Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-57 Pontiacs Picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

my 55 pontiac daily driver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my cousins 55 wagon with a 56 front clip. and his step dads 56
    [​IMG]

2. dougyfresh1957

dougyfresh1957

my ol poncho...work in progress

Attached Files:

3. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

I Know this ride its Jack Pettit !!!! of Long Beach:D

4. brad2v

brad2v

The on my wife and I are putting together.

Attached Files:

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) Is this the same body as the 55-57 chevy? If so, who designed it?

2) List reasons why the pontiac v-8 did not become "the" engine and what led to it's phase-out in 79.

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

3) Explain the rationale behind installing such a robust rear axle in these cars when the engines really weren't making mega power.

Could it be a case of wanting to put very high quality components in the car thus insuring long life because they knew it (the axle) would never get shredded?

7. bryan6902

bryan6902

c-10 simplex.... Roofline and glass is the same as well as a few other pieces. Frames, floorpans, chassis all different from Chevrolet, unless it's Canadian.

Axles were shared with Oldsmobile through '64. EVERYTHING was over-built in these cars. The axle it replaced was fairly weak, from what I've heard, and this unit was far stronger.

Lots of info here on these cars, look around, do a search... Lets get back to pictures!

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Why not just use the same body---all of it, not just the roof and glass, to save money?

9. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

c-10 simplex . . . don't know why the Pontiac V-8 did not become "the" engine (maybe weight and physical size?). 1979 was the last year for the 400 ci but Pontiac made a 301 ci V-8 thru 1981. During the late '70's- early '80's GM was struggling to meet CAFE regulations and Pontiac was pushing to build a small mid-engined 2-seat 'commuter' car (Fiero). The General agreed to let Pontiac build the Fiero IF they would not build anymore V-8s of their own. Subsequently (much to the dismay of us fans of traditional Pontiac engines) all Pontiacs from 1982 on had V-8s from another GM division, the most offensive being (at least to me) the all new for '82 Firebird and Trans Am with "corporate' (read Chevy) V-8s. Pontiac would soon have nothing to show for their sacrifice since Fiero production only ran from 1984 thru 1988

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'55 with a '56 front clip

[​IMG]

11. They had stronger rear ends and larger, more powerful engines with more tourque. It was a more expensive car than the entry level chev.

12. Thanks Rocky! I appreciate it, that is exactly what i wanted to know! yeah i saw your thread wondering what happened to your old one, hope you find it!

13. swe64

swe64

sweden pontiacs

Attached Files:

14. fat141

fat141

Have no idea where this yard is 'cept in Ca. on the way north to Williams and the BIG M salvage yard. Pics taken in 2008
    Cheers
    Rod

Look closely at the background
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Bwahahaha!!:D

16. I get it, a '57 347 in a 55. I had the same thing, but with a 3 speed. I put it in there after my little brother blew mine up. Was a chieften hard top, and pretty quick.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  17. That's not how GM did it back in those days. Although you can swap doors on some body styles and some of the wagons share quarters/tailgate, each division through 1960 had it's own frame with only a few common parts across each make. Maybe it was a remnant of most of the makes being their own company prior to GM.

In the case of the Pontiac, you'd have to stamp up different pieces anyways to keep the brand identity. If they're longer or otherwise different, it's going to cost the same to make either way.

There are some tales that the Chevy V8 was designed by Pontiac engineering and GM gave it to Chevrolet, sending the Pontiac guys back to the drawing board, not sure how true that is. What made the by then corporate Pontiac block less desirable, who knows, but the 301 was no great loss to the world either, by the time they beat it down for emissions in the late '70s.

It is probably true that they would have kept using it if not for the Fiero, as the third-gen Firebirds - at least early ones - have provisions for the mount position needed to put a 301 in them.

The Pontiac V8 engine really didn't weigh much more or take up much more room than a small block does.

I finally moved my '57 to inside storage a few weeks ago. I was relieved to find it in about the same shape as when I got it. Not sure what's going to happen, buddy has this goofy idea to do an LS1 swap - but it's a 4-door and it would make a nice fun car with a more traditional build.

18. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

'57 Chieftan, shaved door handles, lowered continental kit,rolled and pleated interior and louvered hood!

Attached Files:

19. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Couple of years back at Hot August Nights, Reno.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

21. this guy is one lucky son of a bitch!

22. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i "heard" that the 57 pontiac rear axle will bolt into the 57 chevy and vice-versa.

Let's discuss that.

23. Bwahahaha!

24. In the early, early sixties I had one just like yours only the colors were reversed. My little brother borrowed it and blew the engine. I replaced it with a '57 engine that went to beat hell. He borrowed it again and wrecked it. :(

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

See avatar!
    '57 tri power, stick on the column!
    KK

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It will bolt in any tri-five Chevrolet as far as the C/C on the spring perches go, and the emergency/parking brake cables will fit. But, the driveshaft has to be shortened, the axles/drums have a 5 X 5 pattern, and the brake lines usually need to be modified some. So, it's not completely a "bolt in". Now, the "Canadian Pontiacs" are one and the same, year for year. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. sololobo

sololobo

I love these trifive Ponchos. Had a 55 tudoor Chieftan, and sold it. Regret that move, they just have some real stylin trim compared to the sister Chevys. Good luck ~sololobo~

28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Lovin these Pontiac's. Wierd i rarely see them at car shows not to mention for sale. Unless i am mistaking them for Oldsmobiles when i see them

I think its time to start saving money again :)

29. yeah i agree sevenevez, it is rare to see them ever

30. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver