the seat riser stays it will also need to be moved back a little also...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  10. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

I just put the Glide seat in the 33. They have a very nice slide assembly for about 100.00 and they sell a pre fitted foam kit as well. Vey comfortable. The Trimmer said the price for the foam is less then the cost of labor and materials. Their foam has a built up area along the front of the seat for comfort. raises up the knees. The slide adds about 1.5 inches in height. I fit perfectly with the seat bolted to the orig. floor. No chop, heavy channel. I'm 6-1 240.
    Must say that the seat really is comfortable. Very satisfied.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I think you have hit the nail on the head my friend, I got to thinking that tracks I do not have and just maybe they are the key to attaching the new to the old in a round about way.

My foam kit has been ordered but not arrived as yet.
    Have you got any pic's of your seat installed that you could share?

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

13. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

If you attach to the floor ,the height should be perfect. The tracks and the foam will raise it up just right. The foam is made on an angle very similar to the seat base angle in the car.
    Between the seat back adjustment and the slides I could really dial in a perfect fit inside the car. The upholstery guy just tweaked the foam and it felt tailored. Easy deal. Mark

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's funny

15. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

You may not need to remove the package tray just trim it back about 2-1/2" , this worked on my '28 coupe.

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks Dave, I've taken a second look at the package tray and think you could be right.
    Trimming back should work and probably helps to maintain a little extra strength in that body area by still having some of the tray remaining.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been in touch with Glide by email requesting price and shipping details so I can get me a pair of those slide seat adjusters.

Once the foam and adjusters arrive I am sure I can work it out to suit my sitting position.

Thanks to you and other for your constructive comments.

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, my Glide seat is fitted now and looks fine and is at the height I am happy with.
    I made a base that fits into the floor pan area and attaches to the four nearest body bolt points.

The slide adjusters attach to the base and the seat to the slide adjusters.
    The Glide adjuster lever sticks out the front and could be annoying to the driver or passengers feet depending which side is chosen to locate it.
    So, I cut the lever off, put a couple of slight bends in the off cut piece and the re-attached it by welding at 90 degrees so I now have the lever on the side of the seat near to the door.

Works best for me that way.
    Any way you be the judge of how the finished product turned out...

Thanks again to the earlier posters for their constructive comments/ideas.

Attached Files:

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody ever successfully fitted one of these Glide seats to a model T coupe???

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As a late entry... have you tried your seat frame with the foam on it? I can't imagine finalizing anything without doing that. Gary

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, thanks for the thought, I have tested it with the foam kit which I ordered.
    It sits right for me and corect according to earlier instruction from previous posts.

They sure are a nice seat.
    A luxury for me, I would never had purchased one new but scored it on the cheap and glad to have it.

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I see that there is another seat maker in CA besides Glide.
    I guess it maybe old news by now but as usual I was the last to know.
    They are called Bengel and seem to have a well priced set of products to suit hot rod demands just as Glide do...

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glide seats are very comfortable . BUT the tilt mechanizim is straight from a HONDA. Dam it's ugly. Right in your face plastic on the side of the seat with goofy signs. So we cut it off and re manufactured things a lot to make the UGLY go away. Have no Idea why they use an in your face HONDA or similar tilt lever, cos the seats ain't cheap but use a cheap plastic lever. Perhaps a better idea is a wrecking yard hunt?

24. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Wow thanks for the honorable mention. Glide builds good stuff and has for years. We at Bengels have taken our seat frames to the next level and soon will be releasing some really exciting new to hot rodding products. We still are building each and every one of our seat frames CUSTOM to our customers specs. As always we are making a conscious effort to keep the cost of hot rod seats as low as possible, but then subtract the Hamb O Dex discount from the already low cost and you cant beat these deals.

I posted up a reply on your other thread and it looks like you have things pretty well under control. also want to add that there's not a thing wrong with that Glide seat, you will get years of good use out of it as they build a good product! Enjoy and thanks again for the mention.
    M.T.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  25. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

JUST AN FYI :D
    While the recliner mechanisms are a bit on the ugly side they are very well built and tested exhaustively. In my searching for different recliner suppliers I have found very few suppliers, and the few I have found are building basically the same thing. Glide nor Bengels use import mechanisms and they are not the same mechanisms used by Honda. Unfortunately, or fortunately our U.S. liability laws make it such that an OEM style recliner mechanism are the only thing approved for seat fabrication at this time. Chopping up the seat frame and changing it around by the end user could be done for esthetics, but it has to go out the door from the Manufacture in that configuration. Safety ace's out looks every time. :D Just for the record we dont like the looks of aluminum or plastic end caps either. For that reason we deveoped a way to inboarded our mechanisms making the frames smooth sided when upholstered. Only thing sticking through the upholstry is the adjuster stem for the adjusting handle to mount to. You can see there is quite a bit of extra tube bending that is required to do this but we feel it is worth it to get away from the unsightly end caps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014