Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My official 1959 Ford F100 build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jul 15, 2012.

1. metal man

metal man

It looks like your girlfriend is about to start making out with your sister, haha. Cool truck.

2. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

3. Blake84

Blake84

4. Freeberg

Freeberg

How much work is it to flip front axel. I'm in the middle of flippin rear now.

Attached Files:

5. Freeberg

Freeberg

Another

Attached Files:

6. Freeberg

Freeberg

Nice and low

Attached Files:

7. Blake84

Blake84

looks great to me! you should start a build thread and post your progress. it helps people and gives people ideas. i sent you a Private mesage. shoot me a private message so it doesnt keep bringing this thread to the top and piss people off :cool::D

8. Blake84

Blake84

So I was planning on working on the 50 shoebox for a winter project until I took off the valve cover cap and noticed WATER IN MY OIL! I decided time to finish the truck once and for all. I polled the head off and had a valve job and everything cleaned and checked. Then I decided to pull my engine out and see if it needs a rebuild. I also decided now is a good time to clean my entire engine and engine bay so it's super clean. I'm going to reorganize and rewire most of the engine and paint the firewall and engine of my car. After I pulled the engine I removed the oil pan and in the video I say there are tons of metal shavings but thank god it's just crap! I decided I didn't need to rebuild the engine because everything looked pretty solid. I am going to fix a few issues with the oil pan( I didn't make it and I hate it).

Here is video and it was NOT metal shaVings like I thought in oil pan just crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aaM0mfD7YQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here are some shots

This is what started everything pretty sure it was head gasket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at all that power haha 223 75 mph top speed down hill in the wind
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. VonKool13

VonKool13

Now's a good time to put a V8 in that bitch.

10. Blake84

Blake84

I definitely thought about it...I know most don't agree with me but there is something I like About having the original inline 6. I feel they are almost becoming extinct because of how cheap (craigslist not crate engine) and easy it is to throw in a 302 or 351.. I also just cruise around not trying to go fast just low and slow. If I did a v8 id do a flathead just to have the wow factor. But I spent a good week thinking about it! Maybe in the future.

11. Blake84

Blake84

Here's a few progress shots... The wiring was far worse than I thought so I ended up rewiring most of the engine bay. I also worked on painting the firewall. I painted my engine ford blue but it looked like shit with the color of the truck I have and the color of firewall. I painted a box red and set in the engine bay and I liked how it looked so now I am going with a red engine. Ill update again when it's complete at the end of the week. I'm waiting on new freeze plugs, oil pan gasket and oil pump gasket. I cleaned the hell out of the engine inside and out and it def needed it.

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT CHRISTMAS!

Here's before the pressure washing.. I wish all those garage doors in the back were mine ......someday
    [​IMG]

Here's part of the mess wiring. I'm trying to organize everything
    [​IMG]

Here's the way the firewall looks and you can see how it used to look on the right. I chose off white because it matches front bumper and interior. It's coming out really nice and looks great when you open the hood
    [​IMG]

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow! Looking cool blake! Sorry to hear about the motor issues. Are you rebuilding it or just freshening it up?

13. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks! Did top end rebuild took the head in and had a valve job...I was planning on doing a rebuild on the block because I thought there were tons of metal shavings in my oil pan but it was just crap and after having people look at it everything looked really nice so I figured why spend 900 bucks if everything's ok. So I did a really thorough cleaning and replacing gaskets and everything should be good to go. I think I blew a head gasket. It's going to look nice and clean when I open the hood so I won't be as embarrassed haha

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man ain't nothing like having a clean engine bay!!!! Keep posting updates!! :)

15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Glad you chose OFF white - a straight white would have been too jarring.

I guess I might have chosen the body paint color if you could have found some but the off white with red engine and some detailing will look niiice!

16. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks..I drove over an hour each way to get my paint code put into 2 spray cans and without the truck with me it looked like the correct color BUT when I got home it was so far off that I said screw it and chose off white because I have it from when I restored steering wheel and swamp cooler. I was originally going to keep it the color of the car.

17. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Bummer they screwed you over like that. I'm sure those cans weren't cheap either. The off white will look outstanding AND be easier to touch up later I imagine.

I've wondered how to clean up the organizing of my wiring without using that cheapo plastic split loom or just wrapping in electrical tape? There's gotta be a more vintage looking product out there, maybe something that simulates the lacquered cloth wire insultation of the olden days? Or maybe just use longer wires and run them in the plastic loom under the wheel wells? Please take a lot of photos!

18. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Looking good! I've got the same motor in mine (only 262 rather than 223). Are you replacing main bearing seals? Mine leak like crazy and was curious how replacement went.

19. Hey Blake, I believe I posted on your other threads but this is the first I've found this one. I like your idea to stick with the six, although I like Y-blocks the 223 has a place in my heart also. you say you are just looking for "Cruising" power but if you wanted more there is some potential in that old six. We have some friends that ran 135 mph out at Elmo with a 223 based engine in a '53 Ford (Brew 102) so don't sell it short.

Sorry I missed you at Mooneye's, seems I spent most of my time in the staging lanes, would have loved to look your truck over. Oh well ,next time.

20. Keep on keepin on!

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

diggin the swamp cooler dude

22. I cant say it enough....I love your truck! I am going the same direction with mine. Keep that 6 in there.

23. Blake84

Blake84

Yes I did replace them. Replacement was not too difficult. If your talking about rear main bearing seal that is at the back of your engine block where crank goes through. Installation was not too difficult my top main bearing seal was rotted away and leaked ALOT. AFTER YOU REMOVE THE 2 bolts at the back that hold the main bearing seal gasket you then loosen the crank and you can move the rear of the crank up about half an inch and ad some oil to the half ring gasket and just slide it in and then lower the crank back ontop of it. And then insert the other half ring gasket into the block part and I put some silicone where the 2 ends meet and put it all back and applied some silicone in some places just to prevent another leak and in the afternoon I'll add all the fluids and hopefully itsngood:D

Thanks a lot

Thanks

Today I finished some touches on the engine and replaced main bearing seal, put on oil pump gasket, oil pan gasket, manifold gasket, head gasket, new coil, distributor cap, spark plugs and spark plug wire. And then dropped engine back in. I still have a lot of touch up to do including replacing hosing. Some hosing has over spray from painting because I knew I would be changing out. Looking good so far. I'll do a video when I'm done!

Here is original engine when I got it ( it's been cleaned up before this makeover)
    [​IMG]

Here before I put it back in.

[​IMG]

Resting in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Just read through this whole thread... Cool truck and I like how you're cleaning everything up and improving it.

I'm glad you're leaving the 223-six in there.
    I can't imagine a flathead in it!

Malcolm

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sweet man it looks great all cleaned up, for christmas our family got my dad an offy dual port and hedman headers for his 300 6. Best part is the truck was free ! Inlines r cool as hell !

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

26. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Dude, the truck is looking good. i wish mine still had the 6 that it had originally.

27. cginev

cginev
    from PA

Great job! Love how the truck sits!

28. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks man! One of these days we gotta meet up at the swap meet with the trucks or shoeboxes check out each others rides and get some ideas!

GOT ENGINE FIRED UP TODAY!

29. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Thanks for the seal tips and new inspiration for my 223! Looks great - my favorite color combo too. BTW, I've got a spare valve cover and a shallow (no sump) oilpan for your motor if you're interested.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Blake84

Blake84

Thanks alot. I am in the market for new valve cover but I think I might do something fancy not sure yet. Ill let you know. I'm a big fan of your truck def my style. I think the oil pan I have is going to work but if not I will also let you know.

Here's a video of engine running
    http://youtu.be/XI_V6A2C4FI

Need to adjust timing and carb and switch back to mechanical fuel pump to slow down the gas flow